Individual Circle Collab Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

So where are we all at currently?
I notice that the OP is not being updated, nor any info being posted in thread.
It would be nice for new people and contestants to have this knowledge available somewhere. *hint hint*

I'm currently working on GRAVE's combat system, and I would like it if the plot and gameplay were segregated a bit, reason being; I need them dang hero graphics and stuff (unless I should leave it unused. Seems a waste though)
I have already suggested that this game become a bit of a dungeon crawler/detective mystery thing-y and I am willing to provide some scripting for this.

As for SHOEDOWN (I'm calling it that, for now), I think I'm done with the "draft of the plot" but I think I misunderstood what was being asked in that stage. I will try to write the dialgoues and expand the scenes a bit where needed.
I probably overstepped my stage request here, but as above, I am willing to provide some simple scripts to expand the gameplay elements.

I'm also thinking about my submission, DARKDREAM, and I have a few ideas about making it less combat-focused and more device-driven. I want to use multiple choice menus more strongly. I think branching storylines will be more important than combat, and plus, this will free me up to work on the combat systems of the other games with much more dedication.

Let's work together to make sure new things are integrated into already existing content, AND future, planned content. There's no use creating each stage separately if they all clash horribly, or worse, don't work together at all, with little-or-no regard for each other.

I know this is breaking the rules somewhat, but please consider collaborating on some stages to make sure it turns out alright, or the way you want/the author intended!
Let us please discuss the nature and fate of each game somewhere. It might be nice to have a hidden thread(s) to avoid spoilers for forum-browsers who might play the games later.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I'm doing fine, despite the computer problems, and problems with installing the new version natively. Works flawlessly in Wine though, I have to give it that. Work on Project Shoe is going swimmingly, and I have an odd amount of knowledge on the items that are supposed to be in the game.

However, there's one thing I should point out, my current stage is for map and item creation, while the circle will give me my game on stage 4...mapping. So, I figure the stages might perhaps be changed around a bit. Maybe, say, moving up additional graphics.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I'm way behind schedule/stage list, and I think I will need another week working on the stage for Virtuous Sword's game.
(I've been quite busy, and I can't say if it I will be less busy soon. Also, I don't want to slow down the contest...)

What has been done so far? The discussion with Virtuous Sword on the Grave game's plot was very helpful.
And progress? In regard to progress, I'll write more about progress if I make any.

@MorpheusKitami: Swapping the the stages seems a good idea.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

So far I've done all but two of the maps and a good chunk of the items. Kinda glad you're adding another week to this stage, since I made less progress than I expected.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I feel bad that I didn't manage to complete the tilesets, walkabouts and dialogue for Marionline's game. It was quite a lot to attempt for 1 stage.

If you need additional graphics, send me a list of what you'd like, or ideas for it. I will try to get back to you within a day or 2.
I already mentioned that some locations might be done up as splash screens. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out the thread for Axe Cop.
Similarly, the dramatic nature of the game lends itself to full character portraits and that kind of thing, hopefully.

I'm currently working on Grave's combat. So far, it's okay.
I want to make it more interesting but I'm not sure how.
I really hope to script some dungeon-like elements to bolster the gameplay. But it's not in my stage description.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I just send the game to Virtuous Sword.
I couldn't add as many things as I wanted, the last weeks were quite busy. Still, it's time to start the next stage, I guess.
Next time when I get Virtuous Sword , I should be able to add more things and come up with more ideas.

I feel bad that I didn't manage to complete the tilesets, walkabouts and dialogue for Marionline's game. It was quite a lot to attempt for 1 stage.
The tilesets I saw were really good, so don't feel bad! I'm sorry, the stage was so large!

This might be a bit off topic ... For interesting battles, I like transmogrifications, enemies changing form depending on being hit or counter attacks.
Also using various enemy types with distinct weaknesses/strengths makes battles interesting. For example in FinalFantasy X, where flying things were weak against a ball thrown at them, while dinosaurs were weak to sword attacks.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

marionline wrote:I just send the game to Virtuous Sword.
I couldn't add as many things as I wanted, the last weeks were quite busy. Still, it's time to start the next stage, I guess.
Next time when I get Virtuous Sword , I should be able to add more things and come up with more ideas.

The tilesets I saw were really good, so don't feel bad! I'm sorry, the stage was so large!

This might be a bit off topic ... For interesting battles, I like transmogrifications, enemies changing form depending on being hit or counter attacks.
Also using various enemy types with distinct weaknesses/strengths makes battles interesting. For example in FinalFantasy X, where flying things were weak against a ball thrown at them, while dinosaurs were weak to sword attacks.

Thanks. However, I think I missed 1 or 10 important tiles/walkabouts. Hopefully I will get around to it if sometime soon. Hopefully before the end of the contest (whenever that may be).

For my game, I know I didn't give a good stage description, So just do whatever you feel, and give it your own unique perspective.
I plan to make the game dialogue based, so character ideas and dialogue are needed most, as well as ideas for scenes/situations.

Suggestions for mini-games and gameplay mechancis, I will try my best to fulfil (for ALL the collab games). I have ideas for each of the contest games which I am happy to discuss.

I think transmog is great. I will definitely use it a lot if it falls in my stage.
I would like to see/create ALL animated enemies for ALL the games, if there is time.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I'm really sorry I have to ask this, but could this stage get another week? I came down with the flu yesterday and didn't do as much as I hoped.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I'm really happy to extend the stage by a week.
I also could not work as much on the game as I wanted.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Yep. Between this, 1-2 other contests, and my job, I did not get to finish this stage.
So where are we at now? Is it okay if I keep working on the combat for GRAVE? I still need to add, like, 50 attacks, and balance stats.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I think we're currently at stage 5. Or when you asked that, it was stage 4. I could be wrong though.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

MorpheusKitami wrote:I think we're currently at stage 5. Or when you asked that, it was stage 4. I could be wrong though.
:o that right so? okay so i'm lost :( i think :???
I am still waiting for marionline to send me the next stage in that case. (Please send it when you get a chance!)
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

it appears my PMs are not working in my inbox properly (I get an error message) so I think I am running a bit behind. Sorry guys. Let's work together to create the best games possible anyway, right?
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I'd like to know if we're ever going to finish this contest or if things are definitely dead.