Increasing walkabout number of frames?

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Holofox
Slime
Location: New Zulin* mythical place near Austraaaaaaaalia, in the land of the long white cloud

Increasing walkabout number of frames?

Post by Holofox »

Id like to make more frames for my walkabouts but don't know if theres a solution. Maybe I can use more than one set of walkabouts? Idk could be complicated, but it would be nice to get some advice. :D
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

There are example scripts on the wiki for 3-frame walking. How familiar are you with plotscripting?

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... me_walking
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

You will need to slightly edit that script if you don't want every hero and NPC to require two walkabout sets.

I'm hoping this will be a built-in feature in the E??? release. It's long over-due!
Holofox
Slime
Location: New Zulin* mythical place near Austraaaaaaaalia, in the land of the long white cloud

Post by Holofox »

kylekrack wrote:There are example scripts on the wiki for 3-frame walking. How familiar are you with plotscripting?

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... me_walking
Iv'e read the tutorial over plot scripting but I haven't made any so far. I saw that exact tutorial for the multi walkabout set for more frames, but I still don't quite understand. I have done some basic scripting before on something called choicescript, but this is a little different and I don't really know how to begin.
Last edited by Holofox on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK. You should start by trying out some simple scripts (e.g. by following the plotscripting tutorial) to check that you know how to write a script, import it, and attach it to something.

I recommend you download the example game and examine it to see how the walkabouts are arranged. However that game also uses the walktall script as well as three-frame walking, so it puts all the walkabout graphics in the Hero Battle graphics list instead of the Walkabout Graphics list.

Start by duplicating the hero's walkabout set. If it uses walkabout set 4, then set 5 needs to be the second part of the same walkabout. Ideally the 'A' frame of the up/down/left/right directions should appear roughly like the hero is standing, though that's not strictly necessary. You can use this script for 4-frame animation instead of 3. Then edit the 'B' frame of the duplicated sprite set so that it's a bit different, just to test out the script.

Import the script (copy it into your .hss/.txt script file if you have one already), go to the Special Plotscripts menu and set it as the newgame and loadgame scripts.
At this point, the walkabouts of any NPCs on the map should appear messed up, because they haven't been updated for the script. But you can exclude them instead of having to modify all of your graphics. Ask if you want help with that
Holofox
Slime

Post by Holofox »

TMC wrote:OK. You should start by trying out some simple scripts (e.g. by following the plotscripting tutorial) to check that you know how to write a script, import it, and attach it to something.

I recommend you download the example game and examine it to see how the walkabouts are arranged. However that game also uses the walktall script as well as three-frame walking, so it puts all the walkabout graphics in the Hero Battle graphics list instead of the Walkabout Graphics list.

Start by duplicating the hero's walkabout set. If it uses walkabout set 4, then set 5 needs to be the second part of the same walkabout. Ideally the 'A' frame of the up/down/left/right directions should appear roughly like the hero is standing, though that's not strictly necessary. You can use this script for 4-frame animation instead of 3. Then edit the 'B' frame of the duplicated sprite set so that it's a bit different, just to test out the script.

Import the script (copy it into your .hss/.txt script file if you have one already), go to the Special Plotscripts menu and set it as the newgame and loadgame scripts.
At this point, the walkabouts of any NPCs on the map should appear messed up, because they haven't been updated for the script. But you can exclude them instead of having to modify all of your graphics. Ask if you want help with that
Thank you! :D
Rise of the female gamers!