Learn Stuff! Cheap!

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Learn Stuff! Cheap!

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hey guys,

I received an email about this a week ago, but didn't check it out until last night. Udemy, a retailer for online courses, is having a storewide sale until April 30th on all of its courses for $19 each. These courses normally retail anywhere from $20 to $200 each, so it's quite a steal.

What kind of courses? Well, everything, by the looks of it.

Pixel art.

Music.

Programming.

Writing.

Ditch-digging.

Okay, I don't know about that last one. But there are so many options to choose from that it'll probably put you into a sugar coma. So, check it out. I plan to buy a course on learning everything Scrivener can do (and maybe one of those pixel art tutorials).

Here's the link: https://www.udemy.com/courses/

Post what you buy and tell us what you learn so that we don't all have to spend $19 on the same thing!

I'm sure there's also a course on how to convince people to buy stuff, if you're into that sort of thing.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

That is pretty cheap indeed. Might look at some of the TESOL courses, if they have any good ones.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I just picked up the Scrivener and pixel art courses I was eluding to earlier. Combined, it'll take me about 15 hours to get through them. They're quite comprehensive, though I suspect the pixel art course is merely scratching the surface of things.

I think the key with Udemy is to read the reviews and course syllabi closely. Make sure you're getting something you actually need (and want). Each course also has a preview section that allows you to see if you can stand the instructor's voice and instruction style for the entirety of the course. Fortunately, you have options, and many of them are good ones.

I'd also like to get some programming lessons, but I know I won't have time to do anything with them this year, so maybe I'll be more ready when the next sale rolls along. Though, I have no idea when or how often that might be.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Thank you for posting this
my wife took some writing classes as a result
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Picked up a TESOL course as well as a business management one. Considering taking either a Unity course or maybe one of the language ones.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Glad you all are finding useful things!

I'm about three quarters the way through the Scrivener for Windows course. I knew a lot already, but I'm learning even more useful and strategic things about it that I didn't know before, so it's money well spent. Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
Spoonweaver wrote:Thank you for posting this
my wife took some writing classes as a result
Any idea which courses? Nonfiction? Fiction? Basics? Advanced? Depending on her skill level and focus, I can also recommend a few supplemental free resources that she might want to look into regarding story structure and whatnot, something that can benefit both fiction and nonfiction. Let me know.