OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

I don't know if this is implemented in the latest WIP or not, but maybe in the item editor we can have a per-character "if equipped" tag option?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Going back to attack animations from a while back: I'd love to see an arc animation so that an attack looks like it's being thrown, rather than always using the projectile animation where it just flies straight out of the hero.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

How about an under- and an over- arc animation, so we can really simulate the ole boomerang.
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, OK, I get the picture, we need better attack and attacker movement patterns. Hopefully we will be adding more soon, but first will be working on splitting out the animations from the movement patterns.
I think that an over-arc animation wouldn't really look correct for half a boomerang loop, but both would be useful.

Per-character "if equipped" tags: this has uses, but I feel it probably wouldn't get used very much? Rather than directly add a list of per-hero tags, I note that if my idea for items which can be equipped in multiple ways were implemented, we would get this for free, though each tag would require a separate equip variant definition.

A door link option to set player direction is a good idea. I'm not rushing to add it right now though; the doorlink file format is a mess.
sheamkennedy wrote:Also it would be good if passing a value of -1 to picture number altered the NPC picture to it's default state when using "Alter NPC (who,NPCstat:picture,picture number)." Kind of in the same way that passing -1 to palette number alters the NPC to it's default palette.
Setting the palette to -1 doesn't actually restore the NPC's palette to it original value, it makes it use the default for that walkabout set. So even if setting the picture to -1 restored the original, it would be inconsistent with how the palette works! However, I thought that there was a command to reset npc data to its original value; I'm surprised there isn't. Easy enough to add.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Any word on improving joystick support/enabling them as a default? One thing I'd like to see is a bitset that sets scancode stuff to be the same between a joystick and keyboard, so if for example I have a "key is pressed(key:left)" script it would identify either the left arrow key or the left direction on a controller.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I haven't gotten around to finishing fixing joystick support, but I do plan to do it soon. Maybe during the bugfixing phase for Fufluns. I did buy a usb adaptor for the old PS controllers I have, so now I can actually test joystick support, including multiple joysticks. And I do plan to let you define mappings from joystick buttons to scancodes, similar to how gamepad support in the android port already works, so you will be able to use plain "key is pressed". That might be later, though.
Last edited by TMC on Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Would that include cross-pad / cross-button / whatever the industry is calling that old Nintendo movement control button support? I'd love to play OHR games as I would play them on a Nintendo or Super Nintendo (not just with the joystick). It bothers me that the cross-pad isn't recognized as a keypress.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

They don't work? IIRC the dpad on a PS controller works.
I'll have to add gamepads to inputtest.rpg so we can figure out problems like this.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:They don't work? IIRC the dpad on a PS controller works.
I'll have to add gamepads to inputtest.rpg so we can figure out problems like this.
On the PC controller I have (A Logitech that looks like a PS controller) there's a mode switch to swap functionality of the d-pad and the analog sticks, only one or the other works at a time.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Right, the D-Pad. I knew that.

Okay, so I guess I don't use my controller enough to realize that it works exactly as Wobbler's works. I also have a Logitech controller, though I think mine is modeled after the XBox. When I hit "Mode," I can use the d-pad instead of the analog, though it would be nice if both could work. Maybe that's a design flaw with the controller.

What I do have issue with when playing, and I think this is essentially the same problem Wobbler's having with the lack of consistency in scancode, is that controller functionality only works when you walk around and use items. It doesn't remap with special functions, like using the directional pad to input numbers, for example. I agree that mapping directions to keyvals and keypresses would be a helpful bit. Not saying I want it now. Just agreeing that it would be a good idea to include someday soon.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The Wobbler wrote:On the PC controller I have (A Logitech that looks like a PS controller) there's a mode switch to swap functionality of the d-pad and the analog sticks, only one or the other works at a time.
Right, my PS controller which has analog sticks is the same. Is that the standard behaviour?
It doesn't appear to be possible to read both at once, at least not with this USB adaptor and under Linux with SDL 1.2.
SDL 2.0 might provide more data but I doubt it..
It doesn't remap with special functions, like using the directional pad to input numbers, for example.
But... there's no part of the game player where you're asked to input numbers. On the other hand, I guess we could show the same text input screen used on Android when inputting hero names. In case you don't want to reach for your keyboard... err, sounds like it should be optional.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

For what it's worth, the Dpad in modern Windows for most controllers (outside of the PS controllers that have the swap button) is usually exposed as "POV Hat", for some reason.
Last edited by FyreWulff on Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

That sounds familiar. So if it's a POV hat, it doesn't appear as normal buttons at all? Doesn't that mean that all games have to specifically check for POV hats in addition to buttons, and is it normal to just map the first hat, or all hats, to the arrow keys?
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

In the map editor, when placing NPCs, how about making the current selected NPC more visible on the map? Such as a highlight, flash or icon?

When there's a lot of NPCs, and you're looking for a specific one that's been placed, it can be difficult.
I know you can change the walkabout to something more visible, so, it's not a big deal. Just an idea for finding specific NPCs in the map editor.

EDIT:
How about a mode to view NPCs? I hate when maps are messy and I can't even make out an NPCs number.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

TMC wrote:That sounds familiar. So if it's a POV hat, it doesn't appear as normal buttons at all? Doesn't that mean that all games have to specifically check for POV hats in addition to buttons, and is it normal to just map the first hat, or all hats, to the arrow keys?
first hat.

It gets even worse.. on the wired 360 controller, the dpad is the POV hat. On the wireless 360 controller, the dpad buttons are.. buttons. Why they did that, I have no idea. However, 99% of people using a 360 controller on PC are using the wired one, because it's like.. 20$ vs 60$, plus you have to find and own the adapter for PC.

This Unity doc goes over the default bindings, if it helps any. http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title ... Controller since the 360 controller was so popular for PC, other controllers imitate it when interfacing with a computer.
Last edited by FyreWulff on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.