Preview: HotOHR 2018

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Tactical RPGs definitely count as RPGs if you ask me. The battles are simply represented in a different manner, graphically, pretty much. But it's functionally almost identical to a turn-based RPG.

@Gaplan: good choice in FE game ;) Also, if you're serious about making a tactical RPG in the OHR, let me tell you from experience, there's a lot of groundwork you have to lay down. It's definitely not straightforward, which is probably a large contributor to why none of the OHR tactics games have been finished. If you need any help, reach out. I can try to help you avoid some of the mistakes I made when trying to script a tactical RPG.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

It's simply a turn based rpgs, where you gaining expirience and giving gear to your party just like in regular jrpgs, but more strategic looking. Here's one screenshot of Fire Emblem. OHR had a few games of this kind, but they were too raw.
I feel like Fire Emblem style tactical RPGs are still solidly RPGs.

(And I would be delighted to see more OHR games in that style!)
Then I'll allow it. Honestly, this year will probably be the most liberal of interpretations (a sliding scale we've been moving toward since about 2014), where pretty much any type of RPG will be acceptable, but as I said in the original post, don't get used to it because the next one in 2020 will be circling back to the beginning, like it's 2010 all over again. I guess, if you have an experimental type of RPG you've been wanting to do for this contest, this will be the year to do it.
Slight change of plans for Axe Cop since we changed when we're doing the Kickstarter for it, so the public demo won't be available til January. I think that means we miss the cut off, but it means we can make it for the next Heart of the OHR.
When is the full version scheduled? The 2020 contest will probably start early, like around March. But I don't know yet. I was planning on that one running for most of the year, as it *may* be the last one, or at least the last one I do before passing it off to someone else, and I'd want it to be the biggest Heart of the OHR if that's the case, if possible. That's two years away, though. Nothing's confirmed. At any rate, it would be cool to see Axe Cop make the 2020 contest.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

One more week until this madness starts. Anybody else eager to sweeten the prize pot? So far our list looks like:

-video playthrough for all completed games (Kylekrack)

And...that's all so far. I'm also thinking of my own thing to contribute, but I'll talk more about that another time.

Don't be shy, people. Your fan poetry about Mario and Link touring the winner's world (printed on a large poster) is fair game in this contest's prize pool. Most offers welcome (as long as they're reasonable and in good taste).
Place Obligatory Signature Here
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Well hey, I'll throw something odd into the prize pool.

1st place gets a catchable monster based on something from that game added to the next version of Puckamon. This will be added whenever the reserve party size is expanded, since that's going to need to happen before I can go much further with Puckamon (especially since the number of hero definitions has already expanded so I can add new monsters without any trouble!) If by some odd chance the winning game's entire cast of heroes/enemies/NPCs are all humans, there will be a trainer battle based on one of its characters instead.

Last place gets an NPC added to Puckamon that references it in some way, possibly a very vague way.
Last edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'll throw in a gift card for a hamburger place of the winner's choice.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I can do Amazon gift cards again.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

In past years I offered bug-fixes and small feature requests to everybody who finished-- I won't do that this year because my free time is badly limited right now, and I wasn't that great at delivering in previous years, but I will at least offer one reasonably-sized bug-fix or feature-request to the winner.

I will also totally mail <a href="https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... home-baked chocolate chip cookies</a> to the winner too, provided that they are okay with giving me a shipping address.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Bob the Hamster wrote:I will also totally mail <a href="https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... home-baked chocolate chip cookies</a> to the winner too, provided that they are okay with giving me a shipping address.
Oh SNAP. The real incentives are coming out now. I gotta really put my all into this HotOHR.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I will mail the winner a random box of stuff.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

For the winner, I can write a short little saga about a character of their design, and add him as a minor figure in one of the fictional religions in Starfire.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Although James is too busy (and I've also been really busy this month, though that's not going to continue the rest of the year) I'd really like to revive James' tradition of HeartBugs prizes from HotOHR 2010, 2012 and 2014. This time things will be different - I want to make sure these will be useful to people for their contest entries. Previously lots of people made requests that were too difficult or vague, or disappeared without even confirming they were entering, let alone submitting a game, which really ruined the delivery rate.

I will offer every entrant in the HotOHR contest an OHRRPGCE engine feature or bugfix of their choice, with the following conditions:
  • Starting from June 1st I'll accept requests for features or prioritised bugfixes and will attempt to implement them within three months after accepting (or as soon as possible, near the end of the contest). Since we're on a three-monthly release schedule (Fufluns fiasco excepted), that means that if you don't delay, your request could appear in a stable engine version months before the HotOHR deadline
  • I won't accept requests unless I can finish them before the contest deadline - so, request before December
  • I will only accept requests after you declare that you are entering the contest and have posted at least two substantial screenshots to show you've made a real start (more than just a trivial titlescreen or something else whipped up quickly)
  • If you go a month without any hint of working on your game and I haven't delivered yet, I'll pause the three-month delivery countdown! Disappear and you won't get your feature!
  • "Prioritised bugfix" means a bug that we haven't or wouldn't promptly fix anyway, for whatever reason (e.g. it's not an easy fix or would otherwise be very low priority)
  • The feature/prioritised bugfix has to be something that I expect I can do in at most two afternoons, and has to be something James and I actually want in the engine. If it's trivial or something I was about to implement in the next months anyway or a typical bug, then the request is free and you get to pick again! If I reject it (it's too big or unexpectedly turns out to be too much work) then I'll ask you to pick something else.
  • I know it's very hard for you to know how big a feature is two afternoon's work. Just ask. I suggest you aim high. Many requests James accepted in previous years were by this standard too big back then but now would be of acceptable size, thanks to other preparatory work done on the engine.
  • Unlike 2010 and 2012, no bug bounties if I don't deliver or deliver late ;) And no penalties or worries if you don't enter a game; I'm more concerned about people doing something
  • This is in addition to James' feature/bugfix for the winner
Edit: Added June 1st start, because I want to prioritise work on animation and graphics features first; and minor clarifications.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Gaplan
Red Slime

Post by Gaplan »

For 2nd and 3rd places i will buy a steam game of their choice (within 5-10$) :) , because the first place is already getting too much goodies >:(
sorry for bad english :v:
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

TMC, I love you. And everyone else offering prizes.
For my feature I'd like:

*Option to hide experience and/or level on the stat & hero screens.

And if I may be so bold/cheeky:

*Setting attack animation handles to both enemies and heroes.

Voila!
vvight.wordpress.com
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Going with improved controller support for my Big Heart Request!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Fixing controller support and hero and enemies handles are in the "happening soon anyway" camp. You may wish to wait until June 1st to see what's coming, since I won't be working on requests before then anyway.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.