Faked Mode 7 zooms

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Faked Mode 7 zooms

Post by Foxley »

I was impressed seeing The Wobbler and RMZ do fake Mode 7 sprite scaling using the Shrink dissolve, which led me to think "what if you could do the opposite and zoom a sprite bigger than normal?". I have no idea if this is something that could be implemented within the engine itself, so I thought I could work around it by pre-zooming normal sprites and reimporting them.

I just did an experiment for a little bit this morning using a few of Fenrir's 80x80 sprites, which I resized to 400% in IrfanView and imported as backdrops.

Took me a while to figure out the "dissolve sprite" command but I eventually got some results that I think look convincingly SNES-esque:

Here's a zip of the .RPG and HamsterSpeak files, if you're interested:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lhaf1zhisrochir/zoomtest.zip
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

That... looks.... SICK
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Glad my project could inspire you to try something! That's an awesome workaround!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh yes, you can do a lot of fun things using the dissolves. We definitely do need to just add a simple way to scale and rotate sprites directly.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

This is great to see. I had this exact same idea (importing scaled up sprites and then shrinking them down to normal size) and wanted to try it out. I'm glad you did it, cause I forgot.

I was thinking of using this for a minimap/selection screen, where the sprite is zoomed out while the player is choosing where they want to teleport/fast-travel to. Then when they select a destination, it zooms in and fades to black/white and then loads that map or part of the map. I'm glad to see that will probably work the way I was hoping for.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife