Rogi Reviews Mirrored Soul Gaiden

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Rogissidor
Slime

Rogi Reviews Mirrored Soul Gaiden

Post by Rogissidor »

Writing
This is a short demo and there isn't very much to it, so I can't really critique it. The characters are going outside and the people out there aren't like them. There's more flavor text in the dialog but that's about all the story there is in this demo.

Visual
I don't know what the protagonist is supposed to be, but he sure looks like whatever he is. There's a confidence in the art style here and I like where it's going. Sprites aren't as nice as the character portraits but the style fits. Map design is pretty linear and that works for an intro, but the tileset lacks character. Water tiles stuck out, I'd work on those a little. Some angled corners and rock edges on the cave walls would help.

Audio
Not a lot of music but what's there shows promise. Sounds GBAish.

Gameplay
Not much combat so I can't comment very much there. There's two fights and you get two abilities to start out with.

Technical
This one is pretty simple, but I think that's the idea. It's more about the design than anything else.

Personal Review
I like the abstract character designs but that's the only element that I can say looks complete. It's only a few maps long and I finished it in about 10 minutes. It's a good start but I'd call it a concept more than a demo. I want to see it in a more complete state but I can't justify more than 1 out of 5 right now.

Favorite Thing
Character designs are unique.

Worst Thing
Lack of content makes it hard to justify calling it a demo.
Attachments
Colorful minimalism
Colorful minimalism
1.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
When do we get to go outside?
When do we get to go outside?
2.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Combat
Combat
3.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
Demo ends here
Demo ends here
4.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Last edited by Rogissidor on Sat May 06, 2017 3:08 am, edited 5 times in total.