Rogi Reviews Quodia

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Rogissidor
Slime

Rogi Reviews Quodia

Post by Rogissidor »

Quodia is a demo with a lot of potential. My playthrough to the caves was 35 minutes. I never died and didn’t use any items until the last fight. This is one of my favorites out of the 2016 releases.

Writing
The title "What Day" seems to describe the feeling of the game, there's a sense of confusion that you just have to run with. Earthbound was weird in a grounded, kid's adventure sense but this is OHR weird; almost dream-like, just enough nonsense that it doesn't feel like a real place. Unfortunately, the writing doesn't tie together as it progresses. There's no overarching story here. You wake up on the island and then everything after that is just random. What's the deal with this island and how do these little quests and characters build up toward an end?

Visual
Great use of color, really shows from the first map. Palette is bright and vibrant with good contrast. UI mimics Earthbound and looks more polished than a lot of games.

Audio
Music is okay but sounds a little midi-ish. If you're going for the Earthbound vibe, it could use some more interesting sample-driven tracks instead of synth pads. That style of audio was a big part of Earthbound's overall feel and it seems missing here.

Gameplay
The agree/disagree mechanic is a neat idea but I'd change it from abilities to items. Someone should give you two signs and explain that they're used in battle. Not much in the way of items and equipment at the moment. The battles aren't hard, just plug and chug your way to the end.

Technical
The jump pads at the end are a nice touch. Getting in the water changes your sprites but your party members change before they're in the water. Some of the battles have neat mechanics but implementation feels a little rough. Just needs some details here and there.

Personal Review
I like the idea and style but at the moment it's a solid foundation for something bigger. I give it 3 out of 5 for now.

Favorite Thing
Visual presentation and writing.

Worst Thing
Story isn't there.
Attachments
Vibrant scenery
Vibrant scenery
1.png (30.17 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
Swimming in (and out of) the water
Swimming in (and out of) the water
2.png (28.23 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Quirky combat
Quirky combat
3.png (8.59 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
Interesting menu choices
Interesting menu choices
4.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Last edited by Rogissidor on Sat May 06, 2017 2:02 am, edited 5 times in total.