Shop Stock Question

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

maunderingcabal
Red Slime

Shop Stock Question

Post by maunderingcabal »

I can not understand what "Incremental Stock" means. Does it mean it increases over time, or it increases only if there is already something in the shop... Please tell me it's a way to increase stock over time!!!!!

Also, it there an easy way to variate the price in shops randomly? So it's more like a market? I know this is a small engine, but it must be possible.
Here is my OHRRPGCE Development Page: https://startru.wordpress.com. Follow us on Twitter @startruckerdev
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Incremental stock means that when you sell an item to the shop, its stock of that item increases by 1. It should work if the shop is out of stock too. I guess the help page isn't clear enough?

Unfortunately there aren't any script commands to modify shop stocks. Random price changes could be accomplished by putting multiple copies of an item in a shop with different prices, which only appear if a certain tag is set, and then having a script set the tags randomly. (Or having multiple shops and picking one randomly). But that's a pretty lousy workaround, because it's lots of work* and each copy will have its own stock level. We need some script commands for shops.

*There's no prompt to copy an existing shop/shop item, but that would be easy to add and might make this approach reasonable.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
maunderingcabal
Red Slime

Post by maunderingcabal »

TMC wrote:Incremental stock means that when you sell an item to the shop, its stock of that item increases by 1. It should work if the shop is out of stock too. I guess the help page isn't clear enough?

Unfortunately there aren't any script commands to modify shop stocks. Random price changes could be accomplished by putting multiple copies of an item in a shop with different prices, which only appear if a certain tag is set, and then having a script set the tags randomly. But that's a pretty lousy workaround, because it's lots of work and each copy will have its own stock level. We need some script commands for shops.
I couldn't find anything to clarify. Thanks. How is that any different than "acquire infinite stock". When you sell to a shop under "acquire infinite stock" does it not add one to the store each time? I'm going to do without if it involves plotscripting for 40+ items in 15ish shops. That sounds like way too much work.
Here is my OHRRPGCE Development Page: https://startru.wordpress.com. Follow us on Twitter @startruckerdev
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

No, acquire infinite stock means that if you sell one item to the shop, the shop gains infinitely many of them! (Like the "In stock: Infinite" option.)

I'd like to significantly improve and change how shop stock works. For example I'd like to allow different shops to share stock, to share stock between different items in the same shop (e.g. so you can either purchase a potion or trade something in for it), allow gaining stocks of items that aren't defined in the shop at all, remove the 50 item limit, etc.
But that all means that I don't want to rush into adding any shop stock script commands now; better to make any fundamental changes first so we don't end up with a bunch of obsolete commands.

However, it occurs to me that adding a single script command to adjust the prices of all items in a shop by a percentage (eg, set to 120% of normal) would be easy, and would be something that people would want to do pretty often. You can use it to reward the player with a discount after a quest, jack up the prices if the shop keeper doesn't like you, or to randomise the prices.
Would that be good enough for you?
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.