(Beta Testing) 1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

(Beta Testing) 1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart

Post by Willy Elektrix »

6 sweet games for the price of none!

This is the testing thread for the 1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart. It is in a mostly completed state and is now ready for testing. This is a project by members of the OHR community to create a "lost NES multi-cart".

Members of the OHR community have been working really hard on this 5 months. Please give it a try and post here with bugs or other feedback.

We need your help to make this a success! Play the crap out of this and post all of your thoughts here, please!

The download thread is here.

2 more games may be added to the compilation at a later date. Stay tuned!

The multi-cart really needs a title screen to appear before the menu. Would anyone care to create one?
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I'll get this started with a few suggestions for Star Dartle 2000 since I've been playing this a lot. There are new levels on this new version! And some of the enemies shoot! Whoa!

*There should be a sound effect when you get hit and power down.

*This is strictly necessary, but a flashing invulnerability animation after you get hit would also be nice.

*At the beginning of the first level, the is a space of about 4 tiles where the star parallax layer hasn't started yet. I think you can offset the parallax layer so that it covers the whole screen. I might be able to figure this out for you if aren't sure how. Let me know.

*The star parallax layer appears over the planet. It should definitely be behind it.

*Some levels end before all the enemies are off the screen. I notice this happens regularly with level 2, but there might be other levels as well.

*Level 4 has a blank space of about 10 seconds after the last wave of enemies but before the level ends.

*Sometimes Lord Shiptaur doesn't say anything to the player. If you guess right, he says "Grow in power!" If you guess wrong, he says, "You lie!" But sometimes he doesn't say anything and the next level just starts. I believe this can happen whether you guess right or wrong.

*If you kill every enemy Lord Shiptaur gives you a congratulatory message. This is on screen for about 2 seconds. It should stay around longer (or until the player hits a key).
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Although I only had a quick peek at the games, I'm impressed! Packaging everything together really, well, makes something bigger out of it.
Most of my bug reports won't be news to anyone...

The engine doesn't seem to reset the mouse cursor state properly when switching between games.

Some of the games are full screen and some aren't (Owlbears, Xeno Xafari).
I guess that if you switch from full screen to windowed, the engine should remember that when switching between games.

Owlbears
Awesome aesthetics, feels like NES, and a lot of fun.

What can you spell with the letters ADFKI? The number 7 is also special.

I'm surprised that the volume level starts out so low; there's no chance to set it lower, or to increase the volume in less than a large step. (I didn't think that anyone would want to set the initial volume to less than 10%, guess I was wrong). I guess you would like per song/sfx volume settings to bring volume down to a reasonable level. Would be nice have have volume in the in-game menu too; I made the mistake of turning up the volume.

Quitting while in-game uses the engine default Quit menu and doesn't go back to the multicart menu.

Is spawning enemies on-screen rather than walking on due to a engine limitation?

PicOHRoss
I'm surprised! A bonus game. Very multi-carty. Well executed. Who made this; Newbie I assume, based on the font? I haven't figured out how to play this yet, but I'll sit down and try to figure it out myself. That's the charm of games before in-game tutorials existed.

I'm guessing that "-2mins-2mins" appearing is a bug.

It doesn't have music, right? The music option in the menu doesn't do anything.
I should try to make the menu selection stay at the same position when you hide one menu item and unhide another.

Speaking of which, I think Xoo Xafari is the only game with credits... maybe a conscious choice because of the nature of the multicart?

Star Dartle
Some enemies spawn partially on-screen.

Dr Moonlight
Like Owlbears, doesn't quit to the menu.

