Slice Types Discussion

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

What are those three boxes for, portrait, battle and weapon? I don't think putting them next to each other like that makes much sense.

Yes, splitting up boxes into panes with simple lines could look and work nicely. Having those thick box borders everywhere doesn't look all that great.
I was thinking that the left and top equip menu could be made to look identical to the status menu.

But people will be able to change visual details like that easily. And we could provide multiple pre-made layouts to choose between, so if you want to create some alternative layouts you can (although it would be best to contribute them later, when you can set all the correct lookups and text embed codes yourself).

Check that your collection still looks good when increase the game resolution.

Don't bother with lookup codes. Yes, special lookup codes == special slice lookup codes. If they are available, they're selected by hitting Enter on the Lookup:... line.
Is it okay just to create a select slice which extends off-screen, and then how will you guys handle that?
We'll set those buttons to invisible if they're no relevant rather than use Select slices.
(such as when the button is pressed, the graphic appears to be dragged by the cursor)
Wow! You mean just like clicking and dragging an icon or file on a PC? I've never heard of that happening.
Is there any in-depth-ish guide to slices?
Well the Slices Tutorial is the best we have. It isn't really a tutorial. At least, not like the HOWTO is. And I think it just doesn't explain enough. In particular, a proper tutorial would walk you through using the slice collection editor, since that's the best way to learn about slices.
I think a tutorial on the slice editor would be a great contribution. How could you tie it into the existing one?

BMR's tutorial is the other one, linked from that article. He made a good start, but unfortunately the tutorial stops before covering much.
Bob the Hamster wrote:I do think it would probably be a good idea to have fibres working before adding a lot of new script triggers, but yes, you are right, no strict dependency there.
I agree that a lot of triggers like NPC move scripts would be a mess without fibres, but I think something like a click-trigger is very similar to a menu item script trigger, so is fine to add now. The bigger problem is deciding how clickable slices should to work: I still can't decide!

Also, I want to wait until we have GC before added a way to get a handle for a fibre, but aside from that script fibres could easily have been implemented 15 years ago on DOS! Putting it off was a big mistake... but I'm still putting it off!
Last edited by TMC on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Wow! You mean just like clicking and dragging an icon or file on a PC? I've never heard of that happening.
Yeah, like that. Disatisfaction with the on-screen gamepad is what makes slices so appealing as an alternative
What are those three boxes for, portrait, battle and weapon? I don't think putting them next to each other like that makes much sense.
Portrait, walkabout, battle? It could be for weapon graphic, or for later on, if items get icons, it would be handy. I just left it like that to show there's a lot of space that can be used for display purposes.
I was thinking that the left and top equip menu could be made to look identical to the status menu.
Honestly? I don't see why anyone would want that. The default menus are usable but ugly. I really like that one can use slices to make any menu layout (as soon as planks or w/e is sorted out)
But okay.
I think a tutorial on the slice editor would be a great contribution. How could you tie it into the existing one?
I have a lot of ideas for wiki articles. I think it would start simple, like using static slices for display and interaction, then dynamic slices which have conditions and movement, and finally, slice interaction and wall-checking and things like that.
Slice design would need its own section to explain how to use all the slice types effectively. They are quite versatile once you get the hang of their unique properties!

There's more stuff (ideas) but I'm still learning about slices really... Maybe I will get some inspiration?
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Virtuous Sword wrote:
Yeah, like that. Disatisfaction with the on-screen gamepad is what makes slices so appealing as an alternative
Slices are not yet a viable option for making a virtual gamepad.

the ohrrpgce currently has zero support for multitouch. sdl-android has multitouch support, and the virtual gamepad can't work without it-- so for the time being, we are limited to sdl-android's virtual gamepad.

I think the "draggging" you are seeing is sdl-android's graphical feedback that the d-pad area is being used.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

do you guys still need the slice-based layouts? I'm not sure that I could do it better than you guys if it should be done according to a certain style.

The status screen is pretty much done, but probably needs fine tuning.

How should I submit it? .slice/.rpg extensions are not permitted. Is this due to security concerns?
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Virtuous Sword wrote:do you guys still need the slice-based layouts? I'm not sure that I could do it better than you guys if it should be done according to a certain style.

How should I submit it? .slice/.rpg extensions are not permitted. Is this due to security concerns?
Did you try putting them in a folder and zipping it?
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

kylekrack wrote:
Virtuous Sword wrote:do you guys still need the slice-based layouts? I'm not sure that I could do it better than you guys if it should be done according to a certain style.

Did you try putting them in a folder and zipping it?
good point

*feels stupid*

EDIT: Can't seem to upload .zip here
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, right!

You can only attach images to forum posts, but can upload more types of files as attachments to PMs. So you can send me a zip by PM or email.
sdl-android has multitouch support, and the virtual gamepad can't work without it-- so for the time being, we are limited to sdl-android's virtual gamepad.
But I don't think all phones are multi-touch capable; I don't think my phone is. It's not common that you would want to press the A/B buttons at the same time as the dpad.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

TMC wrote:
sdl-android has multitouch support, and the virtual gamepad can't work without it-- so for the time being, we are limited to sdl-android's virtual gamepad.
But I don't think all phones are multi-touch capable; I don't think my phone is. It's not common that you would want to press the A/B buttons at the same time as the dpad.
That is true if we are talking about Android 2.x. some of them didn't support multitouch. As far as I know, Android devices newer than 4.x always support it (unless you are talking about an Android device like Google TV, or Amazon Firestick that does support touch at all)

Even with a basic rpg, I think walking, then pressing the use button to talk to an NPC are going to overlap frequently.