Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

hitting f12 takes a screenshot in game
ctrl f12 records an animated gif
thecrimsondm
Slime

Post by thecrimsondm »

Thank you, Spoonweaver, I've been looking around for ages trying to figure out how to get good screen shots or gifs out. XD

So here's a screen shot of both One Pirate and Masks.

One Pirate is the top image.

Masks is the bottom image.
Attachments
Masks0000.png
Masks0000.png (10.54 KiB) Viewed 5287 times
crystalcaveV20000.png
crystalcaveV20000.png (10.14 KiB) Viewed 5287 times
Last edited by thecrimsondm on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Baconlabs wrote:My game (working title: Viridian Dreams) will be more of a Strategy game than an RPG. Will it count as a Strategy-RPG? I'd like to think so. On one hand, there won't be any traditional "gain experience to earn levels and increase your stats" mechanic, and you won't be rewarded immediately after each battle you get into. On the other hand, the game will be broken down into "missions", many of which will be optional, that reward the player with resources to buy new items and unlock new skills for different characters.

Basically, if you'd qualify X-COM as an RPG in any capacity, my game will qualify too.
Hmm, that's a tough one. I'd definitely count a game like Jagged Alliance 2 as an RPG, and I know that one is similar to X-COM. What you're describing seems a little off-brand to the RPGs that HotOHR typically encourages, though. We'd have to see how it plays when you release it. This year's standards are pretty open to interpretation, though, so you'll probably be okay. Release it anyway.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hey Guys,

I've updated the "Some Useful Functions" thread with a new version of my "Scenery Sounds" script, which I've tailored in such a way that anyone could use for any OHRRPGCE project. I'm posting the link here for your convenience.

If you want to add a new dimension of sound to your games without having to do any of the hard work in scripting or updating where sounds should play, then give this script a look (and consideration).

Its purpose is to play ambient sounds at the map, local, and limited levels. It does not include sounds played when NPCs are triggered. This is simply the freeform sound design you might experience while wandering around a map.

This would make for a great addition to your Heart of the OHR entries and hopefully increase their quality of experience.

Again, that link can be found here.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Oh my... I've always intended to have this feature in future, but this makes thongs a whole lot easier. Many regards.
vvight.wordpress.com
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Sure thing.

I made one slight change to the script called "sound range" to account for tag variables getting cleaned between steps. Because I had added that tag off/tag on feature last-minute, I'd forgotten to include the reset versions, which would've been a disaster if you turned off a tag and suddenly couldn't hear anything anywhere. This should fix that potential problem. Recopy to your scripts if you've already ported it over.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh yes, I meant to also tell Mammothstuds that he can record a gif using Ctrl+F12, since he seems to be using some other software. thecrimsondm: the screenshot/gif keys are actually documented in the F8 Debug Menu. Not the most obvious place for them, I guess, but all the other keys are shown there.
FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:Just remembered a possible bugfix/feature request I'd thought of a while back, so I figured I'd go ahead and post it here before I forget it again. Here goes: an option to hide stat increases in shops. Preferably on a stat-by-stat basis per item, just like how it works for the hero status screen.
Sorry for missing this earlier.
It hadn't occurred to me that stat visibility is only defined on a hero-by-hero basis, so there are no global settings for it which shops could use. It's pretty odd that you have to duplicate visibility settings for each hero. I think there should be a global set of default stat visibilities, then in the hero you could choose to override the default if your heroes use their stats differently, like not using magic at all. And shops could the use the global settings.
But OK, you also want per-item settings overriding the default visibility? I guess I could do that (I feel like that settings for how something is displayed in shops should be defined in the shop-item editor rather than the item editor), though it seems like a feature that would hardly ever be used, honestly. Maybe what's needed is more control over how an item appears in a shop, like an option to show some piece of text (e.g. "The best armor you'll find in town! +5 Def") and an option to hide the stats display.
The Wobbler wrote:Counterpoint: There absolutely are some games we should be ashamed of but you'll only really know that in retrospect (I've got a few of them myself) and many no-budget indie games have way more interesting stories and characters than the big budget AAA games.
Oh, I thought you had documented every one of your games on the superwalrusland wiki. Not so?
Last edited by TMC on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote: Oh, I thought you had documented every one of your games on the superwalrusland wiki. Not so?
Most of the crappy joke games were never up there. I recently redid the whole site and haven't redone the wiki yet but it's only going to contain games I'd actually want people to play (and ones without any copyrighted music/character cameos)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, I didn't realise you took down the wiki completely. Too bad (until you put up the new one - the new site looks great)...
...yet, I see that the website is oriented towards the audience of people who have played C. Kane or Horse Game (that was popular, right), or will play Fighto Fantasy, who you want to direct towards other good games, not the completely different OHR audience who already know about the other stuff you've released. I don't know how to reconcile those contradictory demands, but wish I knew, for the OHRchive site I'm still planning. Maybe just use robots.txt to ban web crawlers.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

But OK, you also want per-item settings overriding the default visibility? I guess I could do that (I feel like that settings for how something is displayed in shops should be defined in the shop-item editor rather than the item editor), though it seems like a feature that would hardly ever be used, honestly. Maybe what's needed is more control over how an item appears in a shop, like an option to show some piece of text (e.g. "The best armor you'll find in town! +5 Def") and an option to hide the stats display.
Yeah, I was thinking the option to hide stats should be through the shop editor rather than the item editor -- I guess I should've specified that it would be "per shop thing" rather than "per item." Global settings would work for the way I intended to use it (like a "Hide _____ in shops" bitset) but I figured per-shop-thing options would make it possible to do a little more with it rather than just having some stats never shown and others always shown.

