CAMPAIGN: The Unburning (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

DM wrote:The 8 Alarmstones and 1 stationstone are not easily portable. Each one of them is slightly bigger and much heavier than Normin himself. Transporting one in Ursula's fire wagon is totally practical... but if you loaded all 8 Alarmstones up there, there would be no room for the Firefighters to sit.

Convenient portable long-distance communication does exist in this world-- y'all even saw an NPC use it yesterday, but I don't think anyone noticed it
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Hmm... This might be more difficult than originally he thought. For now, Kailyn will head for the headquarters (completely oblivious of anything that's happened) and see if he can wrangle some official-looking sort to help him with this most dastardly of crimes.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Kailyn

When Kailyn arrives at the headquarters, he sees Ursula and Petrol backing a four-horse wagon into the stable door around back. The wagon is bright red, so freshly painted that it looks sticky. The horses look mis-matched and ill-trained, so backing the wagon up isn't going very smoothly.

Kailyn also spots someone he recognizes walking down Bad Noodle Lane towards the headquarters. It is the Dragonborn Executioner Officer Acrtor Von Telematon, who Kailyn spoke to the previous day.

Normin

Now that nobody else is in the room, Ebald approaches Normin again.

"Mr Big Hat, I wanted to get your opinion on something."

he looks a little uncomfortable, as if he is about to broach a subject he is uncertain about.

"This morning I had breakfast with some old friends on the University janitorial staff... Old George was acting a bit strange, and halfway through telling me a joke he has told me a dozen times before, he shoved this into my hand under the table."

Ebald proffers a napkin with some crude scrawls on it.

"When I tried to ask him about it, he whirled his back to me, started coughing, said he felt sick, and ran off without paying for his food."

The writing on the napkin is very messy. It reads:

Caldon, Cece, Sharn

See this post
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

"Lord Antagonis, you are a man of distinction. I am sure you can see that House Morgensen is a most honorable house, and it is only petty politics that has forced us to be done with the estate." Of course, this is a lie. Caldon knows it, and Antagonis is probably aware in some corner of his mind, but it is a desirable lie, the kind that someone embroiled in Old Monarchy politics would cling to. "It would be most unfortunate if Richten's Ceremonial Sword were to fall into the custody of someone who was... unable to appreciate it, say."

Antagonis might not be Lord Fairmond, but if he's in any position to purchase the Morgensen estate, then he just might be House Morgensen's ticket out of their current financial straits.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

ooc wrote: :zombie: I didn't realize there was an update directed at Normin so many days ago. I'll have a response made ASAP!
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin looks down at the disposable sheet, allowing the shade of his hat cast over it. Just from the last message he can surmise that the fellow may have been scried, and something about acid, but there is still very little information to go by. Reaching past his hat, he motions to Ebald, "Come, let us have breakfast and a drink. Why not tell me more about this George fellow?"
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Caldon

Mr Antagonis places one finger on the side of his scaly nose. "I hear you, Mr Morgensen, and I follow your meaning. Forgive me for not recognizing who you were at first. Though I am not of a true noble house myself, my parents were business partners of the Morgensen family back in the good old days."

"I'll be direct with you, Sir. My intent for this property was to let my wife loose on it, so her passion for redecorating might have an outlet beyond our own estate. I thought maybe I would have her convert it into a hotel for tourists..." He pauses and looks at the sword again.

"...Ms Pitt has not quoted me her asking price yet, but I think if she realizes that the value of the decor in his house is worth more than the land that the wood and stone are built upon, then I will have no chance of meeting her price... fortunately, I believe I know some... investors... who would appreciate...."

Normin

Ebald sits down with Normin. He picks at one of the pancakes from the basket as he tells his story.

"Well, this morning I met up with some friends from the University Janitorial staff for breakfast. It used to be a tradition of ours when I worked there."

"Old George is is a good fellow, and everybody likes him. Many of the students call him 'Grandpa'. At breakfast he is usually laughing at everyones jokes, and telling belabored puns, but today, he looked like he hadn't slept in a week, and whenever he laughed, it sounded forced. I asked him if he was ill, but he kept saying he was fine."

"Halfway through the meal, he shoved that napkin into my hand under the table, but when I held it up an asked him what it was, his eyes got as big as dinner plates and he knocked his plate right onto the floor. Then he was on hands an knees scooping it up, and when I got down to help him, he jumped back up, declared that he had taken sick, and rushed out of the restaurant."

"My other friends said he has been acting odd all week at work, doing strange hours, and mopping the same floors over and over."
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

"A considerably wise idea, Lord Antagonis. House Morgensen would be in your debt, and we do not forget our debts." Not that circumstances of late have made that an option. "Imagine, if you will, how the Ceremonial Sword of High-King Richten would look above your own mantle -- why, there's a piece your lovely wife could design an entire room around."
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Bits of food seemingly disappear into the large curtain that is the hat overshadowing a large area about the elder mage. As already suspected, the George fellow has gotten himself into a predicament of debatable legality and ethics. And, of course, the mention of acids in the napkin is curious in light of chemicals involved in the recent burning.

"An interesting gossip", a muffled voice suggests, with a slight squishiness to his vocal noise. After a short pause, he tells Ebald in a much clearer, freer voice, "There is a request to visit that I must fulfill before I've gathered the time to investigate your findings, but promise yourself that you'll leave the matters to knowing adults such as myself; It's often foolish to involve oneself in things least understood, hm hm hm."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Caldon

"Lord" Antagonis looks extremely pleased.

"I am so glad we have become acquainted, Lord Morgensen. I'll get in contact with my investors-- good sorts of people, you understand."

At that moment, Elizabreath Antagonis and Miss Pitt bustle into the room.

Miss Pitt gives Caldon a death-stare. "I hope Mr Morgensen isn't bothering you, Mr Antagonis"

Elizabreath bubbles to her husband, "Darling, We have sooo much to talk about, this place is so charming, so quaint, and has so much potential-- But we are going to be late for luncheon with the Benthams!" and then to Miss Pitt, "Thank you sooo much for scheduling us on such short notice! We'll definitely be in touch."

Normin

"Thank you for listening, Normin" says Ebald, seeming grateful to have gotten his worries off his chest.

"I don't know what it could be saying about accids." I guess maybe some of the alchemists use those. its a mystery to me.... And if it comes in handy, I do still have a copy of my old Janitor's key from when I worked at the university."
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Well then, if at all possible I'd like a vial of the acid for study, and if the school has been receiving from a new supplier in recent months in case the acid is being mixed with something else to make our mystery substance."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

DM wrote: This thread is now split into single-player campaigns:

* <a href="https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... ">Normin's Adventure</a>
* <a href="https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... 16">Cece's Adventure</a>