OHR Multicart Compilation

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Foxley wrote:Just to make sure I didn't have a horrible lapse of memory, I rechecked this thread for any mention of this thing being marketed to the gaming press anywhere in this thread until very recently, and I can't find anything.
We all put a lot of work into this game. I want it to have an audience. I'm really trying to do the right thing.
kylekrack wrote:EDIT: Also, side note, I have nothing for the sounds and music in my game. Any recommendations there?
There is lots of public domain music (even chiptunes) on www.archive.org. Just search for "chiptunes". Most of the music is on a Creative Commons License (free to use) or an Attribution License (free to use as long as the author is credited).
Nathan Karr wrote:I figured that with its straightforward concept, the memory of the original game's framework in my head, and all the time I had I could get this whole thing done before January. Clearly this has not been the case...even when I have full days off with several hours clear I can't focus on this project long enough to make meaningful progress.
Bummer! I hope you take the time to finish it at some point.

[quote="TMC"That doesn't mean it can't be nonsensical, heaps of great games have nonsensical plots and bizzare advertising materials which tell a fiction (and I think Willy's advertising plan sounds fine), but it's maybe not a good idea to use a backstory about how these games were a commercial failure and a disaster. I've never seen any game do something like that when they want to be taken seriously.[/quote]

This is a good point. A more serious story is in order. Since no one else has stepped forward here (thought it's not too late), I'll go back to using Bob's story as a base. I'll try making it less humorous, but maybe a little more unique... somehow...
Virtuous Sword wrote:Out of interest, when do you intend to release this compilation.
The first version will be released just in the OHR community. Everyone here will need to help bug test it. I'm hoping to put it out very soon (1 or 2 weeks). I'm pretty much ready. I'm just waiting on people's games.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Willy Elektrix wrote:We all put a lot of work into this game. I want it to have an audience. I'm really trying to do the right thing.
Trust me, I can respect that. I think it's more that it wasn't communicated earlier on.

Also sorry if my last post came off as overly harsh, hopefully I got some valid points across though.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Here's some questions (Maybe already asked, maybe already answered) to try to get everyone on the same page about the backstory.
1. What is the purpose of the backstory/framing device?

2. How up-front should the backstory/framing device be?
I won't ask more questions than that because they'd be mostly biased towards my own opinion. The sense I'm getting so far is that the backstory is being used to sell the whole concept, to try to transform a batch of average games into something more attention worthy. It also seems like the intention is to be very upfront with this; if boxed copies of the game were available, the back of the box would read "Hey! Look at these average games that some really really weird company put together! Celebrate how weird that company was!".

I suppose there's some issues there with whether or not this was a weird game developer or a weird game publisher. I don't have any ideas on that.

As for the questions, my answers would be as follows:

1. The purpose of the backstory should definitely be to create curiosity. Something to separate us from the many, many, many, many other indie games currently on the market. The other day I saw that Capcom is re-releasing a batch of their old Disney licensed NES games on Steam, so a retro-compilation isn't an unbelievable concept. And if you saw something that was like... "The Merkelware Collection: 1983-1993" you might wonder just what kind of company Merkelware was, or even what Merkelware was at all. And if you feel that way, you've fallen into our trap.

2. As for how up-front it should be, I think it should be waaaaaay in the background, though I realize it's a lot more legwork this way. I think the advertising for the games should focus on the games, with the "Weird company" megaslime being more of a background thing. I don't want to say an ARG, because I kind of hate ARGs, but the same basic principle of it being story in the background, secrets and lore and mysteries to give people a little bit more to chew on. But nobody'll chew on it all if nobody plays the games to start, so it's a sticky situation.