On the topic of shop listings, I noticed that at some point shops started listing the "short name" of an item on the right side no matter what the "long name" for the shop menu is set to. I'm not sure if the right side of the shop screen just didn't show the name at all before and the short name was added, or if it used to show the long name in both places and that changed... but I did notice the short name popping up there when previously only the long name defined in the shop thing listings was used.

EDIT: Since I probably haven't posted any screenshots since May, here's a few now. Some are slightly older than others, so if you notice some new blue outlining on the main character's hair in some screenshots that wasn't in others... that's why. I found his hair was blurring together with brown floors a bit too much and figured I'd fix that before this thing was available to the public.

Saving is allowed anywhere in towns, but outside of safe areas like that you'll need to find a save point. If you're in a "world map" type area, you can also save by setting up camp with a Tent item (early on they're single-use "Cheap Tents," but eventually you'll be able to buy a reusable one.)

Hmm... wonder where this random little cave might be hidden.

Image Image
And here's the first glimpse at the game's first major city. In addition to the inn/pub near the center of town, there's the standard weapon/armor/item shops, several houses you can visit, a pair of docks on the eastern end of town, and a church where the main character can learn some new magic. Plus some Bob the Hamster references.

And don't worry, this won't be Okédoké-level potty humor with fart attacks (and later a summonable dog adding pee and poop to the mix)... but every now and then there'll be a brief moment of silliness like the guard here.
Last edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

I'd like to go ahead and thank whoever's responsible for making the slice editor the way it is today. Not sure how long "re-position the slice preview window" has been a feature, but it's been immensely helpful for me, along with being able to freely resize the CUSTOM window.
Attachments
ViridianDreams0003.png
ViridianDreams0003.png (12.06 KiB) Viewed 5143 times
Last edited by Baconlabs on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Since I just got a pretty big map done, I figured it was screenshot time again.

Yep, the big map I just got done is a castle. Two full floors plus tower and storage rooms. The king here will send you on your first couple of quests early in the game, and then things that happen around that time will tie in to where the story goes from there.

(You don't ever get access to the Royal Bedroom.)

Image Image
Recurring minor character Chef JePoo (you may recognize him as one of the gym leaders from Puckamon) makes another appearance here, this time as the Royal Chef of this particular castle. Food poisoning in Eastham Kingdom has reached epidemic levels.

Also present in the castle: several readable books, which unlike most books in games are more than just one textbox long. Each box gives you the choice of "Read More" or "Stop" until you get to the end, in case you ended up accidentally opening a book and don't want to go through the whole thing.

Testing out the second party member. Flyswatter Arrows do extra damage against bugs, of course! His presence makes the higher-level random encounters along the southern coast, where you're not really supposed to go yet, a lot more manageable. Haven't quite gotten to the point where he joins normally, but figured I should make sure everything works with him before that.

Since stat gains on level-up don't go by the default system, I had to add a script to catch new characters up to the party average when they join (with randomized stat gains added per level, so they're not stuck still having level 1 stats despite being level 6 or 7.)

Also found out thanks to that script that it's possible to reach levels faaaaar beyond 99 when leveling up is done with a script! I guess this might have been possible even without scripts ever since customizable level caps became a thing (I never tried to see if it was possible to set the cap to anything over 99, since generally in my games it's rare to get characters anywhere near the level-99 mark, let alone over it!), but this is the first time I've ever actually seen levels over 99 in the OHRRPGCE.

I didn't keep going to see just how far it could've gone (I figured maxed-out HP, MP, attack, and magic was more than enough already XD) but level 200-something definitely doesn't seem to break the system.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
thecrimsondm
Slime

Post by thecrimsondm »

The first two games that I have in the contest were not originally made with the contest in mind, but the project I have been working on slowly this past, however many weeks I've been at the grindstone, is. The game, "Currently titled, Monster Soul." Is meant to be a game much in the same vain as Farethere City or Undertale where the story revolves around meeting a colorful cast of characters and befriending them while helping sort out there problems and learn about their past. This game also has monster hunting mechanics much like pokemon, Digimon Adventure, or Robomon. It will probably last between an hour or two of gameplay when finished, though I don't know if it will all be done by the time the contest is over, I will have a sizable demo out by then at least.

Now I don't know a lot about plotscripting or anything like that so I may need assistance with a few things before its completed. Right now I can share a screen shot of one of the battle screens used for testing. Feedback and questions are very much welcomed. Thank you. XD
Attachments
Monster Tamer0004.png
Monster Tamer0004.png (10.48 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Cute! While already pretty good, your sprites would really benefit from some anti aliasing.

https://rhlpixels.deviantart.com/art/An ... -733674193
vvight.wordpress.com
thecrimsondm
Slime

Post by thecrimsondm »

guo: Thanks. I aim to try and make every 'catchable' monster be cute, awesome, or silly. Maybe a combination of them where possible. These are far from finished sprites for most of the characters, so I'll take a look at AA for them. XD