Flavor Text Adventure Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

It's active, and I have the captions set to like five seconds. This is callipygous+1, so maybe it's fixed now.

Do captions already allow variables (e.g. ${H1})? They didn't last I checked (admittedly a long time ago), and that's a good middle ground.

Being able to swap between enemies and attacks would be an amazing convenience feature if implemented right. I'm all for it.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Aside from my changes to caption behaviour when the battle ends, I don't think it's changed since C+1. I'm already forgetting the details of how captions work, so I'm probably mistaken.
Mogri wrote:Do captions already allow variables (e.g. ${H1})? They didn't last I checked (admittedly a long time ago), and that's a good middle ground.
Yes, since a few years ago.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Mogri, that's an awesome use of the battle screen. Well done.

Your suggestions make me wonder if having an optional choice box activate during a specific caption would be a good idea (with the following attack or defense being a result), kind of like rewarding or punishing taunts, for example. I'll bet that would lead to even more interesting battles (or puzzle choices).

Sounds like everyone is off to a great start. Keep the info coming.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

You can count me in! Here is a sneak peak of what I'm still working on.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/DijEsiMdz28"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/DijEsiMdz28" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="385" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Thanks to TMC for the youtube embeding code, you can find it Here!
Also, is there a way to make one way walls?
Last edited by Matokage on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
"I can't buy food with glory"
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Matokage wrote:Also, is there a way to make one way walls?
What a fascinating concept. Very creative.

I think one way walls might be in the latest nightly, but they might still be in development. TMC posted a preview for them, but I don't know if they got actually implemented or not.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes! One way walls are fully implemented (with the exception that they don't work with the map editor tools like Box and Paint yet). Press W in the wallmap editor, place it on top of an existing wall.

Yeah, that's a pretty interesting idea! I wonder, what can be done to make it into more than a lock-and-key maze?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Mogri wrote:Being able to swap between enemies and attacks would be an amazing convenience feature if implemented right. I'm all for it.
Done,
Mogri wrote:In the main battle menu, draw the highlight bar before any of the text, so that the outline of the previous item doesn't get eaten.
and Done.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Thank you based TMC
Working as intended!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hey guys,

When I started this thread, I had a great idea for an adventure contest with an ambiguous deadline in place, ambiguous meaning nothing concrete on the schedule. I really couldn't think of a proper end time at the time. But now, I've given it plenty of thought, and I have the perfect deadline in place.

Wait for it...

The deadline for the Flavor Text Adventure Contest is...

Wait for it...

Are you waiting for it?

Wait for it...

The Flavor Text Adventure Contest will end on...

Whatever date the final entrant releases his completed game!!!

...(crickets)...

Okay, now let that soak in for a second...

...soak in it....

Are you soaked?

Okay, so now why do I want to put the deadline in your hands?

Simple. This is a contest for short games, lasting no more than an hour or two. A good game doesn't take long to make. But, I also want to make sure that 1.) We have finished games entered, not just a bunch of incompletes that will never be finished, and 2.) Nobody procrastinates. You procrastinate, you hold up the line. This isn't to put pressure on anyone. Finish your game when you finish your game. But don't get lazy. Nothing will get voted on until the last game is online.

This also means no bugfix period. You tell us when you're ready for voting.

Now, because we're looking at an arbitrary end date, I do need to give consideration to the contest's current entrants, so I will be setting a deadline on entry. If you want to join the Flavor Text Adventure Contest, please state your intentions to enter by July 31, and please have a game in production by August 1. I extend this to those of you who are already making a game. Let me know you're in this. (If you've started your game, but you didn't see this message until after July 31, don't worry; you're covered.)

If you find yourself unable to finish your game, for whatever reason, let us know, so we don't have to wait for you to end the contest for everyone else.

I do have a potential emergency shutoff date of December 31 in mind in case some entrants wander off and don't keep us informed. But this is not a hard deadline, and I have it in place only if all activity and communication stops and those with finished games are sick of waiting on others to finish. I hope it doesn't come to that. I'd like to see everyone who participates stick with it to the end. But I have to have contingencies in place, just in case.

Are we in agreement?

Good.

So, keep the dialogue going. How are you all doing on your games?
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:So, keep the dialogue going. How are you all doing on your games?
Bad :gonk:

Just kidding, I'm just strugling a bit around some concepts. The video I posted earlier is just one of the minigames inside of a bigger deal.
Note to self: Review your posts before posting.
Last edited by Matokage on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't buy food with glory"
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

How about you instead make the deadline be whenever the second-last entrant finishes his game, to set up a proper competition? ;) The last guy was never going to release anyway... so in fact might as well place the deadline at the third-last entrant's release, to give the second-last person some motivation!

OK, but seriously, waiting up to five months after the disappearance of a contestant before closing the contest doesn't sound great, because I'm sure it's going to happen. May I suggest instead five days? If someone is holding up the contest's end they could at least be required to remain in contact so that you can hear whether they're still going to submit or not.

I haven't decided yet whether I'll enter; have to find an idea I like.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hmm, basing the deadline on the second-to-last entry release is not a bad idea actually. However, life happens, and not everyone who "disappears" has actually abandoned their work, and I wouldn't want someone to miss out because they had an Internet failure for the month between the second-to-last upload and the return of the Internet, for example. Extreme case, of course, but you never know.

I'm citing December 31 as a possible radio silence deadline but not an actual deadline. If this thread dies in August, then I probably wouldn't hold the contest hostage until that date. I think four weeks of silence is long enough to push the deadline forward, just as active communication is enough to push it back into 2018 (hopefully this won't run that long). I expect to see most entries begin to pour in during the months of August and September, if the entrants release when they're finished and not when they think the deadline is upon them, and if nobody is procrastinating.

I would be inclined to push the radio silence deadline forward into September or October if it looks like nobody is actively working. Anyone who stops working may as well drop out and say so.

At any rate, I'll deem the contest closed when the last confirmed entrant has either posted a game or publicly ditched the contest. Hopefully we'll have more of the former than the latter.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I'm still planning on making a game. I've started outlining. Since it will be short, I intend to finish it before August.

Here's the first line...

"Crap! The International Gala for Supremacy in the Fashion Arts is tonight and you forgot all about it. You are the world's foremost fashion authority and people will expect you to look awesome. You've got fifteen minutes to throw an outfit together. Get going!"
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I'm doing great. It's going to be called The Squire's Tale and it's set in a fantasy world that's a cross between Arthurian myth, typical fantasyland and occult fantasy. I think I may have actually spent more time on the worldbuilding then will actually show up in the game at this point. Most of the dialog is finished and I've got a great little Alpha Protocol-inspired dialog choice system going on. I'd show it, but it kinda loses something in pictures.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

I'm still entering my twine game. It's around half finished, although it'll probably be done sometime in the middle of August as there is quite a lot of proofreading and testing to do.
Working as intended!