I think it'd be interesting to tell the story in like.. the credits, the high score screens, easter eggs. Things like This have always really fascinated me, secret messages from the developers that can be accessed in weird ways. Cheat codes being signatures from different programmers or developers, and different implications from what it means. Which again is maybe bordering on too god damn ARG-y. And it'd need some kinda outside website for the company and it turns into a whole big mess. As much as possible, it should be self-contained within like... the game, the game-listing (wherever that might be) and the documentation within the game package.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

If I had more time, I'd definitely start working in easter eggs referring to the backstory and all that jazz, that sounds really cool. I'm just barely gonna be able to finish it, is the problem. But, if we do a closed release like Willy's talking about that's mostly for playtesting, I can get the core game done by that release, and then use the playtesting period to add in coherence with the game's history.

I've stumbled into a few issues as a result of trying to finish it in time. For instance, I sometimes feel like it's not NESy enough and it's got too much dialogue. I feel like I may be making it a little too self-contained or self-absorbed, making me worry whether it fits in with the rest of the games. That's just me worrying, of course. Once I finish the next few battles I'll upload the game and you guys can tell me if my concerns are in the right place. Right now I'm just overwhelmed with realizing how stupid the AI is and how much work that'll take, and then balancing the stats is scary because I've literally never done that.

I'm starting to freak out about getting a satisfactory game out. I want to make the multicart look better, not worse. I will be able to finish, uni is just really sucking my time (and energy). I'm sorry I haven't been more present for this process, I really want to be. hopefully I'll be able to manage my time better and dedicate more time to this. It's a big priority of mine, I promise.

UPDATE: I've spent all today on a train and I've gotten a lot done. I'm freaking out less now that there's significantly more to play through. I just need to give the bad guys appropriate stats and I'll upload it.

Adding sound and music helped loads as well. I snatched some of Foxley's sound effects and they make the whole experience so much better. They sound so good and satisfying. I pulled some music from archive.org like Willy suggested and having music helps a lot too. It definitely helps give it that "retro feel" for lack of a better term.
Last edited by kylekrack on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I'm happy to say, I actually finished Star Dartle. And it was only slightly later than I said it would be. Eh, at least it was an accurate statement in some time zones.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hlfc88bqd ... dartle.zip
Also, fair warning, it's definitely not up to the NES content guidelines.
Will weigh in on things that have been said when I'm not incredibly tired.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I played it. I have a few issues with it. After the first level I just get immediately killed by ships coming from behind. There isn't even any time to react. And then once you die you have to start over. Is there any reason you only gave 1 life to the whole game? I'll keep trying but I don't know if I'll be able to get any further only being able to get hit once and only having one life.
Ps. I love my wife
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Foxley wrote:Not gonna lie, I seriously liked this more.
Okay, maybe that wouldn't be so bad as a different contest.
Willy Elektrix wrote:This is a good point. A more serious story is in order. Since no one else has stepped forward here (thought it's not too late), I'll go back to using Bob's story as a base. I'll try making it less humorous, but maybe a little more unique... somehow...
So I'm trying to think up a backstory in vague terms before moving on to really concrete ideas, here's what I've come up with:
1)An obscure '90s bedroom developer managed to create an NES multi-cart. It's certainly possible, and I don't think that would give us an Action 52 vibe. Could say it was a demoscene kinda thing or something.
2)A game from Russia/China/North Korea/Taiwan recently translated into English. Even came up with a need pun for a NK NES, "Kimicon". Only problem is those countries are known as the the greatest ever producers of old Nintendo systems.
3)A fictional charity for saving hamsters from animal testing decides to release a game as a means of spreading awareness. It'd be an interesting thing to read, but it wouldn't scream quality gaming time.
4)Space hamsters liked the NES so much they decided to make a game of their own.

