Workflow?

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Workflow?

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Anybody have a set process to keep on track as you take a project from concept to completion?
...spake The Lord Thy God.
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

I like to make outlines with a list of ideas in a 2nd column. try to always keep the end in sight
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Try to get your ideas down on the page, then refine them.
I use spreadsheets, text docs, drawings etc.,
Write down any ideas you have and prioritise your notes/efforts by significance

Start with the main/important portions and keep them of high quality.
Work your way down, making sure everything is aligned with core values.

Other details are scribbled in until they need to be refined or changed.
Don't spend lots of time on 1 or 2 bits of fluff (unless it's needed)
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Because I'm extremely implusive, I find it helps to write ideas down on a (hierarchically organised) todo list and then forget about them instead of working on them immediately, so I can continue whatever I was doing. Often they'll no longer sound worth doing when I go back to the list later. Now I just need to learn to delete them at that point :)
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

It massively depends on the person. For the Kaiju game, Soda has started working on a schedule of weekly goals and it's been extremely productive.

For myself, I feel that my work suffers greatly if I try to follow a schedule. Saying "this week I'll make sure this part of the game is done" just ends up meaning corners get cut and moments of inspiration are lost. I jot down every idea and I keep a spreadsheet so it's easy to go back and see what I've done/what needs to be fixed, but in general I don't find any benefit to coming up with a strict plan and sticking to it. I've made pretty large changes to this game as I've worked on it and it would be a much worse game if it wasn't treated so fluidly.

Never be afraid to throw out an idea that isn't working, even if you've put a lot of time into it. If something isn't fun, don't keep it in the game just because you've already finished it.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Thanks. LinearQuest has been a matter of "build something extremely basic, then expand." I was trying to figure out if there was a better way to organize myself for future projects.

The circle collab project got me thinking more seriously about this.
Last edited by TheLordThyGod on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...spake The Lord Thy God.