Review for Sour City

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

marionline
Metal Slime

Review for Sour City

Post by marionline »

**Infos**
Sour City is a game by Phil and was released in 2016.
The game maker says it is a submission for Heart of the OHRRPGCE and suitable for people over 18. While the game seems to contains some more or less offensive elements, I doubt it would really be rated 18+ by the people who rate games. I haven't played the whole game, it might get nastier the further one progresses through the game.
Anyhow, it's not a game targeted at children, that's obvious. Could it be that the game maker was afraid of angry parents and lawyers who take him to court for bad taste?

**Plot**
The game starts with the hero looking for his clothes in his room. They are hidden.
The police comes to visit asking for the hero's friend Johnny. So the hero escapes on skateboard... (I did not play further than that.)

**Bravo! Great Design!**
  • - I really liked that you could open and close the fridge. Many things in the room showed a reaction if you clicked them.
    - The skateboard riding mini-game.
**Things that could be improved:**
  • - When is the game over?
    - Sometimes it's not clear what one has to do or where items are hidden. You could include a help-function that gives hints.
**Overall Impression:**
Story, tone, ascetics were not appealing to me. I would not recommend the game.
For these reasons, it is hard to rate the game in a fair manner for me.
One good thing I can say about the game is that it looks like the game maker seems to put quite a lot effort in making it. There are different game play elements, like a puzzle where one has to evade obstacles while riding on a skate board or drawing comic-like intentionally ugly portraits.
Attachments
a mini-game of skateboard riding
a mini-game of skateboard riding
sourcity0012.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
the police is looking for Jonny
the police is looking for Jonny
sourcity0008.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
the fridge opens and closes
the fridge opens and closes
sourcity0009.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
a funny intro scene
a funny intro scene