OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, I'm resuming work on animations soon.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

this is kind of a weird request, but for the fonts, just one extra shade could add countless details. It would allow letters to have more unique design, and be created with regard for contrast, blending, detail etc.,
There are a lot of subtle details that 1 pixel can represent.
Maybe you could do something like overlaying fonts? dunno
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I still haven't entirely decided how to let you draw fonts in multiple colours, while also allowing the text colour to vary. Probably something like make fonts paletted, with part of the palette fixed and part being the text colour plus a small ramp of lighter and darker shades automatically found in the master palette.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

This might be something that would need to wait for a battle system overhaul, but what are your thoughts on being able to show an enemy health bar in battle? Either under their sprite, behind their name, somewhere else. Maybe only displayed while they're targeted, or while they take HP damage. Just something to make battles a little easier to figure out, to know if you're really doing meaningful damage or not.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

That would be nice. This seems reasonable to add, just a question of where to put it on the TODO list.

I've been working on a whole lot of slice-related stuff recently, and am keen to convert battles to slices. I was just thinking about how we could allow customisation of the ready and HP bars, not just changing their size, position and color, but also to allow making them vertical or icon-based or more. Could do enemy HP bars at the same time.
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

We already discussed these possible features in other threads but I just figured I'd repost them here for reference:

1) It would be great if slices wrapped on maps with wrap enabled.

2) It would also be awesome to have a way to script the ready-meter prior to battle so that the party could be granted "attack first" or so the party could be "ambushed/attack last" when a battle occurs. This would also allow for interesting scripting like making an equip that allows you to always attack first, etc...
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

Another feature just came to mind. I noticed in the editor when you edit NPCs you must have "Run Script" set to something before you set the arg value. For what I'm currently working on I am pulling the arg value from the editor without requiring any "Run Script." Because of this I had to create a null Run Script just so I could set the arg value. This isn't really a big issue and only took me a few seconds to create but I don't think it would hurt to allow script arg value to be defined without a run script being present as others may intend to use arg for something other than a run script.
Last edited by sheamkennedy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'm considering instead letting you edit npc extra data in the npc definition, rather than double-purpose the script argument. (Menu item extra data is a mess due to double-purposing.)
But npc extra data is per-instance, not per definition, so it would actually be the default extra data, for new instances. I guess that makes sense, if you think of instances inheriting from a class or prototype. Or maybe it makes more sense to have separate extra data fields for npc definitions and for instances?
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

TMC wrote:Or maybe it makes more sense to have separate extra data fields for npc definitions and for instances?
Having this separate would allow for a lot of complex control. Likely not something I'd personally utilize too much but I'm sure others would appreciate if you did it this way.
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

I think there should be a way to add separators/headers or non-selectable items in the menus. And I don't mean "non-selectable" as in you can hover over the text but not select that item. I mean items that will not be registered as menu items and clicking up/down will allow these items to be skipped over. See photo for example... I made a menu which has a separator line represented by tildes. Currently you can hover over this item even though it's mean't to do nothing. There should be a way to make it so you can't hover over this item on the menu.

Maybe there's a way to do this already but if there is I'm not aware.
Attachments
Example
Example
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 5.53.03 PM.png (15.38 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

There isn't. That feature has been painfully absent forever.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Not sure if this has been asked for already, but could we have an option to set the speed of Walk In Place NPCs? Whether it's NPC by NPC or for the whole game. They're a little too fast for me as is.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

how about a configuration for panel slices which is not horizontal or vertical?

What do you think of a new panel slice that arranges multiple children?

Instead of "primary" and "secondary" child, you could refer to the 'n'th child.

It would be cool to have a "jigsaw" setting which tries to arrange all of its child slices as efficiently as possible within the parent slice dimensions.

Or a panel slice that arranges its children around it in various ways.

Normally you could set a slice position around another slice with align/anchor etc.,

but using a panel slice would arrange them automatically, and you could re-order the children to change their arrangement.

An example: 4 rectangular slices connected at a central point by their corner.

For a "jigsaw" setting, it would be cool to consider slice shapes other than rectangles, perhaps by considering connected slices as one unit
Last edited by SwordPlay on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The Wobbler wrote:Not sure if this has been asked for already, but could we have an option to set the speed of Walk In Place NPCs?
Yes, you have, and so have other people. Maybe someone should just add a global setting.
(A global setting is not a backcompat problem... however it will hopefully be obsolete within weeks)
Virtuous Sword wrote:It would be cool to have a "jigsaw" setting which tries to arrange all of its child slices as efficiently as possible within the parent slice dimensions.
I already implemented something like this. It's called a layout slice, but it's not been made available yet, to give me the chance to make changes to behaviour.
It lays out slices end-to-end, and wraps around lines. I was thinking of adding a different layout mode more like your 'jigsaw' suggestion, which tries to pack them closely together. But there are many different ways to do that, and I'm not sure which way would sort of preserve the order in which children appear
Attachments
audio20001.gif
audio20001.gif (445.42 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Am I right in thinking padding is the same for all children (?)
This is just an idea, but how about giving child slices padding proportional to their size?
Somehow, the size (for e.g. fitting it into an area) needs to be factored into the way it is arranged and how it is treated compared to smaller or larger slices. (I think. I don't know)

Something like weighting the appearance of large/small slices first/last might be nice (like choosing whether large or small slices should be considered first)

I would like to see a radial/spiral setting, or a setting that tries to fill the edges first, or one that tries to spread out its children so they have the maximum area (proportional to their size) or something like that.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."