OHRRPGCE stable release (Etheldreme)

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

OHRRPGCE stable release (Etheldreme)

Post by Bob the Hamster »

We have another stable release! Download it here:

https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Downloads

Highlights include:

* Many new map-editor features, including mouse support.
* Enemy "appear" animations.
* Customizable hero experience curve.
* Textbox save/load/delete/end game conditionals.
* Unhid still-experimental option for non-320x200 games.
* Copy-paste text between the editor and other applications.
* Visual browsers for sprites and many other things.

http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/whatsnew.txt

Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I literally just finished downloading and installing the last stable release in the past week after a month of using that old unstable nightly I made No Eat on. Looks like it's time to learn even more new features!
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Great job guys.
Copy-paste text between the editor and other applications.
You have no idea how helpful this is.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

I'll have to check the stable release to see if it's still the same way or if it's been fixed since the version I've been using, but one oddity I did notice in one of the nightlies I tried out was that copying and pasting within the engine now turns special characters from the font into question marks.

I figure most people wouldn't run into this as often, but since I like the spacing of 's/'t/etc. better when the apostrophe isn't its own character, my games all have combined apostrophe+letters as some of the extra font characters... and those all become "?" when text is copied to another textbox now. I'm assuming that's an (unintended?) side-effect of the ability to copy and paste from outside Custom.

I also noticed that copying text from another textbox in Custom seems to add a single space to the end of lines -- was wondering why that would be. Maybe a compatibility-with-copy-and-pasting-from-other-programs thing too?
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

The ability to copy from the clipboard is my favorite feature in a long time, and I like a lot of the new features these days. The tile skew is also cool, but the tinting is even better. I'll probably use that often. Using the mouse in the editor is a beautiful thing, even if the editor itself still looks difficult to navigate (I'm used to it, so it's fine for me, but newbies might find it unwieldy to combine it with the mouse).

You guys are doing great work here. The last three updates have been pretty awesome, and have leapt the engine forward considerably. I've also noticed some cool features in the hero creation section where everything related to the hero shows up in a single place, but I have a feeling that's been around for a while, and I just don't create new heroes often enough to notice. I hope one day we can make heroes' and enemies' names longer than 16 characters. I'm sure the limitation has to do with the battle screen size, but hopefully that'll be allowed when battle screens can be better customized. I'd also like the ability to create custom level limits beyond level 99, but that's another story for another day. The experience change is a nice touch. I think default values should be written in the help menu for each section in case somebody messes with a default and doesn't like the result of the new choice. Either that, or a button press should restore the default for the selected item or SHIFT+whatever resets the whole page to the default values. Maybe for F. When I messed with the experience slider a bit, I realized I'd forgotten the original value and didn't know how to set it back to normal. Resetting to default settings and values on all menus should be a thing.

Looking forward to messing around with more of the new features soon.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:I'll have to check the stable release to see if it's still the same way or if it's been fixed since the version I've been using, but one oddity I did notice in one of the nightlies I tried out was that copying and pasting within the engine now turns special characters from the font into question marks.
No, it's not fixed, because I didn't know about it!
I can't reproduce the spaces appearing at the ends of lines. It's probably a problem that only occurs on Windows, due to the line-ending character being different on Windows.
And although I thought that I was careful to preserve special characters when copy-pasting, when I try it under Linux, copy-pasting actually pastes "[CORRUPTED]" back! Oh dear...

Incidentally, the last minute work I did on searching help pages means we can now highlight a range of text, which means that I could now work on selecting and copy-pasting parts of a text buffer instead of the whole thing.
I've also noticed some cool features in the hero creation section where everything related to the hero shows up in a single place, but I have a feeling that's been around for a while
I guess you're probably referring to the list of equipment for each hero. Yes, it's been there a while (but three releases ago is nearly 5 years, so maybe it's recent in that sense...)
Yes, I'm sure we'll make a lot more improvements to the XP formula options. Since it's an exponential formula, any possible multiplier value (other than 0) still gives you an exponential formula, which is still a problem. We should have put the default value in the help page.

Oh, this reminds me: we're now on a three-monthly release schedule, to ensure that we never again hold up a release for a year or more. This release was only delayed by a week, practically a record in living memory :) Stay tuned for Fufluns within three months!
Last edited by TMC on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
roboman
Red Slime

Post by roboman »

*dance*

I'm very happy to release this version. In the other hand, i have an AVG antivirus on Windows, which doesn't seem to work with the stable version. So I use the release candidate of Eteldreme (the dec 1 wip version), which surprisingly works.
Last edited by roboman on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Argh, virus scanners; the bane of software developers! Can you give more information? Did you download both versions as a full zip file, a minimal zip file, or as an installer .exe? If you use the installer, does the installer run? Does AVG prevent both custom.exe and game.exe from running? What is the exact message it gives, what does it identify the file as? We need to know these things to submit a false positive report.
Is there no way to get AVG to unblock the file and directly report it as false positive, using the program instead of the website?
Last edited by TMC on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I love playing the ancient Wandering Hamster demo. So just how backwards-compatible are we with the stuff somewhere in the middle?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm having a ton of fun with the Appear Animation options!
Attachments
HellMonkeySkeletonRise.gif
HellMonkeySkeletonRise.gif (245.2 KiB) Viewed 12456 times
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

* Enemy "appear" animations.
a wild easy* Jade update appears!

*sometime in 2018, maybe
Last edited by FyreWulff on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Nathan Karr wrote:I love playing the ancient Wandering Hamster demo. So just how backwards-compatible are we with the stuff somewhere in the middle?
That old demo was easy to support because it uses so few engine features. I haven't done any testing recently, but would like to hear about any old games that no longer work. I think games from 1999-2004 that make use of plotscripting are the most likely to be broken. E.g. I know that you used to be able to pan the camera off the map until ~2005, and that broke some of JSH's old games. Been meaning to fix that forever.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Magnus specifically gives me a message that the master palette is missing (to be fair, it didn't work in 2003 when I joined the community, either).
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Then it seems that that .rpg file really is corrupted. But I guess older versions used the default master palette if it was missing. I can do that.
jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Post by jcenterprises »

As of this morning, Malwarebytes is still marking older versions of GAME and CUSTOM as malware, and this even includes the GAME.exe from the Steam version of C. Kane.