1. What is the purpose of the backstory/framing device?
To turn intrigue from the concept into actually playing the game. Especially in a year that video game critics seem to feel is oversaturated with great games.
2. How up-front should the backstory/framing device be?
I see the backstory as being the second or third part of a description of the game, behind the general concept.
Gizmog wrote: 2. As for how up-front it should be, I think it should be waaaaaay in the background, though I realize it's a lot more legwork this way. I think the advertising for the games should focus on the games, with the "Weird company" megaslime being more of a background thing. I don't want to say an ARG, because I kind of hate ARGs, but the same basic principle of it being story in the background, secrets and lore and mysteries to give people a little bit more to chew on. But nobody'll chew on it all if nobody plays the games to start, so it's a sticky situation.
That's not too uninteresting. But I think there are a few problems with this. Would people really care all that much about it at that point? Admittedly, I'm not terribly into the dev story in regular games, and I don't think many other people would be. Realistically there'd need to something to make players want to research the backstory in game. Like another game to unlock or some sort of reward for figuring it out. Which I guess makes it an ARG.
kylekrack wrote:I played it. I have a few issues with it. After the first level I just get immediately killed by ships coming from behind. There isn't even any time to react. And then once you die you have to start over. Is there any reason you only gave 1 life to the whole game? I'll keep trying but I don't know if I'll be able to get any further only being able to get hit once and only having one life.
Technically, you have more than one hitpoint, it's just that you don't get any mercy invulnerability so the point is moot unless you have full weapon power.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/59pjm5meu ... _mercy.zip
Anyhoo, that gives you a little breathing room. Unfortunately if either of my two games have issues that need to be resolved, then it probably isn't going to happen for a few days. Got a new computer and upgraded to Ubuntu from Windows 10 and haven't quite gotten OHRRPGCE working yet.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Hullo chaps!
[s]Made[/s] Stole this thingy for your backstory, for inspiration and as a jumping point.
Hope it's useful, or something.

WHO MADE IT
can haz mysterious origin?
1. Hamster scientists
2. Aliens
3. Crazy foreigners
4. A demonic entity
5. A strange hermit
6. Teenager in their bedroom
7. A geek couple
8. Jesus
9. A talking stone
10. A government/military A.I.
11. A blind, deaf, and mute person
12. A prisoner in a mental asylum
13. A trapped spirit from another dimension
14. An ancient deity
15. A long forgotten king
X. All of the above
Y. A combination of the above

HOW THEY MADE IT awe inspiring work and tremendous feat
1. laboured for years
2. caused to appear mysteriously overnight
3. abducted slaves to work on
4. telepathically induced the creation of
5. used a glitch in the matrix to make
6. asked politely for
7. cobbled together out of old bits
8. stole and lifted bits to make
9. prophesised
10. Etched rudimentary designs for
11. Went into a subconscious trance and made
12. went abroad and hired cheap labour to create
13. assembled a team of crack experts to create
14. hacked the internet to find and make
15. poured financial wealth, resources and investment to create

WHAT IT WAS a silly premise
1. a brainwashing device
2. the greatest game collection ever made
3. a misguided but sweet attempt at "fun"
4. a propaganda vehicle
5. a masterpiece of art and expression
6. a secret weapon system
7. a madness inducing nightmare
8. our last, great hope
9. the fulfilment of ancient prophecy
10. a gift of love
11. an act of jealousy
12. their last will, declaration and statement before extinction/death
13. a piece of whimsy
14. a portal to hell
15. a self help guide or instruction manual
16. a message from a distant god to all of humanity
17. ominous and foreboding prophecy

WHAT HAPPENED BECAUSE OF IT what is its power?
1. which was well received and adored by fans/developer
2. which was hated and despised by the government (sinister forces)
3. which was feared for its content and format by all living beings, including turtles and llamas
4. which was regarded jealously by another faction
5. which struck horror into the hearts of the developer/maker
6. led to the deaths of all involved
7. which killed the creator in its making
8. killed its own creator after being made
9. which had a lust for blood
10. wanted to reach and meet people
11. questioned its own destiny/creation
12. pondered/contemplated the existence of the universe
13. cried incessantly

WHAT HAPPENED TO IT excuses excuses
1. covered up
2. lost in time
3. stolen
4. went missing
5. stayed unreleased
6. thrown by a cleaner in the trash
7. locked away in a secure vault with weapons defense systems
8. flew away after magically growing wings
9. a dog ate it
10. a pigeon flew in and carried it away
11. sabotaged by a disgruntled employee
12. undermined by the ma
13. rejected in disgust
14. rejected in horror
15. rejected in shame

