CAMPAIGN: Normin's Adventure (The Unburning) (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

The wizard hrms, "Is that so? I would hope that shouldn't arise as a problem for myself, hmhm. Do such materials or their sources often get imported, or do regulations try to evade the harsher types?"

When asked about what he wants to do with the worm he looks up at it, "Of course not, when sober. To be honest, I'm not sure what I would do with the creature."
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

"Import and export laws are relatively lax in Great Bakak...at least where animals are concerned. I have never had any difficulty importing Marble Worms, although I don't currently have any in stock. The only thing I have ever had trouble getting through customs is Rebuker Beetles, and that is not because of their dangerous properties, but because they are considered invasive pests by the Farmer's Guild because of what they do to the Blastroot Crop... but for that same reason, I have easy access to a domestic supply." She gestures towards one of the other boxes that contains brightly colored beetles of various sizes, from the side of a thumb to the size of a fist."

She opens a hatch on the top of the centipede box, and extracts one with a gloved hand. It writhes gently and wiggles its myriad legs, but does not seem distressed.

She drops it into a cloth bag and ties it closed. The bag writhes gently.

"That will be 10 gold. Return for refund is only allowed before you let it bite someone."
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Oh dear, I'm afraid I overestimated my stock of coins. I'm afraid I'll have to save a bit more for this creature," he points out when he realizes he mistakenly chosen a centipede beyond his current budget.

After receiving an explanation it does seem like there are few limits on what creatures are available in the local area. When unable to narrow information down thanks to this revelation, he retrieves a flask with a syrup-like substance in it, "What about this? I had extracted this from the scene outside of a recent fire. I was not able to see what had caused the explosion so perhaps you might know more about what it might be."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"Oh, the fire yesterday? Interesting." The woman looks Normin with more curiosity than she had before.

She takes the flask that Normin offers and looks at it carefully, holding it up to the light, and then opening it and smelling it, a tiny careful smell first, a deep whiff.

"Hmm... I know this poison. Blood of the Headless Worm is an active ingredient." She gestures towards a box that contains long wriggling pale-bodied grubs. "If ingested, it paralyzes the body completely, but leaves the victim's head conscious and responsive."

She re-closes the flask and gives it back to Normin.

"Though it is a small amount, it would not be wise to be caught with it. The Office of the High Judge's criminal court is the only place that is legally permitted to possess this substance. They call it 'Bene Interrogator'"
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin is pleased at all that he learned today, both academically and in pursuing the trail. "Curious that this was found during a fire, let alone a building that was set ablaze that peculiarly isn't the criminal court. That alone gives me cause to suspect foul play, hrhm."

When he retrieves the vial, he says, "I will heed your warning. In fact now that I know its core ingredient, what it looks like, and its effects on the body, I might simply just dispose of the contents now that it is of little use to me, hm."
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"When you dispose of it," says the shopkeeper advises, "Don't pour it down a drain. Though it is not effective as a poison in diluted doses, that doesn't mean it is healthy in diluted doses."

She seems to be thinking for a moment, and then adds, "If you are interested in the topic of substances that are found in places where the High Court has not sanctioned them to be, I suggest you consult an expert. I can refer you to one, if your intentions are completely lawful."
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"It depends on what is meant by lawful. Morally I've no need to use this knowledge for my own gain, but lawfully I've not much authority for conducting the investigation that I've embarked on. Regardless, I would be interested to hear from an expert on these matters."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The Shopkeeper nods.

"Well, my friend does have lawful authority to investigate poisons, so if that is what you want to do, he might be the right person to collaborate with."

She rummages through a drawer in the back of the shop until she finds some paper and a quill pen, and as she writes, she says, "This is his business address"
shopkeeper wrote:Sgt Pluton Gogol
Guild of Executioners
King's Row Substation
115 King's Row South
Poor Quarter
"If you do decide to go and see him, tell him that Cybelle sent you... And do be forewarned... he is an... unusual person."
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

It seems that Normin has a reason to keep the poison after all. "Oh hohmm, after plenty of drinks any person is unusual enough for me. I shall make my way over there, and thank you."

He looks at the parchment. An unusual person with a "Sgt" title? Perhaps a war enthusiast of sorts? He departs the shop and looks around. Traffic has always been an issue in the bustling city, he'll need a way to most easily get to the Poor District from this Market District.

{{1d20 + 3 Untrained Int roll to recall the layout of the city}}
Judge Slimehold
Master Judge of Battles

Post by Judge Slimehold »

<p><b>Newbie Newtype</b> rolls...</p><ul><li><b>1d20 + 3 Untrained Int roll to recall the layout of the city:</b> 17 + 3 &rArr; 20</li></ul>
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Normin should have an easy time finding the Guild of Executioners Substation on King's Row South.

King's Row is one of the two main roads that cuts through the poor quarter towards the desert. Where Sausage Row angles south-west towards the Smokefields, while King's Row angles south-east towards the Caravan Depot on the edge of the desert.

All he has to do is look for a building with the Executioners Guild's crest on it, which looks like an Axe over a Crown.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

He approaches the door then promptly knocks. If the door is one with glass fixed into it, he will look through it to see what kind of activity he might interfere with.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The Executioner's Guild Substation is a small 2 story stone building surrounded by taller wooden tenement appartments. On the curb nearby is a push-cart shop where a dwarf is selling rings of fried dough with sugar-paste.

The stone face of the building is painted a sky-blue shade. Some patches if the paint look fresh, while other patches look worn and weathered.

There are some small windows high up the wall. They have bars, but no glass (which is not unusual in this part of town)

The front door is heavy wood. It has no window, just an Executioner's Guild crest of axe over crown.

The door is slightly ajar, propped open with a broken brick.

Inside Normin can glimpse a dusty threadbare carpet, three mis-matched chairs, and the corner of a desk.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

With how dire the organization and decorative materials of the room within is, Normin almost wonders if he had accidentally wandered to one of his own rooms. He creeks open the door slightly further, moving around to find his sight gazing into more of the room. He calls out into the room, "Hello? Is there a sergeant Gogol that I might speak to here?"
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Inside the Substation is a cramped and dusty office. It contains rather too much furniture for a room of its size, and all the furniture looks like it came from a second-hand shop.

In addition to far too many chairs, there are three large desks, a bunch of tall filing cabinets with rusty locks on every drawer, and a narrow staircase in the back.

Of the three desks, the one closest to the door is the only one that is occupied. It is also the messiest. An old dwarven woman sits behind stacks of paperwork which spill onto nearby chairs. A guild of Executions wooden mask is pushed up on top of her head like a hat.

She looks at Normin, and says in a gravelly voice "Gogol? You just missed him. He had to go to the high court house this morning"