CAMPAIGN: Queen Arkwyn's Crown (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Hyne nearly slips climbing the steps when his 'muddy' boots cause him to slide on the surface for a bit. He kicks the steps until some of the guano had fallen off before continuing upward to see what the captain wants him to see.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

"Stormeel!" the captain greets Hyne cheerfully. "I've wagered that your eyes are sharper than those of our clockwork friend here."

Meleander chuckles with a little musical laugh, and holds a spyglass out to Hyne.

The captain continues. "Tell me what you make of that sail there. Meleander thinks it isn't the Flying Eye Goddess"

He points out the largest sail on the horizon, though it is still minuscule, barely more than a speck, among a few smaller specks in the general direction of Srappa.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Hyne looks into the skyglass to take a look at what is approaching. "Aye, the sail was blue as the sky was it?" He isn't sure he can even discern the details of the ships at this distance even with a spyglass.

He looks to the captain, "Surely the Flying Eye Goddess'd here by now. You think something happened along the way?"
ooc wrote:I'd roll perception but based on the description of the distance the ships are probably too far away for the DC to be achievable
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The Captain's tone had seemed light a moment before, but now he speaks with a hint of seriousness.

"I told Mister Skoth to make haste and follow with The Goddess as soon as the storm passed. I'm sure that will be them."

Looking through the spyglass does make the ship a bit easier to see, but not so much that a definite identification is possible. it is pretty clear that the sail is not blue. it seems white with a hint of yellow.

Further away, behind the closest ship, away in the direction of Srappa, there are rather a lot of ships at sail. More than seems normal. None of the more distant ships seems to be following the closest ship. it looks more like they are scattering randomly.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"That doesn't seem like The Goddess' colors.. And I can't speak for certain but the ships look like they're either making some kind of formation or trying to flee the area."

He lowers the telescope then looks to the captain, "Sir, do you know anything about a white sail with yellow on it?"
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"Yellow? Not blue?"

The Captain looks disappointed.

"There are 16 different ships that I am aware of that customarily use yellow or gold emblems on their sails." Says Meleander. "Limited only to those which regularly use Srappa as a port of call"

"Of those, I am aware of six that were likely to have been at harbor the night we left." Meleander continues. "But I could have missed one. I am busy, and I can't keep track of *every* sail"
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Limited to Srappa?" He asks, reaffirming his attention to the subject, "I don't suppose they do much distant travelling then.. I can only think they must be some kind of watch on patrol. Perhaps after what happened the other night?"
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"Perhaps." The Captain glances at the distant sail. "Well, even if that isn't the Goddess, I'm sure they will be headed this way soon"

He says this, but doesn't sound completely confident

"I best go see what my crew is up to. Thank you for your time, Stormeel"

Captain Crawford turns to head back to the stairs that lead down to the ship.

Meleander continues scanning the horizon with the spyglass. He doesn't seem to be focusing on the sails anymore.

The little Kobold that Hyne followed earlier is visible not far away, collecting sea-gull eggs from crevasses in the rock.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Hyne looks through the spyglass again with a quietly shared concern. Even should the Goddess eventually come, how did the ships that were at port in the beginning manage to outpace it to reach this point?

Since he was never instructed to do anything else, he decides to keep to the watch for awhile longer to monitor the ships to see how they continue to move.
ooc wrote:BTW can I PM you an .rpg file I was working on to have a password removed?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Sorry for the long absence! Trying to post more regularly now
Some time passes. The wind blows. The little Kobold slowly fills a basket with seagull eggs

The ship gradually gets closer. It tacks back and forth a bit, but seems to be coming directly towards the island.
After a while, Meleander pronounces: "It's not the Flying Eye Goddess"

Meleander offers Hyne the spyglass again.

Should Hyne choose to look, he will see:
There is a stylized golden scorpion on the sail. The flag at the topmast is black.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Lifting the sight to his gaze and lines it up to the direction of the ship. The ranger tries to hide the magnitude of his concerns as he takes a deep breath. The black flag catches his interest- it doesn't match the design of the other masts and it is located near the top where it can easily be seen. He tries to remember his studies at the military academy to recall what it might mean to see a ship using a black mast to signal.

((1d20 Intelligence check))

If he can't remember or if it was never something they were briefed on, he will simply ask Meleander what it means.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

{{1d20 Intelligence check}}
Judge Slimehold
Master Judge of Battles

Post by Judge Slimehold »

<p><b>Bob the Hamster</b> rolls...</p><ul><li><b>1d20 Intelligence check:</b> 7</li></ul>
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Hyne can't think what a solid Black flag means. It doesn't have a skull and crossbones on it.

When asked, Meleander replies "In this part of the world, a black standard signals preditory intent... It means that she is hunting someone, and she doesn't care who knows it."
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"You reckon that's why the Flying Eye Goddess is seeing delays? That's Scorpion Le Brau's symbol right? She must be commanding the seas with that amount of clout right about now."