OHR 2018 One-Room Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I uploaded a very basic demo for "Lost on Space Station".
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Just uploaded a demo for Snowshoe Forest! Hopefully I can get real art assets for it soon.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I decided to make a game, even though I said I wasn't going to. I uploaded the (very) unbalanced version with complete-ish mechanics.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

Nice! So many entries. :)

I'll need more time to finish my game.
Could we increase the deadline by two weeks, please?
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Two weeks! That's a big extension! Feel free to finish your game in however long you need, but I don't know if I can justify extending the deadline for everyone. Everyone can chime in, but I think it might devalue the crunch time some people put into their games to finish by this weekend. If you want to submit a demo of your game, it is still a valid submission.
Ps. I love my wife
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

You're right.
So, I'll finish the game later and submit a demo.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Today is the day!

The submissions I am aware of right now are First of all, if I've missed anything, I apologize and let me know so I can add it to the list.

Otherwise, this is the list of games in the running for the Big Kid Club Champion Award. The voting period will begin once everyone has given the OK on their games. I want to make sure voters are playing the version the creator intended them to be playing.

For Voters:

If you did not submit anything for the contest, I urge you to vote for your favorite games. It will be nice to have votes from those who do not have their own game in the running.

How do you vote? Play all the games, make a list, 1-5 in this case, where 1 is your favorite game, and post that list below. I will do a really basic point-based tally to determine who is the winner.

I am also working on a reward for everyone involved in the contest, regardless of voting. You all did a lot of great work, and you deserve credit for that. I'm very pleased with the way this contest turned out. Thank you all for participating. Next time the dimensions will be even smaller ;)
Last edited by kylekrack on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ps. I love my wife
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Accepted and updated.
Ps. I love my wife
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Submit: No Exit
...spake The Lord Thy God.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=132371

This version is the finished version. Well, for that segment of the episode anyway, but the rest is unrelated to this contest.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I uploaded the most up to date version. I think most things work now.

I'm kind of miffed I didn't get to finish, but I got elbow deep into the guts of the OHR battle system over the past two weeks so it was really good practice for whatever I work on next. There're over 80 attacks for this short demo, I put a lot of work into what's basically faux battlescripting.

I'm particularly happy with the mushroom enemy's faux Confuse status ailment, and the Vole giving random bits of advice when you don't hurt it. Also if you use a specific item on the miniboss, all his attacks will instead-chain to eating noises.

Also a friend with a keen ear pointed out that the song from a random Bandcamp album that I used for the overworld is actually some sort of rendition of the Dentist theme from Little Shop Of Horrors. I had no idea!
metalhipslop
Slime

Post by metalhipslop »

This was difficult, but here we go, my list:

1.Delinquent.rpg by Phoenix
2.Snowshoe Forest by Foxley
3.Space by marionline
4.No Exit by TheLordThyGod
5.Phos: Solias by MorpheusKitami
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Awesome! It's too bad that I didn't have time to enter this contest, but I've been watching it closely.

So far I've only played delinquent.rpg. The graphics are pretty astounding! I'm not going to hold the other entries to such a high bar (except in the voting). And it's full of flourishes like animations during NPC dialog. All-round impressive stuff!
I enjoyed the battles to the point I seeked them out although I never fully worked out the differences between the different moves (attacks during the turn-based battles happen so quickly I coudn't keep track of what was going on half the time -- unfortunately that's the way they are in the OHR, by default. I think partially it's because the first-person perspective means all attacks are done immediately without the attackers moving.)
Anyway I was mystified to the point that I don't actually know whether I got better at the battles by the end. I was too low on "DP" (HP) and healing potions to beat the kid-fairies, so had to actually go beat up some other enemies for money first, which turned out to only require 1 or 2 battles. That battle was so so easy the second time, and I don't know whether it was because I levelled up, or played the battle differently.
My main complaint is that some of the dialog was confusing, though it makes sense in hindsight. (I benefited from replaying the start of the game.) The game uses only (somewhat sparse) dialog and you're just thrown into it to draw the obvious confusions. Not a bad way to tell a story. But I got particularly confused because it's possible to sequence break to e.g. walk into the school after ignoring the (also confusing) "once a day is more than enough" message. I'll write up other bugs/typos tomorrow. The fact that the game is non-linear also hinders, meansingthat you have to piece together some references (eg to Rosa) retrospectively.
The game ends after the final boss with a very short half-finished ending, though I didn't really feel cheated out of an ending. I think Feenicks just barely ran out of time and motivation here, as well as kind of writing himself into a corner.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Okay. So here's the situation on my contest entry.

I was at work practically everyday, including an all-nighter, and on the weekend I was out of town (not near my computer). And I have personal problems too, which were quite distracting. So I wasn't able to complete even a protoype.

I was obsessing over making it fit 50x50 tiles, or trying to make 50x50 seem larger than it was, or trying to use as much of the map as possible, as efficiently and concisely etc., basically, all kinds of ways to maximise the use of each tile (and hopefully win that contest bwahaha :p)

The natural 320x200 resolution is rather (imho) inappropriate for this contest. Reason being that it ruins the pacing by showing too much of the play-area at once.
(I also played around with using an obscuring mask to cover tiles/areas until the player gets there.)

I spent a long time designing some stuff and I have lots of different concepts and prototypes. I'm not sure which, if any, will be viable.
One of the things I decided (design pillar) was that the resolution would be quite small, so as not to spoil the contents of nearby rooms, thus enhancing and increasing the tension for the player.

So far I boiled it down to
- a pleasant walk/exploration in a fantasy world
- a horror game set in a castle/mansion/dungeon/dimension
- a maze with randomly generated rooms which ironically wastes a lot of tiles/map space
- a political diplomacy/subterfuge/conflict game with procedurally generated forces and environments, in 50x50

I still want to complete at least 1 entry, though it seems I'm too late.
So you might see the game I was making, it just might be after the contest :p

Good luck everyone.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:57 am, edited 3 times in total.