Complicated Gallery (or Pur: Ignis)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Complicated Gallery (or Pur: Ignis)

Post by MorpheusKitami »

While at first Pur: Ignis might seem like a timely released Halloween game, but is actually an experiment. Remember all those episodic games that were briefly popular for adventure games back in the '00s? Complicated Gallery is like that, except instead of being a series with a coherent plot, it's Malleus Maleficarum meets Night Gallery. Which is to say, it only has overarching themes and characters, plots don't have anything to do with each other.
I plan on releasing six episodes, each themed around a classical element. Pur's being fire, and I hope it's interesting enough for people to stick around for the others.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Looks super cool and funny. A few errors:
You can use "order" from the menu and it messes the hero graphic.
Both paintings seem to load the same game, the gallery, not Laura.
I think you want to change $0 to "Laura.rpg" in the script "Laura".

edit
The intro for "branding" has a typo for the name code. Few other typos scattered around as well. Heightens the crazy/insane if anything.

Exiting the gallery after a painting seems to lack a fade-in. The screen remains black? not sure if this is an error on my end or what. It happened after "branding" I think.

Why does it ask for a name and gender each time you enter the gallery?
It would be nice if after a painting it returned you to the gallery so you could see all the endings.

My thoughts so far:
I LOVE IT.
ART.
It's messed up, but deep. It touches something within me.

Final thoughts. Great stuff. I would love to see more. But some things are too obscure to see all the endings without looking in the editor (sorry. wanted to see it all)
For example, with Laura, seeing the item disappear or adding a line to describe that you now have the item helps the player understand that you need it, and its not just flavour.
Another example, being able to walk away from some scenes.
Pretty cool ideas though. I dig the art.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Virtuous Sword wrote:Looks super cool and funny. A few errors:
You can use "order" from the menu and it messes the hero graphic.
Both paintings seem to load the same game, the gallery, not Laura.
I think you want to change $0 to "Laura.rpg" in the script "Laura".

edit
The intro for "branding" has a typo for the name code. Few other typos scattered around as well. Heightens the crazy/insane if anything.
Ugh, I can't believe I missed the painting part. Fixed that.
Exiting the gallery after a painting seems to lack a fade-in. The screen remains black? not sure if this is an error on my end or what. It happened after "branding" I think.
Wait what? That painting shouldn't be fading you out unless you lose.
Why does it ask for a name and gender each time you enter the gallery?
It would be nice if after a painting it returned you to the gallery so you could see all the endings.

My thoughts so far:
I LOVE IT.
ART.
It's messed up, but deep. It touches something within me.

Final thoughts. Great stuff. I would love to see more. But some things are too obscure to see all the endings without looking in the editor (sorry. wanted to see it all)
I don't think you understand what the point of the main gallery was. That's probably just because I was too obtuse. See, the main gallery is supposed to represent hell. Hence, the difficulty.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Experiment, alright! It's... kind of deranged.
I noticed the same thing. The "murderer of the worst kind" painting loads a new .rpg, which appears to have a black title screen which you need to press a button to skip.
There were one or two other places where you need to awkwardly press a button to advance.

I was confused by the conversation with Adam, the devil and (I assume) God. You used the same text colour for both Adam and the devil? Well, it wouldn't have made sense anyway. So that thing wasn't a horse?

Sometimes, some of it made sense. Such as when you spot the whatisit on the moon as you fall over. It was really surprising when something did, as generally it did not.

There ar at least two endings numbered 81. A lot of endings aren't numbered. I'm thinking that the claim to 82 endings was not a serious one, although there are an awful lot of endings. And I feel like I'm being punished for dying by having to skip through all those textboxes again every time.

The Burning London painting doesn't seem to have a solution. Were they all meant to have solutions? Was the idea to solve all paintings and then pass through the door?

Also there's no walls in the room with the two paintings and the TV.

Oh, also the "Painting Selection" menu option doesn't do anything until you close the menu. Needto set that menu item to close the menu.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

TMC wrote:I was confused by the conversation with Adam, the devil and (I assume) God. You used the same text colour for both Adam and the devil? Well, it wouldn't have made sense anyway. So that thing wasn't a horse?
They're different shades. Barely. Still, I changed it, since it wasn't the same as his later color.
That's actually a reference to a version of Lucifier's fall. In it, God asks the angels the names of the animals, and when they fail, he brings in Adam, whom he told the names of the animals. Lots of references like that, if you haven't noticed.
The thing Adam got was a horse though, it's just that "God" isn't playing fair with you.
There ar at least two endings numbered 81. A lot of endings aren't numbered. I'm thinking that the claim to 82 endings was not a serious one, although there are an awful lot of endings.
I can't believe I missed that. Still, you should be able to figure out which ones you missed by the number of farmers, since I think 11 and 12 were all right. Later parts of the game should be good though.
And I feel like I'm being punished for dying by having to skip through all those textboxes again every time.
Admittedly, I should have changed that from the first edition, but I figured someone would've saved after the second or so attempt.
The Burning London painting doesn't seem to have a solution. Were they all meant to have solutions? Was the idea to solve all paintings and then pass through the door?
Correct on both questions. They all have solutions. Sometimes you just have to think on it. It's not like the fire is going anywhere.
Also there's no walls in the room with the two paintings and the TV.
Uh...it's a um...metaphor for how the game screws with your rules and perceptions of reality. That's it, I didn't forget to add walls at all. Just like how that TV is just a part of the background, nothing important there.[/spoiler]
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

MorpheusKitami wrote:The thing Adam got was a horse though, it's just that "God" isn't playing fair with you.
I see a horse. Maybe God was actually pointing to the yellow circle? I don't know, there's no indication.
Admittedly, I should have changed that from the first edition, but I figured someone would've saved after the second or so attempt.
Huh? You can't save.
I just held down shift+tab to fast forward through all those textboxes.
Correct on both questions. They all have solutions. Sometimes you just have to think on it. It's not like the fire is going anywhere.
OK, that's a really unobvious solution. I didn't notice the slightest hint for it.
I did it!
Wow... there's a second gallery when you complete the first. And when you die you have to repeat the whole first gallery to get back to where you were?
Thanks but no thanks, your game really is Hell.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

TMC wrote:I see a horse. Maybe God was actually pointing to the yellow circle? I don't know, there's no indication.
It was the portrait that showed up. Yellow circle's supposed to be God.
Huh? You can't save.
What do you mean you can't save, of course you...can...oh, no...
OK, that's a really unobvious solution. I didn't notice the slightest hint for it.
I did it!
Wow... there's a second gallery when you complete the first. And when you die you have to repeat the whole first gallery to get back to where you were?
Thanks but no thanks, your game really is Hell.
I realize it's hard to tell when it's this difficult but I have no intention of making you start the game over from the start. Can't believe I missed that.
Anyway, the game's had just about everything mentioned here fixed, I updated it if anyone cares to give it another shot.
roboman
Red Slime

Post by roboman »

Let's continue here... In the latest release of Pur: Ignis (Inanna) brother Dark kills us instantly, and in his gallery, the painting named "The First Death" also kills us instantly.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

roboman wrote:Let's continue here... In the latest release of Pur: Ignis (Inanna) brother Dark kills us instantly, and in his gallery, the painting named "The First Death" also kills us instantly.
I could've swore I fixed that already. Weird.