Sound effects volume control in plotscripting?

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

sotrain515
Red Slime

Sound effects volume control in plotscripting?

Post by sotrain515 »

Is there (planned to be) a way to control the sound effects volume by way of plotscripting commands?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Currently, there's no such option. It's very much planned. Also fades, and panning, which can be combined for crappy "3D" (actually 2D) audio, and seeking within a sound effect or piece of music.
I consider these fairly high priority features. It won't even be all that much work to implement. Not going to be in the next release though. (I can't promise it in any release, but if people want it, it gets prioritised higher)
Last edited by TMC on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

People want it. Hands raised.

But I also think there are better things to prioritize, like making different resolutions work in full screen without warping the image, or having more customizable text and text boxes, including sizes of each, and fonts pulled from the system, for example, so....

It should still be in soonish, though, especially now that designers are trying to distribute their games through commercial channels. But I agree that it probably doesn't have to be in Fufluns. I wouldn't mind seeing a near future release dedicated to user interface, though, like sfx sound adjustment and resolution support in the same update. Maybe tack controller support in that release, too.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Maybe we should actually run a poll...

What do you mean by "warping the image" in fullscreen? Black bars on all four sides rather scaling it up to cover as much of the screen as possible?
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Something like that, yeah. If you change the resolution to something like 448x280, which incrementally scales the standard 320x200 resolution using the same basic ratio, the game doesn't display full screen with the same general proportions as that of the standard 320x200. Instead, it looks stretched, or skewed once it goes to full screen (or compacted would be more accurate). This means that to see the game screen accurately, you have to leave it windowed. Would be nice to have the same general visual maintained in full screen. In other words, changing from windowed to full screen shouldn't mean stretching or compacting the image; it should mean scaling it, and putting black bars at the edges where it can't fill them without stretching, which would be the case for oddly proportioned games that use unusual resolutions.

Time passes....

Actually, as I type this, I'm reviewing Etheldreme's handling of resolution, and it's not as bad as I'd originally thought. The compacting nature of the image when switching to full screen happens when you leave the window sizes at the default 80% and 50% for default and window (I'm guessing what I'm looking at is the test game's 50% display, but I don't know). Once you take them to 100%, it no longer seems terrible or skewed. That said, I find all of these display percentages a little confusing, and I'm not sure why we need them when full screen is selected. I'd think they'd make more sense in windowed mode. As of now, if I switch to 100% in default and test-game windows, then select full screen from the menu, the proper full-screening happens, with the black bars going where they should and the images looking like they should. If I go to full screen when the windows are set to 80% and 50% respectively, the full screen version looks "pushed into itself" at the sides. The black bars are also much thicker at the lower percentages. I guess my complaint is that I don't know why this is useful in full screen. However, when I posted my previous comment, I had different memories of what I'm looking at in the current build, and I don't think the resolution issue in general is as bad now as what I remember it being when it was still part of the secret experimental menu.

I guess it would be nice to know what plans you guys have for resolution support.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The window size percentages are only meant to affect windowed mode, not fullscreen. If you're finding that they affect fullscreen too, that's a bug!

When you're talking about stretching, you mean that the aspect ratio changes when you fullscreen? In other words, the pixels are no longer square?
I'm guessing this happens because gfx_sdl changes the actual resolution of the monitor when fullscreening, to whatever is closest to the requested resolution. It might pick a resolution with a different aspect ratio from your monitor's native one, causing the distortion.
This is one reason why changing the monitor resolution when fullscreening is often undesirable. gfx_directx doesn't do that, but it still only supports 320x200.

And now I hear that Microsoft broke gfx_directx in recent versions of Windows 10. So now we don't have properly working fullscreen anywhere :/ It needs work. I think the best option may be to get the new gfx_sdl2 backend working, which can handle scaling to fill the screen for us.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

You may want to test it. As far as I can tell, full screen is affected by those percentages when you're working with resolutions that are different from 320x200. That's how it appears to me. You can still see the whole screen; nothing is cut off. But, it does look more pressed together than the windowed version.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Can you use your camera and take a photo of the screen with ways? (I figure a screenshot probably won't capture it)