Finishing Successor's Legacy?

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Finishing Successor's Legacy?

Post by Mammothstuds »

I've probably gained a bad reputation here for starting projects I never finish. The most recent one, iirc, would be Mirrored Soul - which I'm actually still working on, albeit in a more advanced engine than OHRRPGCE. So, I'll preface this with saying I can guarantee nothing. I can make no promises.

That said, I still have very fond memories of working on Successor's Legacy, and I have to admit, occasionally I still come here and put the game's name in the search bar just to see if people are still talking about it. I was surprised to find that Kylekrack actually suggested the game to be bundled with OHRRPGCE as an essential! Wow.

The least I can say is, I'm touched. I think the thing preventing me from finishing Successor's Legacy all this time was the desire for it to be perfect. However, now I'm coming to realize the game can be an unbalanced mess and still be finished. They're called "passion projects" for a reason, yuk yuk yuk.

What do you guys think? If on the off-chance I finished the game, perhaps tweaked the graphics to match my current skillset, and balanced it out a teensy bit, would you be interested in playing it?
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Yes. Successor's Legacy got third place in Heart of the OHR 2016 if I recall, and that's pretty darn awesome when you consider that we had a good turnout that year. It's also one of the few games that offered a pure classic OHR experience, and we're sorely lacking those these days. I think it should be finished. It didn't seem as though you had much more to do to finish it anyway, unless you had another major landmass hiding somewhere that we never got a hint of. Even still, it should be finished.

Regarding perfection: don't bother with that. I have short stories I wrote in 1999 that I'm still revising. It's madness. We should strive for our best, but we can't do perfect. We can only come close. Come close, then move on. Finish, tweak, get feedback, improve, tweak, advertise, move on. Formula for building a successful bibliography. Adopt it.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

It might not be a surprise that my answer is yes. I would definitely be interested in playing a finished Successor's Legacy!
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I think SL is a pretty cool game. I liked the artwork and music. The design is pretty good too. I didn't get far in it though.
If you released an updated version, I would definitely be interested.