Dwimmercrafty bug when choosing Distribute Game

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Dwimmercrafty bug when choosing Distribute Game

Post by Foxley »

From the main menu, when I choose Distribute Game with Enter or Space (i.e. not a mouse click), it will get stuck in a constant loop of cmd.exe windows opening up and closing rapidly. It only stops when I click on the desktop or a window for a different program, at which point it stops having a seizure and it will be on the Distribute Game menu.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, this happens whether I have Aero enabled or not. Only happens with SDL backend; I tried DirectX and FB and nothing too weird happened, just a brief flicker of several command windows opening and closing at the upper left of the Custom window. Did a rapid flickering of command windows used to happen with older versions?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Try running with the sdl backend and the -no-native-kbd command line option, and see if it still happens
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Still happening, unfortunately. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but very often.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Recorded a quick, crappy looking capture with OBS.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqpyahk97c0yh ... 0.flv?dl=0

The first half is me using Enter and Space. After the second 'seizure' I switch to using the mouse and Esc several times, with no issues.
Last edited by Foxley on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

There are two problems here: firstly there's an SDL bug where the keys can get stuck when a cmd.exe window pops up (and SDL has the same problem on other OSes too), and secondly, the engine is running a terminal command in a cmd.exe window when it should be doing it invisibly.
Thanks for the video, exactly what I needed to figure out which command it's running incorrectly. Now I realise that there are a large number of commands run in their own terminal window on Windows which shouldn't be. It doesn't do that on Linux/OSX.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, I fixed the windows popping up; can't do much about the SDL problem (Wait for nightlies to rebuild). Nasty, fixing it exposed another bug (searching for exes was broken), with some incomprehensibly deep cause in the bowels of Windows, and fixing that exposed yet another (running tar.exe was broken) and of course I noticed 3 related bugs while doing that...

I also figured out why you didn't notice those console windows popping up previously: it only happened if you hadn't already downloaded all the utilities needed for packaging for linux/mac to the 'support' directory.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.