Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

Deck of Many Dungeons

Post by Mogri »

I made a game.

card details have changed since I uploaded that image

Deck of Many Dungeons is a 54-card dungeon-crawling adventure for 1 to 2 players. Players form a party, enter the dungeon, defeat monsters, level up, learn new skills, and take on mighty bosses -- all in just a handful of cards.

You can play the game either by printing your own copy or importing the deck files into Tabletop Simulator. The rules and other files can be found here.

I'm very eager for feedback, so if you do end up giving the game a try, please let me know. Anyone who so much as tries to play the game will earn a spot in the credits -- please let me know how you'd like to be credited.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Oh boy! I have a final exam on Friday, but after that I'm totally free. I really look forward to checking this out with a friend! I might print it out and try it solo in the meantime.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, interesting... I haven't read through the rules though, as the 17 page rulebook dissuades a casual browsing.
Tabletop Simulator? Oh, it's a commercial program. And fairly expensive. Is there any way to play this card game online without spending money? If so, I might try it. I had assumed there would be a range of systems for playing arbitrary card or PnP games online.

Do you now have art for all the cards?
Last edited by TMC on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

TMC wrote:Oh, interesting... I haven't read through the rules though, as the 17 page rulebook dissuades a casual browsing.
It's not as bad as the page count makes it out to be: the first page is TOC, and the main body of the rules runs to page 9. After that, it's FAQ, credits, and appendix.

And, really, if you want to get a feel for the general flow of the game, you need look no further than the Overview.
TMC wrote:Tabletop Simulator? Oh, it's a commercial program. And fairly expensive. Is there any way to play this card game online without spending money? If so, I might try it. I had assumed there would be a range of systems for playing arbitrary card or PnP games online.
VASSAL is a system that exists, but I don't have any experience with it. Since it's got a good following on BGG, I'll probably do the research before the contest period ends.

A more labor-intensive version of playing it online would be to generate a virtual deck and map it to the game's cards, tracking your gamestate on your own... but I'd recommend just printing the game if you're going to go through that much trouble.
TMC wrote:Do you now have art for all the cards?
No, not even close. I have one finished (two if the Paladin is finished -- he's colored but not signed) and about ten pencils.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Mogri wrote:
TMC wrote:Do you now have art for all the cards?
No, not even close. I have one finished (two if the Paladin is finished -- he's colored but not signed) and about ten pencils.
Did you draw those Kobolds? Because they look great!
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

My brother is the illustrator; I did the rest of the art aside from the iconography, which is CC-BY.

At this point, he's done sketches for about half of the cards (my favorite is the Bard), but the kobolds are the only complete illustration so far.