Layers

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

DragonChaserKev
Slime

Layers

Post by DragonChaserKev »

Ok I am wasting time trying to do another game and learn to do things I hadn't in the last one.

I figured layers would be simple and yet they don't seem to be working, a simple door arch the character walks under but on layer 1 - 7 and my character still walks over it. I thought maybe I needed to create a new tile set but no that didn't help. Also I just downloaded the newest version of OHRRPGCE, I see as message which says Layer 0 obsolete or something... is the feature removed?
Last edited by DragonChaserKev on Sun May 14, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

In the Layers menu, you can re-order the Layers, including the layer that heroes and NPCs are drawn on.

Can you post a screenshot of your Layers menu?
DragonChaserKev
Slime

Continued trying to figure out the issue, then I realized hero and NPC is it's own layer (thought it was part of 0) and though I was moving them around it remained on the top. So I guess onward with my space rpg.

My first game (dragon chaser) though mostly done was a little too massive - though may polish it further, already with my second game I've added a plotscript element, a vehicle, and now the 2nd layer. It's a Star Trek rpg and I hope to have it finished in a week where as my first game (started 2011) has a year plus in it.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Last edited by DragonChaserKev on Sun May 14, 2017 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, ince to see you again! You might have noticed people are reviewing Dragon Chaser for the Year in Review contest. Creating a game in a week sounds like a productive limitation; getting to deep into one project rather prevents trying out new things.
DragonChaserKev
Slime

Yes I am back. Hi there.

I will have to look at the reviews. :D

With plotscripting do you have one file you add to and then just compile it again in OHR? That would make sense, guess will see if it works.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Dragon Chaser really has a "lost wandering a lonely world" feel to it. Maybe that's intentional, since the PC does have amnesia. If it's not, you could make it easier to play by just adding a few signposts or NPCs giving more guidance (although I know you already have plenty of indirect guidance): It just feels difficult to know how much content there actually is and where it is.

If you import a scripts file, it replaces all previous scripts. However you can split your scripts over multiple files and then have the main file include another one, by writing "include, otherfilename.hss" in it. Then just import/compile the main file.
Last edited by TMC on Tue May 16, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DragonChaserKev
Slime

Yup, am just using one script file and replacing previous ones... having some difficulties speaking hamster but sort of getting bits and pieces to work.

I will get back to Dragon Chaser and fix it some day, yes it has a lonely feel which was part intentional, but it has an unfinished feel too and I think that's what's hurting it most.

Took a day off from my Trek game yesterday so hopefully will get back to it today, was trying to do couple things but gave up on one and instead of trying to script the other part am using tags as I understand them well and you can do lots with them.
DragonChaserKev
Slime

My one week game attempt failed. Seems for every plotscript element I get to work 3 or 4 won't work for me and I'm wasting too much time. I'm hopeless with hamster I guess.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Don't be discouraged. If you're not very comfortable with plotscripting, the time required to complete scripting tasks in a game is going to be wildly uncertain. If the main thing holding you back from completing something is the plotscripting, that doesn't mean you should drop the project. You could finish all of the assets for the game first and then work in the code afterward. There's a bunch of stuff, text boxes, sprites, menus, shops, item and enemy definitions, that need to be done and don't require plotscripting. If coding isn't your strongest skill, you shouldn't lean on it to complete projects.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Just ask us why a script doesn't work! You're probably just misunderstanding a couple small details, which might be hard for you to work out by yourself.
I remember when I first tried to learn C programming, my programs just didn't work although they seemed correct to me. I didn't have anyone to ask for help and didn't know how to debug a C program, so I gave up. The problem must have been something quite small. A year or two later I tried again, reading a really thorough C manual that covered every single language feature. (I still think that's the best way to learn something, if possible; it avoids gaps in your knowledge. Unfortunately few things can be completely described as easily as C)
Last edited by TMC on Mon May 22, 2017 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.