CAMPAIGN: Queen Arkwyn's Crown (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Captain Crawford looks up and gives Hyne a thumbs up. "Fire at will, Stormeel"
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

He pulls the arrow on his bow and adjusts his body to slowly pan the arced handle towards his target. A thought comes to his mind.. if he kills the cultist then he would likely fall into the water with arrows lodged into his body which would tarnish the story of a ship performing a funeral pyre, indubitably painting the Yandorin as the culprit of an attack. He hesitates for a moment.. If he can fire arrows just past the cultist it might scare him and the arrows would burn with the rest of the ship.

He yells out, "Firing initial warning shots!" Then makes a move to fire shots near the cultist's feet.

{{1d20 + 2 + 3 + 2 Attack Roll}}
{{1d20 + 2 + 3 + 2 Extra Attack}}
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Judge Slimehold
Master Judge of Battles

Post by Judge Slimehold »

<p><b>Newbie Newtype</b> rolls...</p><ul><li><b>1d20 + 2 + 3 + 2 Attack Roll:</b> 16 + 2 + 3 + 2 &rArr; 23</li><li><b>1d20 + 2 + 3 + 2 Extra Attack:</b> 6 + 2 + 3 + 2 &rArr; 13</li></ul>
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The first arrow thunks into the wood between the cultists feet. He flinches in surprise, but does not seem frightened. He ducks to pull up the arrow while the second one flies over his head without him seeing it. He throws the arrow clumsily at the merfolk in the water. His burning hair is starting to impair his movements.

The other two cultists continue to wrestle with Oxnar

{{1d20 + 2 strength contest Oxnar}}
{{1d20 + 0 strength contest Cultist A}}
{{1d20 + 0 strength contest Cultist B}}
Judge Slimehold
Master Judge of Battles

<p><b>Bob the Hamster</b> rolls...</p><ul><li><b>1d20 + 2 strength contest Oxnar:</b> 13 + 2 &rArr; 15</li><li><b>1d20 + 0 strength contest Cultist A:</b> 2 + 0 &rArr; 2</li><li><b>1d20 + 0 strength contest Cultist B:</b> 1 + 0 &rArr; 1</li></ul>
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

One of the two cultists fighting Oxnar loses his footing, and falls into the heart of the flames, landing against the charred body of the dead king.

Oxnar takes this opportunity to overpower the other cultist, and the both go tumbling over the side of the ship.

The merfolk both dive.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

As the merfolk divers submerge into safety, the ranger in the quirks his brow and relaxes the tension on the string of the bow. The dwarf had easily overcome the scuffle at the bow of the ship and the fire which is spreading on the cultist will consume him eventually. He wants to intervene as little as necessary so he watches closely how the situation plays out.
OOC wrote:Readying an attack on the cultist should he try to run after Oxnar while completely on fire
{{1d20 + 2 + 3 + 2 Readied Longbow attack}}
{{1d8 + 2 Piercing Damage}}
Judge Slimehold
Master Judge of Battles

<p><b>Newbie Newtype</b> rolls...</p><ul><li><b>1d20 + 2 + 3 + 2 Readied Longbow attack:</b> 3 + 2 + 3 + 2 &rArr; 10</li><li><b>1d8 + 2 Piercing Damage:</b> 6 + 2 &rArr; 8</li></ul>
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The cultist who fell over the king's pyre squirms for an instant, and then is still.

The cultist who Hyne had shot the warning arrow at slumps to the deck. He is now fully engulfed in flames as he drags himself towards the water, but as he leans over the rail towards the waves, one of the mefolk suddenly leaps up with a splash and pushes the cultist back onto the deck of the ship. The cultist lays motionless burning on the deck, as the fire continues to spread over the rest of the ship.

In a moment, both merfolk can be seen returning to the Yanorin, keeping Oxnar's head above the water.

Some of the other crewmembers help haul the hefty dwarf up on to the deck using a small fishing net.

Oxnar coughs as he lays in a heap on the deck. The merfolk and the other crewmembers return to their work with the sail and the ropes.

The wind is slowly increasing, as is the rain, so the ship's tacking is becoming more dangerous. The boom swings across the deck with greater force with each zig-zag.

Along with the increase in rain, Hyne sees a flash of lightening and hears the boom of thunder. A bolt of lightening seems to have struck the mast of the King's funeral ship, but it made no visible difference, since the ship was already engulfed in more flames than the rain can quench.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Fortunately the archer's outlook of the event turned out to be correct; if it had come down to firing continued shots, he doesn't think he could have adjusted for the storm that is intensifying. He quickly "wears" the bow around him then descends the catwalk. Once on deck he says to the others, "I was distracted from being able to watch the storm as we passed. It got bad on twist of a coin." He looks over to the dwarf that was just pulled up on deck and asks, "I think I know him. Is there a place inside where I can speak to him alone?"
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Captain Crawford nods to Hyne. "Yes, Stormeel, you can take him into my room until we figure out what to do with him." The captain points to the aft cabin door.

Oxnar is conscious, but he seems in bad shape. He keeps coughing up water and shivering. The end of his beard is singed short.

Days ago on the road, Oxnar had looked strong and confident wearing his Pelorian armor and carrying his gleaming axe. Now, with nothing but soaking wet breeches and undershirt clinging to his shivering skin, he looks smaller and older.

The rest of the crew is focusing on running the storm. They seem happy to leave Hyne alone to attend to the new guest.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Once the two are isolated from the rest of the crew, Hyne pulls away his eye patch then grabs Oxnar's shirt by the straps. He pulls the dwarf up to him to meet him with an incensed gaze. He keeps to a low whisper, but the scowl in his voice apparent. "I bet you're surprised to see me alive and well," he snarls, "I can tell that things haven't been going your way, has it?"

He shoves Oxnar away from him. He turns away for just the briefest of seconds, just enough to inhale the air which fumes within him -- just brief enough to recollect his memory, "What was it you said to me again..? Something about a city run by outlaws?" He steps closer to him, "That it would be a place no one would suspect?"

He looks up and down the wearied, embarrassed Paladin. He shakes his head and tsks, "This new look is befitting. I would have never trusted a Paladin- of Pelor of all the damned gods, to be such a bold faced liar." He swings his arm to point out, "Not only was that city anything but an outlaw den, but the pirates are their damned military contracts. And not only did they know I had come they sent their best woman to stalk me from noon to eve." He lowers his arm and gazes to Oxnar's face, "I hope you have a good excuse feeding me wildly inaccurate intel. I feel like such a fool for trusting what I thought was a good man."

{{1d20 + 3 Insight}}
Judge Slimehold
Master Judge of Battles

<p><b>Newbie Newtype</b> rolls...</p><ul><li><b>1d20 + 3 Insight:</b> 17 + 3 &rArr; 20</li></ul>
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

DM wrote:{{1d20 a roll for a thing}} more coming shortly...
Judge Slimehold
Master Judge of Battles

<p><b>Bob the Hamster</b> rolls...</p><ul><li><b>1d20 a roll for a thing:</b> 4</li></ul>