Trying to recover some old music

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Trying to recover some old music

Post by ArtimusBena »

Hey guys! Hopefully you can help. I had an itch to revamp some of my old midi, but I lost the original files a long time ago.

So I went to castleparadox to recover some of the ones I'd uploaded. A lot of them worked, but some of them seem corrupted - midi and mp3 alike, actually.

I seem to remember there being a way to extract music from OHR games, but I could be wrong. Any ideas? Thanks.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

If you can open the game in custom.exe you can export the music from it from the import/export music menu.

Now if the game is password protected then you're SOL as far as I know.
Working as intended!
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Yeah, I'm pretty much SOL then. I wanted to grab my stuff from Onlyoneinall's "Bloodlust" demo. And it's PW protected.
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Unless an OHR developer is willing / able to do so for me?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Here is a trick that works even if you don't have the password.

Whenever you play the game, all the music gets unlumped into your temp folder.

Play the game, and search your temp folder for .mid files. They will have names like 0.mid 1.mid 2.mid 3.mid and so-on. You can copy them to another folder before closing game.exe

You'll have to listen to them to figure out which is which
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The easiest way to find the path to the temporary directory is to look in g_debug.txt.
Also, BAM music will have names like bloodlust.## where ## is a number. They get converted to MIDI tracks with file extension .bmd (actually midi) the first time they're played.
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Thanks guys, I ended up having to use the temp folder trick! After it accepted the PW, it crashed. I think the game might be a biiiiit too old.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I see that Bloodlust has a tiny silent BAM file. I'm guessing you encountered the infamous MIDI looping crash bug, often triggered by very short MIDI tracks (and BAMs autoconverted to MIDI). That's valuable information; I haven't been able to reproduce that crash myself in a while, so I thought it had disappeared.