First person battles? (like Dragon Quest)

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

John L
Slime

First person battles? (like Dragon Quest)

Post by John L »

Hi everyone, dude looking to have a go at making his own games here!

I was wondering if it was possible to have battles from a first person perspective, like the battles seen in Dragon Quest and Phantasy Star? I read about a game called Tremor made with OHRRPGCE that has these kind of battles, but I imagine it would require a few tricks to implement.

I'm happy with the default battle style that comes with the program, but since I plan to make my own sprites and graphics I want to be sneaky/lazy and avoid having to make hero graphics hahaha
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

It's actually not all that hard, even more so if you don't want to do hero graphics. You just need to draw your enemy graphics so they face forward. Even if you have hero sprites you just need to adjust the hero formations in the battle formations menu.
John L
Slime

Post by John L »

If I didn't have hero graphics would there be am empty space on the right hand side of the battle screen? Or could I move an enemy all the way over there
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Yes, you can move the enemies to the right. You can also move the hero slots to the bottom of the screen, so any projectile attacks the heroes do will come from there.
John L
Slime

Post by John L »

Thanks a ton for the clarification guys! Can't wait to have a go at making something!
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

I’d just like to say that I’d love to see more RPGs with this style of battle system!
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases