OHR Multicart Compilation

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Isn't this an officially public release though, and not merely a contest? I may be wrong.
It may possibly attract media attention of some kind, hopefully the right kind :p
And if you aim to distribute it that is quite different to submitting games for a contest for fun amongst friends.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

It started as a community project and the whole distributing to media kind of came out of nowhere (no offense, Willy). We'll probably be bugfixing and polishing our games after release, anyway.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Ah, I see. I would like to see a serious project come forth from the OHRRPGCE community someday!
I think distributing it online is a really clever, savvy, etc. idea and sets a precedent for later on when some of us want to get our games released through, say, online game stores and such!
It would help if one wanted their games to be taken seriously in the future (not that any game sufficiently polished won't be taken seriously)

Edit: it was actually Void Pyramid that brought me here. Good game it was too!
Last edited by SwordPlay on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Fear Tactics:
I like the title screen and the new name.
Text sound seems a bit off. It sounds more like a Zelda text than a RPG text.
The intro is much better with the sound and music you've added.
The enemy doesn't seem to have any attack sound effects.
You might want to change the quit option to a regular yes or no choice. It currently uses the selection cursor and its a bit ugly.
Enemies get trapped if there's a tree in the way, or if they're on the corner of a player.
The third battle doesn't give the enemies any health.
I don't think I mentioned it before, but the decision to color-coordinate the characters portraits and text-boxes is quite an interesting choice. I think it works in your favor.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

MorpheusKitami wrote:Fear Tactics:
I like the title screen and the new name.
Text sound seems a bit off. It sounds more like a Zelda text than a RPG text.
The intro is much better with the sound and music you've added.
The enemy doesn't seem to have any attack sound effects.
You might want to change the quit option to a regular yes or no choice. It currently uses the selection cursor and its a bit ugly.
Enemies get trapped if there's a tree in the way, or if they're on the corner of a player.
The third battle doesn't give the enemies any health.
I don't think I mentioned it before, but the decision to color-coordinate the characters portraits and text-boxes is quite an interesting choice. I think it works in your favor.
Hey, thanks for the comments!

The text sound effect probably sounds more suited to a Zelda-like game because it's from Foxley's Zelda-like game. I see your point, but I'm probably not going to change it, for time's sake.

Ah, you're right. Enemies do not make sounds when they attack. Neglected to put that in both scripts. Sounds came long after attacking was scripted.

I will probably change the quit game option. Haven't gotten around to it. Thank you for reminding me.

The enemy AI is atrocious. Like you said, they can't even get around walls. They are bumbling idiots. Trying to implement BMR's pathfinding script from the wiki right now, because I gave up on trying to write my own.

The enemies in the third battle haven't been given stats yet. They can't even move because their speed is 0. I was going to fix that before doing another release, but I don't think I'm going to get around to it until after a few other things, and I wanted to get something out to prove I'm not totally slacking. Again, thank you for the comments, they remind me of things that slip my mind. I should write all these things down somewhere...
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

kylekrack wrote:The text sound effect probably sounds more suited to a Zelda-like game because it's from Foxley's Zelda-like game. I see your point, but I'm probably not going to change it, for time's sake.
Hmm...how about S13 from that same sound effect pack?
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

kylekrack wrote:I'm not done, unfortunately. It feels pretty far from it, actually... I really need to get a bulk of the work done.

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=126553

My biggest obstacles at this point I think are stat balancing and enemy AI.
I just played the newest version. The interface is pretty slick. I really dig how the player moves from one battle to the next by wandering on the map. I hadn't thought of transitioning between the battles like this. It works really well!

I found a bug that you might not know about. On the 3rd battle, the swordswoman is on the edge of the battlefield and cannot be highlighted. In other words, you can't move the cursor over her in order to give her orders.
Virtuous Sword wrote:Edit: it was actually Void Pyramid that brought me here. Good game it was too!
My work here is done.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart is now available for download. Make sure to post your feedback in the beta testing thread.

There is still much to do! Let's spend the time to polish this game into something marvelous.

The multi-cart really needs a title screen to appear before the menu. Would anyone care to create one?
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I'm considering cutting my development short and just tying up enough loose ends to release the game as-is so it's playable, but I'll have to do more thinking about it before I make that decision.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Foxley, how is Action 37 coming along?
I hope to play the full game, it's really cool and I want to try out the different items :p
The bosses also look pretty rad, and the dialogue is chilling! Great atmosphere!

Please include some kind of guide on what to do, even if its just vague cryptic hints, I got lost and didn't know what to do.

other stuff redacted cus im a slime
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Dude, I'm already very unlikely to finish the game as it is. Piling a bunch of additional feature ideas onto the game is not at all helpful. I already cut a bunch of planned stuff to make it easier for me to finish developing the thing.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Sorry to hear that :(
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Foxley wrote:Dude, I'm already very unlikely to finish the game as it is. Piling a bunch of additional feature ideas onto the game is not at all helpful. I already cut a bunch of planned stuff to make it easier for me to finish developing the thing.
I realize it's frustrating when you're in the crunch, but it's pretty rare to have someone care enough about your game to think of ways to make it better. Even if you can't use that advice now, it's something good to keep in your pocket for next time, when you're better able to plan and design for it from the start.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Sorry bout that Foxley. Wasn't thinking straight! I didn't mean to dump on you.
I just reread some of your other posts, and I understand this is your personal project and that you've already put a lot of effort into this.
I hope your game goes well. FWIW it's really good from what I've played!
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I need to apologize. I've been under crazy amounts of stress lately from my job paired with completely burning out on developing this game. Biting your head off over providing ideas was a slimy and unacceptable way for me to react.

Think this is a clear sign I need to take a break from this whole thing in general and find some other things to do that are enjoyable and don't make me even more stressed out. My game is going to be "ready when it's ready" and I'm not making use of any deadlines or timeframes anymore at this point. I'll pick away at it when I have the motivation to do so and hopefully it'll be done sometime this year.