Ultra Frontier
Did you take the parallax back out again? Didn't see any.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Quitting while in-game uses the engine default Quit menu and doesn't go back to the multicart menu.
I must've forgotten to disable the default menu so uh, just do a game over and quit the game from the main menu after.
Is spawning enemies on-screen ratehr than walking on due to a engine limitation?
Yes. It uses NPCs that can't be placed in negative positions in the map editor.
I'm guessing that "-2mins-2mins" appearing is a bug.
Yes, but I left it in for now since I mistakenly thought it had the consequence of telling the player multiple penalties were applied but now I realize it's actually visually redundant.
It doesn't have music, right? The music option in the menu doesn't do anything.
I asked Virtuous Sword to make a song (I'll still need to make a victory tune myself and an additional sound effect I forgot to implement).
I haven't figured out how to play this yet, but I'll sit down and try to figure it out myself. That's the charm of games before in-game tutorials existed.
There should be guides on how to play nonograms/picross out there on the internet. Hopefully someday I'll implement a proper tutorial.
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes. It uses NPCs that can't be placed in negative positions in the map editor.
(I guess you mean setnpcposition/putnpc rather than the map editor.) Something I've been meaning to change, since people frequently have legitimate reason to place NPCs off-map.
But when you shoot them they can be pushed off-map; I guess they get converted to slices?
Potentially you could expand the map 1 tile on all sides.
Yes, but I left it in for now since I mistakenly thought it had the consequence of telling the player multiple penalties were applied but now I realize it's actually visually redundant.
Redundant to what, the sound effect playing multiple times? The total penalty is still only 2 minutes.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

really enjoyed the multicart so far folks.
Newbie Newtype, sorry i'm useless at music or i'd whip something nice up for you.

I just played and completed Xoo. REALLY nice. Enjoyable, fun, not too demanding.
Good pacing (about 2 hours - 50ish days) and all the game bits work really well.

Graphics are really good, gorgeous and beautiful. Even the ground tiles!
General layout is good, and well thought out/structured, with attention to detail.
Areas visually distinct and very pretty. I've never seen such beautiful crystals and plants!

Each Xeno is really interesting, distinct, unique and funny (well, 90%)
It's a shame the catalog entries are not animated! Their animations are very charming.

I think you could add:
-animated eggs (bob, levitate, glow, rock)
-animated scenery (trees sway, drip, leaves, water)
-weather effects would be really cool!

MUSIC
The music was really good, but it begins to wear after half an hour to an hour
it's weird when exciting music is playing in the "end-game" when you've seen most of the xenos
it would be nice to be able to buy a jukebox thingy and/or control music, or unlock new tracks.
you might consider having a different set of music play after every half hour

STYLE
writing is really good. would gladly play more if there was more of it.
the scenery is too lush to not be interactable, especially the juicy fruits(?)
I appreciated the help screen and the items!

If a costume lures a xeno, you might add an icon in case a player skips over the description text (like I did, I had to reload) and I'm not sure what the point of the other 2 costumes are. I don't think there's much point to their existence in the shop, and they are expensive.
A player might miss that equipping that specific costume is the only way to see a xeno, or that the other 2 have only an aesthetic effect.

Plutonium Fairy (?) should be Assume not Presume, I think.

I would have liked to see more Xeno animations :p
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I played all the games. They look really nice together. NN, you sneaky dev. Your games look and play really well. It took me a hot second to realize that it was mouse operated and I was really confused about what to even do. BUT, I started to get the hang of it, and I was able to lose consistently about 10 times in a row. It's really hard.

Star Dartle should have an introduction of some kind to explain what the hey is going on. I don't understand who this big scary guy is coercing me into murder. I don't know what my motivation is to keep playing. It makes it especially hard that there aren't any continues, cause when I die I don't feel like starting all the way over. That's not to say that you should necessarily change anything, the game just discourages me from playing it. The title screen is rad, though.

Dr. Moonlight is spooky. It gave me the spooks. Sent those shivers down me spine. I got into a fight with a big ole' white fella who didn't attack and wouldn't die. I didn't know what to do so I closed out of the game. I haven't tried playing it again. It doesn't quit to the menu so I reopened the menu and forgot. I am very tired.

This was actually the first time I played Xeno Xafari. Great experience. Had a couple friends with me while I was playing it; the shared experience was fun cause I didn't have to just laugh to myself about the funny joeks or listen to the music. I loved the music. It's very similar in feel to Ramble Planet, but also feels totally different. I know that doesn't make any sense, but the point is, I probably enjoyed Ramble Planet better overall, but I like them both for different reasons. This, Ramble Planet and Void Pyramid all stand out from one another, yet feel coherent in their aesthetic appeals, if that makes sense. I love them all.

I might give more coherent feedback later.

EDIT: There are a LOT of files, and it's a little overwhelming. Even though you just have to find the executable and run it, it's not appealing to the eye. Not sure what exactly can be done about that. However, it's even more confusing in OS X, where I have to navigate to the folder in Game.app and figure out which .rpg file to run. I know it's in early phases, but at least including the right version of Game.app would help. I used my latest nightly build and that appeared to work, but that was kind of a shot in the dark.

Another Mac problem is the fullscreen stuff. Oh boy. OS X is stupid, and fullscreen stuff is so weird. It basically bugs out a few times and then finally does it right. I don't know how quickly and smoothly that can be fixed, but it's worth keeping in mind. You might want to default to windowed mode and have an option in the menu .rpg file for fullscreen. Or, better, if there's a way to detect OS X, default to windowed mode only on those. It's not detrimental, but it looks really bad.
Last edited by kylekrack on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Didn't play much of the thing yet, but on the two I haven't talked about in the last thread:
Owlbears:Nice looking, even if it seems to be a little bland in the gameplay department, but that could change as I play more of it.
PicOHRoss:Also nice-looking. Takes a little while to get used too. What's the most interesting about it, is that I could've sworn that we had a rule not to do anything that required something other than a keyboard.

On an uninteresting sidenote, I was legitimately about to post that I couldn't do any work on my two games due to technical issues. Namely that it was a bit of a pain getting OHRRPG to work for the first time on Ubuntu. Heh, who knew the hardest part of switching from a Windows system would be an unassuming target? Yes, I got it to work.
Willy Elektrix wrote:*There should be a sound effect when you get hit and power down.
On it.
*This is strictly necessary, but a flashing invulnerability animation after you get hit would also be nice.
Probably on it, assuming it doesn't look as ugly as sin.
*At the beginning of the first level, the is a space of about 4 tiles where the star parallax layer hasn't started yet. I think you can offset the parallax layer so that it covers the whole screen. I might be able to figure this out for you if aren't sure how. Let me know.

*The star parallax layer appears over the planet. It should definitely be behind it.
Probably on these. I actually forgot about that issue with the planets, I did try to get that working well originally, but ran into a roadblock.
*Some levels end before all the enemies are off the screen. I notice this happens regularly with level 2, but there might be other levels as well.

*Level 4 has a blank space of about 10 seconds after the last wave of enemies but before the level ends.
Both of these wave issues are easily fixable.
*Sometimes Lord Shiptaur doesn't say anything to the player. If you guess right, he says "Grow in power!" If you guess wrong, he says, "You lie!" But sometimes he doesn't say anything and the next level just starts. I believe this can happen whether you guess right or wrong.
I'll fix it, if I can.
*If you kill every enemy Lord Shiptaur gives you a congratulatory message. This is on screen for about 2 seconds. It should stay around longer (or until the player hits a key).
Easy enough.
TMC wrote:Star Dartle
Some enemies spawn partially on-screen.
I'm assuming you're referring to the bosses? Hmm, it'll require a little mangling, but it'll be done.
kylekrack wrote:Star Dartle should have an introduction of some kind to explain what the hey is going on. I don't understand who this big scary guy is coercing me into murder. I don't know what my motivation is to keep playing. It makes it especially hard that there aren't any continues, cause when I die I don't feel like starting all the way over. That's not to say that you should necessarily change anything, the game just discourages me from playing it. The title screen is rad, though.
I had a little intro written up, which was roughly to "The enemy fleet arrives to meet you, the loyal servant of the big scary guy. KILL THE ENEMY!" Which is basically the plot of most space shooters to begin with, just with a few variables changed. It'd probably be better if it was something like: "Lord Shiptaur and Star Dartle fly out to the enemy fleet. KILL THE ENEMY!" But I'm rambling here. Basically, shoot everything in your path, they're all bad guys who do bad things.
Dr. Moonlight is spooky. It gave me the spooks. Sent those shivers down me spine. I got into a fight with a big ole' white fella who didn't attack and wouldn't die. I didn't know what to do so I closed out of the game. I haven't tried playing it again. It doesn't quit to the menu so I reopened the menu and forgot. I am very tired.
You know, I thought I fixed that back when TMC brought up enemies not attacking. I feel idiotic for not realizing what the mistake was on him.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Another Mac problem is the fullscreen stuff. Oh boy. OS X is stupid, and fullscreen stuff is so weird
Hmm, gfx_sdl tries again with a different zoom if it couldn't initialise the window, although I would have thought that if it couldn't create it, nothing happened. That might be what you're seeing. Also, picOHRoss has a different resolution to the other games, so it will have to do it again.

I'll try it out on my mac and see if I can improve it. (And there are bound to be rough edges on "run game" which I need to fix anyway.) But the behaviour probably depends on the size/resolution of your monitor, and OSX version. I know that my OSX 10.8 mac seems to have different fullscreen behaviour to the OSX 10.5 mac on which I originally did the Mac port.

It's also possible to package all the .rpg files up into one .app; the .app is just a folder and if you put the other .rpg files next to the existing one I think "run game" should find it.
I could add an option to the Distribute menu to specify extra files to include in the zip and in the .app. That's something I wanted to do anyway.
I'm assuming you're referring to the bosses? Hmm, it'll require a little mangling, but it'll be done.
No, the regular enemies. Many of the waves of enemies spawn slightly on-screen. Mostly it's not terribly noticeable, but one of the worst offenders is when four blue or purple ships are spawned one after the other flying in a horizontal line. I think it happens when they're spawned behind you too.

Also, even the big planet is spawned onscreen! It just pops into view.

Also, the collision detection seems to be broken; it's possible to fly half on top of an enemy without being hit. I guess you're doing hit detection at one point (slice at point) instead of a rectangle (slice collide)? Well, you can probably blame this one on James :)

Regarding an intro, it would be nice to see a slight explanation of Shiptaur.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Redundant to what, the sound effect playing multiple times? The total penalty is still only 2 minutes.
Redundant to vertically aligned appearances of the -2 mins display. At the time the horizontal stacking looked accurate enough to provide info despite being a bug but now I see why it isn't.

I know how to fix it though.

On that note, I'm not sending an updating PicOHRoss even if I get bugs fixed until I get the music for it.
Owlbears:Nice looking, even if it seems to be a little bland in the gameplay department, but that could change as I play more of it.
Keep playing. It gets more intense as the game continues.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Newbie Newtype wrote: On that note, I'm not sending an updating PicOHRoss even if I get bugs fixed until I get the music for it.
No pressure then ? :p
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Take your time, I hate doing the distribution and constantly uploading .zip files so I want to do it as least frequency as possible.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

TMC wrote:Some of the games are full screen and some aren't (Owlbears, Xeno Xafari). I guess that if you switch from full screen to windowed, the engine should remember that when switching between games.
Damn. I thought I fixed that, but I guess I didn't.
TMC wrote:Speaking of which, I think Xoo Xafari is the only game with credits... maybe a conscious choice because of the nature of the multicart?
Perhaps Xoo shouldn't have credits. Although, I've got to credit the musician somewhere.

