Preview: HotOHR 2018

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

@robcurrie:
Anything described as "inspired by BotW" sounds like such a terrifyingly huge project, but it sounds like you have a grip on what you doing. I believe in your ability. Especially seeing how already developed your world map is, there's obviously great potential that's been focused in pretty decisively. I look forward to seeing progress with this. I definitely like the idea of having a final boss that you can encounter at any time. In fact, it might help the development process if you design the final battle early on. Then when you come to a point where you need to scale down your game, you can cut out middle content and still have a finished game. Have you played Chrono Trigger? I'm just curious, cause that has the same "the boss is here anytime you wanna go get stomped on by him" concept.

@sheamkennedy:
Literally nothing about this is set in stone, other than the two party-member system, pretty much. I'm in the stage of playing around with mechanics, but beyond that, there's hardly any content. I've begun thinking about narrative arcs and characters, etc., but nothing's jumping out at me as interesting.

That being said, I can answer your inquiries with tentative decisions. The main support character (MC) is targetable technically, but most enemies' attacks default to attacking the "closest" target, and the MC is placed behind the partner character. My plan was to have certain enemies have specific attacks which target the MC, and these are mostly to keep battles on edge: the MC has to support their partner, but also keep themselves alive. As for personality, I'm not entirely sure. I think I want the MC to be a Bard-like character to emphasize their support role. They have a number of stat buffs and debuffs right now. I'm not sure what else I'll give them.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Kylekrack: Bale has a similar concept to your game, where it is just the main character plus a support character (Lint). Obviously there are differences, and the roles are somewhat reversed, but as soon as I read your post I could see the similarities.

Perhaps sometime we can have a discussion about this style of gameplay? Limiting a game to only 2 party members comes with it's own set of challenges, especially in terms of keeping the combat and progression interesting.
vvight.wordpress.com
robcurrie
Slime

Post by robcurrie »

@sheamkennedy
I hadn't considered wrapping the map before, but I'll certainly give it a try and see how it works, thank you! I do like the idea of a fast-travel system too, though the map actually doesn't take all that long to walk across in the game - a minute or two at most.

@kylekrack
Ha, yeah, definitely not inspired by the scale of BOTW! You're very much on the nose with how I wanted to approach it: get the core done and then fill in the world around it for as long as I have ideas and time to fill it with. I have played Chrono Trigger and I hadn't thought of it as an influence until now, but I definitely see the through-line there!
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

Wow! That's really a lot of helpful hints to be fiound here. :D
I really like minion/the spread damage idea!

For my game project I have the story planned out, but I'm in the middle of reworking the map. Also, my game projects suffers from me having ideas for more and more features to add. This is not helpful to finish the project, so I'll have to try to stop myself from doing so.
I might show more screenshots when I'm remapping the river area.

Are you frist planning the map or the plot?

@Ichiro: I'm looking forward for a new version of Dark Planet! :)
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Working title: Rangen; The Endless

Fully randomized RPG, right down to the heroes, villains, and local lore. Will include caves, dungeons, and towers. Currently the overworld features are all laid out in basic form, working now on village generation and decoration.

The story as of now? You, the protagonist, are visited by Rangen, the god of Fate, and marked with purpose. You awaken to find that you are not the only hero marked by Rangen, but three others in your world are marked. This mark allows the heroes to ward off the evil magic used by the four lords of darkness, who have menaced Rangen for quite some time. Given purpose, the goal is to unite the heroes and defeat the lords of darkness by any means necessary. But it isn't so simple as that...
Attachments
Rangen7.PNG
Rangen7.PNG (32.23 KiB) Viewed 6396 times
Last edited by Master K on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

@ Master K:
I like the icons on the map, although they are to to small to see them well. Are they castles or towns?
The random, generation idea sounds like a lot of work and a lot of planning and plot scripting.
Who will be the heros? Will their personalities be randomized as well?

I made a map of the island. It will be easier to map the missing maps, now that i've drawn an overview map of the island.
I wish I'd have payed more attention in geography lessons. What do you think? Does it look okay?

Edit:
Offtopic Question:
Can I put a image's url I uploaded to slimesalad into a post? So it gets shown automatically? :???:
Attachments
Overview of Island
Overview of Island
map.png (867.61 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
Last edited by marionline on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Just a friendly reminder that the Heart of the OHR window is opening in about two weeks. If any of you would like to contribute to the prize pool this year, please let me know what you'd like to contribute, which of the top performers you'd like to reward, and about when you'd like to deliver on your prizes.

Points to Remember:
  1. * Contest will end mid-December; voting will end late January 2019.
    * Prizes should be reasonable and something you can deliver on (i.e. posters, fan-fiction, custom music, in-depth reviews or YouTube play-throughs, small cash prizes, digital downloads, pizza deliveries, etc.).
    * Large prizes can be awarded to first, second, or third place winners (traditionally first place only, but you figure it out); small incentive prizes can be given to all entrants who make the window.
    * You are under no obligation to deliver your prize (and winners are under no obligation to receive a prize), but failure to deliver looks bad, so volunteer only if you believe you can follow through and intend to do so.
    * If you volunteer a prize, and then disappear from the community for an extended length of time sometime before the contest ends, try to return in January 2019 to make good on your offer.
    * Be realistic.
If you have an idea for a prize and can most likely follow these terms, then please let me know in this thread or through PM what you would like to volunteer. It would also help to give me an idea on when you plan to deliver the prize (i.e. immediately after the winner is announced, a month after the winner is announced, on Election Day 2020, etc.), so that if you cannot deliver in February, but can deliver in March, for example, then the winner(s) can expect to wait a little while for it.

Please let me know what you would like to contribute by April 30th, so I can include them in the official announcement thread. Make sure you also include your conditions if any apply (like entries must be announced by July 31st to receive the entry prize, for example). You can still add to the prize pool after April 30th, but I want something to work with on Day 1, so the more of you who can offer ahead of time, the better.

Thanks in advance to all of you who wish to contribute this year. And thanks to all of you who plan to enter the contest. Remember, the window opens on May 1st. The official announcement and updated rules will be posted then, so stay tuned.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I'd like to volunteer to make a video review/playthrough of every completed game. I say "completed" to mean anything with enough content to make a video about. This is partly to make my life easier, but in addition to that, I don't see much value in providing commentary on something that barely exists. I want to celebrate devs and projects that overcome the difficulty of starting a game. So I guess I'll determine on a per-game basis whether it's "completed." I can't guarantee the video will be good, but I will spend time editing and arranging it to maintain a level of quality that does your game justice.

I'm still gonna try to make a submission of my own. Focusing really hard on scoping something I can actually finish. That little tech demo-ish game "The Flow" I uploaded a while ago might become the basis for something more interesting and RPG-like. If not that, the project I discussed earlier in this thread is still on the table. The only plans for it now are a basic battle system structure and a rough sketch for a world map.

For that project, I might ask for some collaboration, especially on the battle side of things. I've not explored the battle-system in the OHR very thoroughly, and there are people here who've made some really interesting and engaging stuff. Snowshoe Forest really caught my attention. I kind of want to bother Foxley to do some work together. If anyone else is interested in designing battles for a 2-member party system where one member targets enemies automatically, hit me up. It'd be mostly making attack and enemy definitions and sketching out battle themes if necessary (eg. Boss design or puzzle-like battles).
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

I'm entering!

Post by Mammothstuds »

Sign me the hell up!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Looks like Kaiju will fall into the release window so I'm in this time.
Gaplan
Red Slime

Post by Gaplan »

I love competitions, so i'm in with my Dream Walkers rpg :kamina: . Also, i had a plan about making some kind of tactiacal rpg (like Fire Emblem\FF tactics) is this counts?
sorry for bad english :v:
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I'm not too familiar with how Fire Emblem or FF Tactics work. I'd defer your question to those who've played either and know this contest. Probably?
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Gaplan
Red Slime

Post by Gaplan »

It's simply a turn based rpgs, where you gaining expirience and giving gear to your party just like in regular jrpgs, but more strategic looking. Here's one screenshot of Fire Emblem. OHR had a few games of this kind, but they were too raw.
Attachments
fire-emblem-the-sacred-stones-20050524060826192.jpg
fire-emblem-the-sacred-stones-20050524060826192.jpg (38.24 KiB) Viewed 6165 times
Last edited by Gaplan on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sorry for bad english :v:
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I feel like Fire Emblem style tactical RPGs are still solidly RPGs.

(And I would be delighted to see more OHR games in that style!)
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Slight change of plans for Axe Cop since we changed when we're doing the Kickstarter for it, so the public demo won't be available til January. I think that means we miss the cut off, but it means we can make it for the next Heart of the OHR.