Review for C.Kane

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

marionline
Metal Slime

Review for C.Kane

Post by marionline »

Infos
The game "C.Kane" by the Wobbler was released in 2016. It can be found on Steam.
For the review I played the linux version.

Plot
You play as Charles, (or C.Kane), a young media mogul in training. He still lives at home with his parents. First thing the game asks the player is to choose a difficulty mode, after the mother called Charles to wake up. The game also explains the keys. And Charles Mother tells us that it is Charles 18th birthday today. By exploring the house I got stuck in a bookshelf!
Next try: Then Charles goes to see the mayor, who send Charles (in company of two marines, who like to dance) on a quest against his enemy the Wizard Gettys. Charles is to travel to a land that Gettys turned into a grave yard. I found a buggy grave yard (buggy in both meaning). A quick battle and then it was game over.
Third try: This time I tried to avoid the bug battle, but there was no exit to the map without fighting the two bugmen. The battle takes long and is difficult. The talking NPC all remain invisible and it is hard to tell what is going on. A cut scene or just some backdrops would have improved the scene a lot! Invisible NPCs are somewhat strange... Also, after the battle the invisible NPC still blocked the exit. (That's then I gave up. I would have liked to provide a longer review, but I just could not figure out how to beat the game.)

**Bravo! Great Design!**
I really liked ...
- it's all in grey scale, that is cool for colour blind people. :)
- the comic like graphic style
- the menu that shows the controls
- the option to choose a difficulty level - nice feature!
- there seems to be a secret code hidden in the game, you can find note similar to "0 = T" on walls in the game - cool idea!

**Things that could be improved:**

- Mother says "Call your father before you leave" - how do I do that? How to use the telephone?
- Mary does not face the player
- I got stuck in Bookshelf (on the 2nd map)?!
- Most things do not "talk" when looked at
- it seems like there are invisible npcs on the map, if clicked they show (probably a backdrop via textbox) the mnt duck logo. Others seem to be blocking the counters.
- How did the marines suddenly show up? From where did they come? Are these instant-marines that just show up if called?
- Had hero turn invisible after pressing \ symbol ... is that a scripting bug or engine bug?
- An invisible NPC at the graveyard triggers a textbox where one talks to a Bugtender, the battle that followed against two bugman was way to difficult... The battle should against the bugman should be a bit easier, since it is the first fight.

Overall Impression:
The game was quite buggy at the start. And I did not get far from the start due to that reason. That is sad, because the game looks promising. The grayscale graphics are nicely drawn and are appealing. They surely give the game a unique style. The music as also good.
The outside map feel pretty unrealistic, the moving flowers are one thing, but the talking trees go somewhat over the top. Although it gives the whole game a parody feeling, it is unexpected since the fist area, the house looked not that much like a parody.
Another topic is the 'bugginess' of the game: There were invisible NPCs on the town map, in the mayor's office and the grave yard. You can get stuck in the bookshelf on the first floor of the house. The scene with the bugman fighting also contained a invisible NPCs, that even seem to hat a dialogue scene. That's confusing, at best. At worst it makes players quit the game.
All in all, these bugs mentioned above should be fixed. Game overs are frustrating to the player, especially thoses through no fault of one's own, like getting accidentally stuck in a bookshelf -yes, that was quite traumatic experience! :o
Loosing battles can also feel frustrating to the player, but it's more likely the player will think: 'Next time I'll do something different' and try again.
I liked the setting, also the idea to let the hero fights with words as weapons - especially regarding the debate on propaganda and what nowadays is called fake news. Unfortunately due to the bugs I could not explore the plot deeper and can not say if the game will focus on a moral about such topics, although it is hinted that the plot could go in such a direction.
C.Kane has a lot of bugs -I would not recommend it in it's current state -but it also a lot of potential, so I'd like like to see a more polished version! :)
Attachments
Invisible npc or voice in the head of the heros?
Invisible npc or voice in the head of the heros?
ckane0073.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Chales' first quest
Chales' first quest
ckane0025.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Oh no! Getty plagues America - good thing I live in Europe
Oh no! Getty plagues America - good thing I live in Europe
ckane0024.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
outside map
outside map
ckane0010.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Last edited by marionline on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I am concerned that something was wrong with the copy of C.Kane that you played.

I have played through all the parts you describe, and never seen the bugs you mention.

Can you send me a copy of the rpg file you used, and the version number from your copy of the ohrrpgce (whether stable or nightly) so I can test to see if I can reproduce the bugs you mention.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm actually shocked to hear this because I can't find any bugs like this, but I also can't test on Linux. The Bug Bartender should actually be the fourth or fifth battle and none of the NPCs should be invisible, especially the Marines. I'm glad you included the screenshots there, because the rooms definitely aren't supposed to be empty like that.

James, the whole world's gone mad!
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I was also wondering if either on Steam they allow buggy games or I got the wrong version or something.
The OHR version is 20160606, callipygous+1. I'd send you the copy by PM if the Wobbler is okay with that.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Yeah feel free to forward it over to James, I think that it might be an issue with using an older version of the engine, this version of Kane was made on a nightly release that came later.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Oh, then that definitely is the problem.

You always need a version of ohrrpce-game that is either *newer* or equal to the version that the RPG file was last edited. Playing with a copy of ohrrpgce-game that is older than the rpg file is a recipe for disaster.

If you play again with a current nightly, it should be fine.

So the only real unsolved mystery here is why you didn't see the following error message when you first started playing:

Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I kind of do want to record myself playing the game in an outdated version of the engine now, hype it up as a Haunted Copy.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I really should make that error message Spoooooookier ;)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

There have been some changes to obsolete-rpg detection since Callipygous but I don't think it was broken. I tried ohrrpgce-game from Callipygous+1 and it correctly detected some files I pointed it at.

But the copy of C.Kane I have was edited with a nightly from 20160122. Have you updated it? I can't run steam anymore because of graphics driver problems.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

January 2016 version was the main content update with all of the version 2.0 stuff, another version was released in September that made some balance changes and bug fixes.