Ultra Frontier also has credits. Maybe I'm just vain?
TMC wrote:Ultra Frontier
Did you take the parallax back out again? Didn't see any.
2 out of 2 play testers thought the parallax background and the more detailed tiles made the game more difficult to play. It pained me to do it, but I got rid of them.
Virtuous Sword wrote: I think you could add:
-animated eggs (bob, levitate, glow, rock)
-animated scenery (trees sway, drip, leaves, water)
-weather effects would be really cool!
The graphics are already a little busy. Animated the eggs would be nice (since they can be interacted with). I'll implement it. Animating the scenery is probably a bad idea since it is supposed to be in the background.
Virtuous Sword wrote: MUSIC
The music was really good, but it begins to wear after half an hour to an hour
it's weird when exciting music is playing in the "end-game" when you've seen most of the xenos
it would be nice to be able to buy a jukebox thingy and/or control music, or unlock new tracks.
you might consider having a different set of music play after every half hour
That would be cool. I'd need some more music that blends very seamlessly with the other music. I'll have to see what I can find.
Virtuous Sword wrote: STYLE
writing is really good. would gladly play more if there was more of it.
the scenery is too lush to not be interactable, especially the juicy fruits(?)
I appreciated the help screen and the items!
I typically like to make everything in the game interactive, but I tried to scale that down here. Xoo was meant to be more "simple" (and faster to make) than my other games. Writing another hundred text boxes might be beyond the scope of this project.
Virtuous Sword wrote: If a costume lures a xeno, you might add an icon in case a player skips over the description text (like I did, I had to reload) and I'm not sure what the point of the other 2 costumes are. I don't think there's much point to their existence in the shop, and they are expensive.
A player might miss that equipping that specific costume is the only way to see a xeno, or that the other 2 have only an aesthetic effect.
Good idea. I'll make this really clear whenever the outfit is equipped.
Virtuous Sword wrote:Plutonium Fairy (?) should be Assume not Presume, I think.
You might be right. I'll check it out.
kylekrack wrote:Star Dartle should have an introduction of some kind to explain what the hey is going on. I don't understand who this big scary guy is coercing me into murder. I don't know what my motivation is to keep playing. It makes it especially hard that there aren't any continues, cause when I die I don't feel like starting all the way over. That's not to say that you should necessarily change anything, the game just discourages me from playing it. The title screen is rad, though.
I agree. Star Dartle's mechanics are pretty confusing. A short 1 screen explanation might be nice. I know NES games usually weren't well explained, but they were also more intuitive than Star Dartle. Maybe I'm wrong though.
kylekrack wrote:EDIT: There are a LOT of files, and it's a little overwhelming. Even though you just have to find the executable and run it, it's not appealing to the eye. Not sure what exactly can be done about that. However, it's even more confusing in OS X, where I have to navigate to the folder in Game.app and figure out which .rpg file to run. I know it's in early phases, but at least including the right version of Game.app would help. I used my latest nightly build and that appeared to work, but that was kind of a shot in the dark.
A nice costum icon might fix this. I can make one.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Games have delayed input, reading the keypress after I have let go.
I assume this is a problem due to my running it in WINE.

At the game select screen, it might be nice to see some text briefly describing the game, giving controls etc. so that a player knows what they are choosing.

Here are some ideas for the other game.

Ultra Frontier
-really cool and fun game! It is quick action reflexes and sharp retro aesthetic
- please add some powerup to the level, even if its just a 1up/extra life. It could be cool to collect points on the screen, and would give direction to the players movements, instead of just travelling through empty space (which is also cool, I must admit)
adding rows of points might help the player practice the controls!
You might take the route of filling the screen with these point-items, or having them sparsely strewn. Having more objects on screen would probably reduce eye-strain a little (depends how you do it really)
-the first time I played it, I died 30 times on the 3rd level. I slept on it and I think I absorbed some experience, I died twice and got up to the 4th level! how many are there?
-to make it hurt the eyes less, why not give the bg some colour and design, and vary it from level to level. A less sharp contrast would ease the harshness
P.S what happened to the textures?

For Star Dartle and Owlbears
Would be nice to have a 'panic button' which allows you to fire a laser or large shot that clears a line of enemies. Alternatively, it clears the screen of enemies. It could be a limited use thing, charged up or tied to a reserve of MP or something.
I realise you probably don't want to do this, but the games are a bit bland and somewhat difficult.
It would be nice to have some secondary mechanics for the player, and also might help the player stay interested and reach further in the game.
I died in both games repeatedly and it was a little frustrating.

Owlbears
-gets pretty fun the longer you play. I saw the jumping and flying enemies, and it got pretty hectic. I think my score was 27,000 but I wasn't really trying.

-I died and a line of those green flying things (like, more than 5 of them, in a line and overlapping) flew onto the screen and directly towards me. This might be a problem from running it in WINE, I don't know. I couldn't do anything except die :(

- speaking of those things (dragons?) sometimes when they fly on the screen, they make a beeline for the player without much warning.
When they come on screen I tend to panic. It would be nice to have some visual distinction between the ones that charge and those that circle. Nice touch though!
Perhaps show this difference visually, such as having them pause for a second before charging, or displaying an exclamation mark above them? Having them pause would also give the player a moment to get ready/prepared for their charge.
- It would be nice to have some powerups, like slowing enemies, or speeding bullets or increasing ROF or penetrating shots. Another idea might be to halt enemies on screen, or stop them from spawning on a path.
I also mentioned above about a "panic button" and some kind of secondary fire, or mechanic to manage enemies would be cool.
Another idea might be to have shootable goodies, like a thingy for points, extra lives or something like that.

