more Void Pyramid Android support

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

more Void Pyramid Android support

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Here’s some more Void Pyramid Android issues. I received the below e-mailed from a player.

Code: Select all

"I used a warp item to get back to the original room, and i got there, but the game dissappeared all the machines and obstacles :(

[He means that all the NPCs disappeared]

I tried to used several times a warp ítem to try to fix the issue but It didn't, i even died and It didn't work, so i tried to restart the Game but it crashed and showed me this message.” [see 1st image]
I assumed that was out of space on his device and suggested that he delete some files. He responded with:

Code: Select all

"I deleted some files and tried to play the game again, it works at first but then it crashes when i re-open the game, or sometimes it doesn't but the obstacles and hidden items show up white, the crash doesn't always appear, sometimes if i insist and open the game over and over it does work.”
I asked him to zip up the game directory and send it to me. He did so. I'll can PM it to you, however, the directory does not contain a debug file. In fact, it looks like the game hasn’t been opened at all (perhaps he tried reinstalling?). Then he said that every time he opens the game, he gets this screen (see 2nd image).

Is it possible that he just didn’t delete enough files? It seems likely that he needs to make substantial space on his drive. Which brings up the question, how much free hard drive space is safe to run an OHRRPGCE game?

I plan to tell him to delete more, but I'm curious to know how much space he actually needs.
Attachments
1st crash screen
1st crash screen
Screenshot_20170905-104504.png (465.35 KiB) Viewed 563 times
2nd crash screen
2nd crash screen
Screenshot_20170913-013553.png (147.01 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, looks like they still don't have enough disk space. I haven't looked at this recently, but we should make a move on it.

IIRC Void Pyramid is about 40MB, so it requires 40MB to store the .apk, plus a bit more than another 40MB to unzip the .apk the first time you run it, which happens during the OHRRPGCE splash screen (the music is most of the size and is incompressible), plus a bit every time you start it to unlump the scripts and make temporary copies of certain files. The latter is likely to be less than 1MB, though could be several MB for games with huge numbers of scripts. Finally, saving map state requires more space if that's enabled. And save and log files.

So after installing the .apk you need another ~45MB or whatever it is.

By "zip up the game directory" you mean the data/com.ohrrpgce.voidpyramid directory?
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Okay. That's more space than I thought. I'm still surprised that there are so many people with no space on their devices.
TMC wrote:By "zip up the game directory" you mean the data/com.ohrrpgce.voidpyramid directory?
Correct. I should have made that clearer.