OHRRPGCE Stable Release (Dwimmercrafty)

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

OHRRPGCE Stable Release (Dwimmercrafty)

Post by Bob the Hamster »

A new stable ohrrpgce release is upon us!

Download it for your platform here: https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Downloads

Here are a few highlights of the new features:

* NPC pathfinding, and other new NPC movetypes including follow-walls
* Record .gif videos with Ctrl-F12
* More map layers, hero definitions, and global variables
* More info shown in-game in shops and spell lists
* One-way walls
* Lots of new in-game debug keys/F8 debug menu options, and a similar new menu in Custom accessed with F9
* Can jump to item, attack, enemy, textbox and npc editors from other editors
* Lots of progress on mouse support
* On Windows, Custom's window is now resizable; resizing works almost everywhere
* Sound effect volume control

Or see http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/whatsnew.txt for more details

EDIT:

dwimercrafty+1 released!

Fixed a critical bug that erased On-Death-Bequest attacks and Non-Elemental-Counterattacks from all enemies when a game was loaded into custom. If you lost enemy data, and you still have a backup copy of your game from before August 29 2017, please ask James for help here on the Forums. (this bug also affected nightly wip builds from 2017-08-29 thru 2017-09-21)
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Congratulations on the release - some fantastic new features here. The new NPC movement options add so much.
vvight.wordpress.com
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Great stuff! And sorry to request something new already, but if there a way text size could increase when the window's resized in the editor? The default view is too small for me, I previously expanded the window just to make text easier to see. The new window resize option is amazingly helpful for map making, though!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The Wobbler wrote:Great stuff! And sorry to request something new already, but if there a way text size could increase when the window's resized in the editor? The default view is too small for me, I previously expanded the window just to make text easier to see. The new window resize option is amazingly helpful for map making, though!
Different font sizes is something that still requires a lot more work, but fortunately there is already another way to get the effect you want.

While custom is open, press F9
Then pick "Zoom 3x"
(The default is zoom 2x)

You can also make the higher zoom the default, by making a shortcut to custom.exe, editing the Properties, and adding -z 3 at the end of the "Target" (outside the quotes, with a space, like ....custom.exe" - z 3)
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks, that's much better! Then I guess my only request would be to be able to set different zoom values for the map editor and text screens, I like being zoomed out for the map editor but not for text boxes/menus. I'll just flip back and forth for now.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The Wobbler wrote:Thanks, that's much better! Then I guess my only request would be to be able to set different zoom values for the map editor and text screens, I like being zoomed out for the map editor but not for text boxes/menus. I'll just flip back and forth for now.
zoom 1x in the map editor is pretty beautiful :)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Different font sizes is actually likely going to be easier to support in Custom rather than in games, since most text in the editor is laid out without strict space limits. Better font support is something I want to get back to working on soon (after animations).
I'd like to be able to have separate editor and game default fonts. (And separate UI colours.) Then the editor font can be changed to something variable-width and a little more readable. Do you find the default font hard to read because of the proportions? The text colour?
Some game fonts aren't readable at all and it must be torture to try to edit a game like that!

An option to set a map-editor-specific zoom makes a lot of sense and wouldn't be hard to implement. I wanted to add a menu of map editor settings anyway.
It could be useful to add hotkeys to change the zoom. We already have that on Mac (see the Window menu). But it's hard to find any key combos that aren't already used in the map editor!
Last edited by TMC on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

That all sounds really cool!
TMC wrote:Do you find the default font hard to read because of the proportions? The text colour?
Hard to say, but 3x zoom is comfortable to me, while 2x has me straining a little. It's a bigger font than my web browser and I don't have a problem there, so it's not just the size. Contrast/proportions maybe?
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Is it just me, or is the .deb package not working? It just sort of goes about like it's installing, but nothing happens. (this is on Ubuntu btw)
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

"Can jump to item, attack, enemy, textbox and npc editors from other editors"

How? More info?
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

That's the highlight, it refers to these changes further down:
* You can jump to the attack, enemy and textbox editors from anywhere
you select an attack/enemy/box, or add a new one directly [Ralph]
* In NPC placement mode you can open the NPC editor by pressing ENTER
on tiles with NPCs (edit them) or without (edit current NPC) [Ralph]
Anywhere that you select a textbox, enemy or attack you can press Enter/Space/click to enter the textbox/enemy/attack editor. This lets you browse for an enemy/attack/editor, edit them easily, or add a new one. You can also add a new one directly by pressing +/Insert instead of doing so inside the editor. All of this is indicated by a message at the bottom of the screen reminding you.
Last edited by TMC on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

MorpheusKitami wrote:Is it just me, or is the .deb package not working? It just sort of goes about like it's installing, but nothing happens. (this is on Ubuntu btw)
You mean when you click on it some window comes up, but there are no useful errors or messages?
I'm not really that familiar with ubuntu.
Do you have a 32 bit Ubuntu version? If you do, the .deb won't work. But you probably don't. Try installing the .deb from the commandline so that you can see any messages that come up:
sudo apt install path/to/ohrrpgce_2017.08.31.dwimmercrafty-9231_amd64.deb
Last edited by TMC on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Ah right, I see that feature now.
I thought it would work to jump to sprites too (which it doesn't, but it might be nice in the future or something)

I had a similar problem installing a previous version .deb package. It just took a really long time to start. No such problems with the current package.

However, on the package installer screen, it says the version is dwimmercrafty.
Once it's installed, it changes to say Callipygous! Eh?
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

TMC wrote:
MorpheusKitami wrote:Is it just me, or is the .deb package not working? It just sort of goes about like it's installing, but nothing happens. (this is on Ubuntu btw)
You mean when you click on it some window comes up, but there are no useful errors or messages?
I'm not really that familiar with ubuntu.
Do you have a 32 bit Ubuntu version? If you do, the .deb won't work. But you probably don't. Try installing the .deb from the commandline so that you can see any messages that come up:
sudo apt install path/to/ohrrpgce_2017.08.31.dwimmercrafty-9231_amd64.deb
Sort of, the package installer came up, but pressing install did nothing. And no, I don't have 32 bit, it's 64 bit.
But the commandline installation did work, so thanks for the assistance.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I messed with Dwimmercrafty a bit the other night. I'm sure I haven't made the best of every feature yet, but I definitely like the ability to select NPCs directly from the map. That'll save so much time. The CUSTOM resizing is awesome, especially in the slice collections screen, as I can now see the whole slice in its native resolution and make changes accordingly. So, if I want to rebuild the game at a higher resolution, I can drag CUSTOM's edges to an even greater resolution and see what the slice collection would look like at my preferred resolution. It makes editing better.

Oh, and I know these aren't official additions if they're in the secret folder, but I found the mouse menu and gave it a try. This is easily my new anticipated and favorite feature. It will make my park-building game a breeze, but it will also make adventure style point-and-clicks a breeze. I love that the menu is finally accessible via mouse. Looking forward to the mouse wheel working, and to right-click going back a menu (right now you can use it to open a menu, but not close it). I'm also looking forward to the mouse working on choice boxes (it doesn't currently).

Anyway, I have more to try. Good update. Thanks for increasing map layers and global variables. I'm still trying to decide if strings should be increased, too.

I haven't used pathfinding yet, but the new mouse feature sending the player to a spot via click gives me a hint about how good it is.

Good job, guys.
Place Obligatory Signature Here