Space Demo Development

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

CarbonatedSlime
Slime

Space Demo Development

Post by CarbonatedSlime »

I'm gonna post my progress on the game in this thread as a way of keeping myself accountable for learning OHR and socializing with others. Maybe that's an annoying thing to do, but hey, whatever. I don't think I'll be posting here much for a bit, as I'm still currently going through the tutorials, but I want to chatter about it.

So when I was going through an art tutorial, I started playing around with paint for a title screen for my game. I discovered that by using the crayon function in MS Paint, I could make little rough stars. I also have a Word program from Windows XP on my computer, so you know what that means? Word Art!

Here's what I ended up with.
Attachments
title page.png
title page.png (51.99 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
Last edited by CarbonatedSlime on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

This thread is an excellent idea :)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Paint has a crayon tool? I don't remember having such luxuries in the Win XP days!
Titlescreen is definitely from 2001, though.
CarbonatedSlime
Slime

Lol, I have Windows 7 on my computer, but I brought over the XP version of Word from an old computer, because modern MS Office is continually tracked by Windows and continually updated in the background whether you want it to or not. I'm now living by a vow to never purchase any Windows higher than seven (Linux is my friend). Later on, when I feel less lazy, I'm going to use a workaround to put the XP version of Win Media Player on Win7, because the only reason it doesn't work is because Win7 tells you it doesn't -- if you trick the computer into thinking that the old Media Player is newer, then it'll work fine.

Lol, WordArt is pretty great. I'm having so much fun with it. I just used old Word to do the Word Art, then copied it over to paint. The only downside, ironically, is that while my carbonated bubbles picture looked fine on XP Word, Win7 paint made it look all pixelly and ugly. Which is fine for my purposes now, but ironic that the old program seems to know what it's doing better than the newer one.
woahpotato
Red Slime

Post by woahpotato »

is
is that
word art
holy crap, we actually needed this game
please, continue
i'm interested
CarbonatedSlime
Slime

Believe me, I'm all about the WordArt!
CarbonatedSlime
Slime

Not much new to add, as I have added a dash of slacking to my life (among other things), so here's some tile work I did. There's basically only one map in my game, since it's space. There will naturally be planets and whatnot in it.

For the tiles, I'm doing them by faction. I'm not 100% sure how this is going to work as far as art goes (never done this before), so much of the space art is going to be experimental. For now I'm kinda just doing placeholders until I understand the scale of how this art fits into the finished game. For now, I created different colored stars. Since there will be two alien factions, three human factions, and general space, that's what the colored stars are for, so you know whose territory you're in. The asteroids/planets I did there were just me playing around. I'm probably going to do those in Paint, later.
Attachments
tiles1png.png
tiles1png.png (13.3 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

So you spend most of the game flying around space, as opposed to walking about as your characters? I like this! Will there be encounters on space stations, asteroids, other ships etc where you directly control your party?
vvight.wordpress.com
CarbonatedSlime
Slime

Absolutely! That's going to be the basis of the game. I'm not going to spoil things too much, but it's definitely a game about interactions.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Let me know if you need a playtester or feedback :)
vvight.wordpress.com