- If/when enemies get faster or speeded up (seemed to get faster) you might designate this with a visual effect, such as a palette change (a slight shift in hue for example)

-The graphics are REALLY nice :p It could be a cool thing if stuff changed on screen, like someone peeking from a house, or animals near the trees, running back and forth, or leaves and branches swaying in the wind a little.

PicrOHRss

-the game is mouse controlled (with no instructions btw) but selecting menu options is done via keyboard. Perhaps allow the use of a mouse to select options?
and/or please allow the cursor to be controlled by the keyboard as well!

-it would be nice to allow the player to select the board size. A player may not want to play for 25+ minutes on a huge board, for example.

- consider a more animated background, it looks kinda "jerky" and not smooth.
How about being able to choose from different backgrounds?
For instance, a palette swap of the BG each time the player loses (or wins... I haven't won any games yet) might be nice.
Or how about some scrolling graphics on the edges of the screen?
It could be something like a bird flying across, or some weird esoteric patterns swirling and milling about or maybe in a ticker-style dealy.
Honestly, I like the idea of having some border around the screen, flanked by some entities surveying the board and/or player, like gargoyles.
Speaking of the background, it seems the main part of the image is in the centre, which is not seen by the player! Please put more interesting things nearer the edges instead! I am somewhat curious as to what is behind the board now.

-Having moving graphics brings player focus and attention to the screen. They will feel much more absorbed if they see things happening and changing on-screen.
Another thing that increases a players (human, really) attention is being watched, seeing eyes, faces and things like that (natural speech also) but it can be distracting if overdone

- are the blocks going to be multi-coloured? would be nice to see stuff like designs or patterns, various animation effects when you click etc.. I mentioned before about palette swaps.
That would be a cool thing to see applied to the board too.
If you could choose the designs for the board, blocks, BG, and music, that would make the game feel more arcade-y (think Tetris music for example, or Pokemon text boxes)

-You might have a message pop up when something happens, like 30sec remaining, it doesn't have to be a whole message, it could just be an exclamation mark,

- I will work on the music but please don't have high hopes.

I think both PicrOHRss and Owlbears have a really advanced aesthetic compared to other entries.
I would hate to see it downgraded however! Owlbears in particular is quite beautiful :)
Last edited by SwordPlay on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

You could download a Mac/Linux nightly build instead of using Wine.
-the game is mouse controlled (with no instructions btw) but selecting menu options is done via keyboard. Perhaps allow the use of a mouse to select options?
I found that annoying as well. I happen to have a script for that:

Code: Select all

# Lets the player select and click on menu items, and select the current menu
plotscript, menu click handler, begin
  variable&#40;mitem, menu&#41;
  mitem &#58;= menu item at pixel&#40;mouse pixel x, mouse pixel y&#41;
  if &#40;mitem&#41; then &#40;
    menu &#58;= parent menu&#40;mitem&#41;
    #select menu item&#40;mitem&#41;
    if &#40;mouse click&#40;leftbutton&#41;&#41; then &#40;
      if &#40;menu == top menu&#41; then &#40;
        # Clicked on the current menu
        use menu item&#40;mitem&#41;
      &#41; else &#40;
        bring menu forward&#40;menu&#41;
      &#41;
    &#41;
  &#41;
end
You can set it as an on-keypress script, which will cause it to be triggered on a click (you have to run initmouse first).

Also, in picOHRoss I'd like a way to give up on the current puzzle and reset.

I haven't made a serious attempt on Owlbears yet either, but my score was 26,000. The things that fly towards you seemed reasonable to me, although if the path they take is random (is it?), you could get unlucky.

Did the playtesters find the parallax in Ultra Frontier annoying because it gave an inaccurate sense of speed? Or did you really overdo it with a lot of stuff in the background?
Last edited by TMC on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.