Hype Up Your Game Thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

Baconlabs wrote: I like the subtle pixels indicating where the paths under the roofs go, assuming that's some sort of secret passageway...
Yeah this sort of tile would be meant to be a secret passage. I'd actually probably make it even more subtle. I think this seems to obvious for the player. The fact that there's a huge chunk of wall taking up the room is hint enough that there may be a secret haha.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I love being able to see where characters' stats will be at level 20 (my cap) rather than just 0 and 99.

I love being able to give individual characters different experience growth rates.

I can feel the progress.
Attachments
Just because you're a main character and a bright student in a given field of study doesn't make you an authority on related fields.
Just because you're a main character and a bright student in a given field of study doesn't make you an authority on related fields.
Trytuges0004.png (15.68 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Hey y'all. I made a tech demo for a potential minigame, or maybe even a standalone game, depending on how appealing it is. I'd really appreciate some basic feedback on how it feels.

It's on the Games page, here: https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=133804

Specifically,
  • How did you feel playing the demo? Anxious, bored?
    How long did it take to figure out how to play? Was it unclear what the goal was?
    Does anything feel out of place, mechanically or thematically?
Hit me up in this thread, PMs, or Discord if you have the time.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Nice atmosphere - premise, music and graphics fit well. But there there doesn't seem to be any real tactics to it. Is letting the plants grow to cover the whole map meant to be bad? That way you ensure you won't die since baddies stop spawning, but if that happens the game has no ending and you have no choice but to quit. Pretty anticlimatic. Whether you get stuck in the weeds or not. Even if you become completely stuck you can just keep gaining points forever by cutting down plants next to you!
Even if you don't let the map get covered, letting the plants spread is to your advantage because the baddies don't walk past them, and get stuck behind them.
However as soon as the plants start to spread it's probably too late to stop it from growing out of control.

So I think it needs more in the way of strategy.

Also, pressing 'X' gives you 10 points regardless of whether you cut down anything. And pressing X twice in a row locks you in place for longer, which is annoying.

Also, touch NPCs in the OHR always seem unfair! Takes a while to get used to the fact that just getting near them is game over, even if they don't contact you.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

TMC wrote:Also, touch NPCs in the OHR always seem unfair! Takes a while to get used to the fact that just getting near them is game over, even if they don't contact you.
If only there were some sort of benevolent developer listening in who could add a new NPC trigger behavior :angel:
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Ah, yes, those are some pretty major design flaws. Exactly what I was looking for! Suspending NPC obstruction would allow the baddies to move through the plants, which would make them more of a problem than a solution. The idea was that if you got completely stuck in the plants, it's essentially a game over, because the monsters can come kill you. I guess that's not a problem if they can't move through the plants though!

I need to take the whole thing back to the drawing board to figure out strategy. I don't want to add anything if I don't have to. Perhaps the simple act of designing an actual level, rather than making it a big square would make it more interesting overall.

What I will add is some kind of ending. Time limit or goal or something. You're right, it is anticlimactic. Probably because I didn't program in any climax.

Thanks for the feedback. It's exactly what I needed.

(the touch npcs are brutal, but you know, that's just the way things are sometimes)
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TheMan
Red Slime

Post by TheMan »

fledgeling idea for a cowboy based rpg with an unconventional battle system
Attachments
CACTUS AVARICE0000.gif
CACTUS AVARICE0000.gif (314.8 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Have I shown off anything regarding WitchX on the forums yet?
Attachments
Treasure, popping up out of nowhere as it always does.
Treasure, popping up out of nowhere as it always does.
witchX0041.gif (245.42 KiB) Viewed 3086 times
Selling party members for profit is something you can do.
Selling party members for profit is something you can do.
witchX0023.png (9.05 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

That looks great! I am curious about the gameplay
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

All the work you put into that and other games actually makes me feel bad for working on textbox fade options :)
I don't think you've showed any battle screenshots?
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Oh, yeah, those are pretty important to an RPG.
Attachments
witchX0042.png
witchX0042.png (14.45 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Really went all in on your halloween game. Looks great.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Creative use of the heroes in battle, like it.
Last edited by guo on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vvight.wordpress.com
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Reminds me of how in my newbie game, the heroes all faced towards the camera in battle.

And on the subject of my games, I haven't even opened up Custom since uploading Trytuges.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Threw together a quick test. Not sure where I'm going with this yet or even if I'll stick with this engine for this one.
Attachments
BigPig.PNG
BigPig.PNG (14.36 KiB) Viewed 2846 times