Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks for the kind words!

Part of the game's world design is that pretty much everyone is buff and loves fighting. It's an entire world of muscle friends, even the grandmas and grandpas. Everyone's totally into body slamming each other to end disagreements. Dialogue is mostly written to stay loyal to that, with there being an overwhelming amount of tough guy macho talk. There is zero attempt to be accurate to the way people actually spoke in ancient Egypt/Rome.

Some characters have wrestling themed moves, others have moves based on the way they fight in actual Kaiju shows. American Beetle's a boxer, so he's got a bunch of traditionally named boxing moves and some Rocky jokes. Silver Potato fights by dancing, so he's got some fancy kicks and lots of meal preparation puns.

Several characters have on-map abilities that involve smashing stuff up/jumping from the top rope. Others have smaller, sneakier abilities. These are only used in specific areas to unlock items/shortcuts/hidden paths. The game's first fight involves a cheap shot with a steel chair.

Guacamelee's one of my favorites, I love it! If you remember the flashy fight cards that pop up before boss fights in that game, that's something I'd like to have set up here, but it's not ready to go yet.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

It's simply amazing! This will be the first, full, professional game with the OHRRPGCE, right? I'm really excited to play it :p
I forgot to mention but the tracks for the game sound banging too :p really great job from everyone on this title!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I believe it's the first OHR game that's officially licensed (someone correct me if I'm wrong), though it's not the first that's commercially sold.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Does it count if I officially licensed my own game about me and my friends?
vvight.wordpress.com
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks good Mr. Developer People for the .GIF recording function! Here's a clip of one of American Beetle's attacks. There's a plan to make the audience a little more lively for this backdrop.

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Animated battle backdrops help a lot! I imagine that animating the audience would be quite a nuisance though.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

A couple more attack .GIFs:

USA!: You can't wear flashy pants like Beetle's unless you're a true showboat. Flash the flag (accompanied by a sick guitar riff by Glock & mr8bit) and work the crowd into a frenzy to boost Beetle's attack power! Nothing like audience hype to power up your punches.

Combo: More's better, right? Combo lets Beetle punch an enemy upside the head 1-4 times. It's a bit random, so you're taking a risk! There's a 90% chance he'll hit twice, but only a 50% chance of three hits and a 25% chance of landing all four. Each hit does more damage than the last; this clip's from early in the game so the increase is small, but once you're beefed up with high-powered gear, it really makes a difference!

And here's a filthy, stank room that's part of a side quest:

guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Please tell me you have an action figure deal to go with this!
vvight.wordpress.com
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

guo wrote:Please tell me you have an action figure deal to go with this!
KBB sells action figures of a few of the characters already, nothing to do with me/the game team though. http://www.kaiju.com/mall_fun.htm
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Stellar; that desert backdrop certainly looks like it's out of a final fantasy, and it's the plainest thing on show.
It's kind of creepy how that couch just faces a large candle. Real exciting nights.

Hmmm... I'm seriously considering buying some Hell Monkey Hot Sauce. I could do with more hot sauce - bonus if it's novelty hot sauce!

I'm guessing American Beetle running back and forth after every punch isn't desired.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:I'm guessing American Beetle running back and forth after every punch isn't desired.
Yeah, it isn't ideal. It's fine for attacks where the hero will target a different enemy each time, but it looks weird when he's hitting the same one four times. Is there an existing solution?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I can think of two workarounds: have four different versions of the attack which hit different numbers of times... actually I guess this is almost identical to what you're already doing so would be super easy for you to implement. Use instead chains instead of normal chains. The other is to buff the Hits stat a random amount before, and restore it after.

As part of the attack animations rewrite it might be possible to start to work towards flexible attacker animations that don't return the attacker to their initial position. (Actually, Jump does that already). I'm not really sure how it would work, though,
Last edited by TMC on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:I can think of two workarounds: have four different versions of the attack which hit different numbers of times... actually I guess this is almost identical to what you're already doing so would be super easy for you to implement. Use instead chains instead of normal chains. The other is to buff the Hits stat a random amount before, and restore it after.
Using the Extra Hits stats eliminates the redundant running back and forth, but it doesn't quite work for this move, since each progressive hit is meant to do a different amount of damage/use a different attack graphic.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Ah, overlooked that.

As I said, since Jump/Land already work that way, it doesn't seem like a big hurdle to add new attacker movement patterns like "move to enemy" (and stay there). I am going to decouple attacker attack animations from move animations.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

That sounds cool!

Here's this week's batch of attack GIFs.

Chip: Like the best wizards, Silver Potato fights using dance moves and cool poses that fire out elemental beams, but sometimes an enemy's just too tough! That's where Chip comes into play. This move chips away at an enemy's magical resistance, leaving them vulnerable to dangerous deadly magic attacks. Stat buffs and debuffs are essential to survival in Fighto Fantasy, so use them smartly!

Microwave: Every RPG needs a dude with elemental magic attacks, but most games don't feature a dancing potato man who fires magical beams via sick dance moves. All of Potato's magic is inspired by food prep or food pun. Here we see him using an electric shock attack that teaches an important lesson: Don't put metal in the microwave!

Bake: Always be careful when using the oven. Don't forget to turn it off after use and don't just turn the heat up to max because you think it will cook your food quicker! There's a reason for recommended temperatures and times on recipes. Don't try to cheat the system, it won't work, your food will taste bad. Silver Potato isn't concerned with that, though. He's using his Bake spell to toast some mummies.