WHY NOW? dreams meet expectations
1. Recovered by a team of 1337 hackers
2. Released by a mysterious organisation (evil) for nefarious purposes/agenda
3. Disseminated by a mysterious organisation (good) in order to save the world
4. Stumbled upon and found accidentally by a small child (dunno... mix it up?)
5. Awoke of its own will and released itself
6. found buried in the desert
7. a hobo stumbled across it and tried to pawn it
8. passed around in shady circles until
9. kept safe by a secret organisation dedicated to this task
10. jealously safe guarded by an ancient power/deity/being
11. recreated in a dream by a little girl
12. recreated by a supercomputer through sheer chance and luck
13. heavily edited and censored by a third party and then released

Or some combination of all of those.
Could be fun if each game has its own description and story when you were selecting it in the main menu... Just thoughts.. Don't take it seriously!

Actually, if you tried to include as many elements as possible, that would be pretty funny and signal that it is supposed to be a joke.

"Hamsters which were recovered by a charity organisation.
Suddenly attained sentience.
(And 1337 programming skills)
Due to contact with outsiders (aliens? Jesus? mysterious digital/virtual force?)
They obtained a special tiny, miniscule set of computers from the government/game company (which were originally intended for lab rats. but they all quit)
And worked on a strange project of games for hamsters, by hamsters.
Unfortunately, this took an incredible toll on the tiny hamsters brains, minds and bodies.
They worked, absorbed in their coding until they became ill.
Driven by madness, they etched ancient runes and programming secrets on the hamster wheel.
They shunned basic necessities such as food and sleep until their fur fell out.
They stared so much at their tiny hamster screens until they started to go blind.
They began to abuse substances such as alcohol and hard drugs. Many died due to complications from their excessive chain-smoking habits.
The hamsters turned on each other, and even their own families.
Driven by insanity, they started to fight amongst themselves.
The hamsters grew more reclusive as they worked on this project until they expired one by one... leaving the games unfinished, and a trail of hamster tears littered across their tiny keyboards...
The last hamster to die left a message, blinking on the tiny hamster-sized monitor:
"Kill me. End the madness. I miss my friends. Tell my wife I love her, and that I'm sorry"
Ashamed by what they had wrought, the japanese(?) game execs decided to pull the game and never mention it.

Forward many years. The games have been found but no one can believe it.
A few foolhardy, or brave, game developer(s) have taken on the perilous mission of updating, restoring and finishing those games, and making them available for public release on modern platforms.

This is their story.

I personally think a different story for each game would work really well.
Action 37 strikes me as being strongly suited to a interdimensional horror story, for example.
I am not fond of the hamsters-created-it angle due the games not really reflecting that. Unless you edit all the games EXTENSIVELY.

Would be cool to have a (c) or (TM) showing the crazy developer, and maybe like an appropriate message from this supposed developer before or on each title screen, or locked away in the ending, like little clues, and if you complete all the games-
sorry, rambling :p

I think visual and audio static would really help reinforce the "glitchy" or "unfinished" nature of the games. Maybe in the game selector? Matrix style doesn't really strike me as being appropriate, unless it is running faintly in the background (which would be a nice effect)

Anyways, I think most of the stuff I mentioned here has been said before.
Also, if anyone wants ideas or help, I have a lot of free time now.
I'm also trying to work on some tracks/music.
I have a lot of game design ideas, and really love that kind of thing. Not all of my ideas are good, but maybe there will be one you like or find useful? dunno tbh lol

STAR DARTLE
("star dartle: mercy" sounds like a really cool game btw)

I really love it now! amazing!
did i get a power up that speeds the ship? cool.
graphics look absolutely great and the waves/enemies are much more challenging!

The only complaint is that being interrogated by Shiptaur is a bit odd.
I'd find it much more appropriate to have to give a status report to HQ on how many ships escaped, or something like that.
Being told to "grow in power" by your enemy just sounds plain wrong!!!!

Also, I know it was said a shop would clash tonally, but I would really like to see this feature in between levels, as either a function of your score, a response to that question, or simply a choice (not an actual shop) to 1 or 2 powerups.

It'd also be nice to create a type of key or visual guide, perhaps displayed on-screen at the beginning, the title screen or on the pause screen, something so a player can figure out what powerups do and chase them down. There's a lot less this time now :(

Also, how many points does one get for killing stuff?
It might be possible to figure out how many ships were missed by looking at the score and calculating it.
Some enemies seem to have different collision. Not a big deal though.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 13 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Request: make a more general and broad backstory for the whole release. Then, let authors of games in this thing provide their own story if they choose, or defer it to someone else if they don't feel like it.

Essentially I'd like greater control over how my game is presented.
Wendigo
Red Slime

Post by Wendigo »

If you are looking for a more sensible story:
Back in the day the German government was very meticulous about violence in computer games. Titles like "River raid", "Battle zone" or the original "Doom" were put on an index and forbidden to be sold.
These games currently get checked again and about all of them are now removed from the index.
So if at least one of the games from the multicart has some kind of violence in it this could be a plausible reason to release the games today.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Virtuous Sword wrote:The only complaint is that being interrogated by Shiptaur is a bit odd.
I'd find it much more appropriate to have to give a status report to HQ on how many ships escaped, or something like that.
Being told to "grow in power" by your enemy just sounds plain wrong!!!!
Hmm, I guess I need to put a little intro in before starting the game. Shiptaur kinda is your HQ so to speak.
It'd also be nice to create a type of key or visual guide, perhaps displayed on-screen at the beginning, the title screen or on the pause screen, something so a player can figure out what powerups do and chase them down. There's a lot less this time now :(
Is it really not that obvious at first? Power-ups good, everything else bad.
Also, how many points does one get for killing stuff?
It might be possible to figure out how many ships were missed by looking at the score and calculating it.
Some enemies seem to have different collision. Not a big deal though.
Shh...you'll spoil the surprise.
Wendigo wrote:If you are looking for a more sensible story:
Back in the day the German government was very meticulous about violence in computer games. Titles like "River raid", "Battle zone" or the original "Doom" were put on an index and forbidden to be sold.
These games currently get checked again and about all of them are now removed from the index.
So if at least one of the games from the multicart has some kind of violence in it this could be a plausible reason to release the games today.
I realized this sometime last night, just along different lines. It doesn't just have to be a German release, it could be a US release. Remember Mortal Kombat, Night Trap and the ilk? The ones that caused Lieberman and co. to start a senate hearing about it? One look at that from an executive only in it for the money and suddenly the company doesn't have funding anymore. We talked about it before, but we forgot how brilliant it was. After all, none of the games are up to the NES content standards, so why not just go for it full-bore?
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I'm not done, unfortunately. It feels pretty far from it, actually... I really need to get a bulk of the work done.

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=126553

My biggest obstacles at this point I think are stat balancing and enemy AI.
Ps. I love my wife
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

kylekrack, that file doesnt seem to work right: when I finish my turn (the first turn) it cycles through enemies and ends up in a different part of the map. Then I can't go back to the part of the map where my heroes are!

EDIT:
Does this multicart really need a deadline?
If you are releasing this publicly you should take your sweet time to polish and perfect it, creating something worthy of OHRRPGCE
i think a deadline is unnecessary, possibly detrimental, creates pressure, and also I want to join in.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Opps!

I left some NPCs on the map for testing purposes. Thought I had all my bases covered, but forgot to remove those. Let me reupload it real quick.
Ps. I love my wife
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

EDIT:
Does this multicart really need a deadline?
If you are releasing this publicly you should take your sweet time to polish and perfect it, creating something worthy of OHRRPGCE
i think a deadline is unnecessary, possibly detrimental, creates pressure, and also I want to join in.
I say that if the multicart compilation doesn't end at some point, we won't be able to move on to doing some other group project or the community is weighed down with multiple group projects at once, which are very common in the OHR community.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb