Community project cooperative tileset - discussion

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh. I guess Callipygous+1 would be easiest to coordinate.

It's also possible to export a tilemap, not that I'm recommending it.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wendigo
Red Slime

Post by Wendigo »

I also think using the current stable version (Callipygous+1) would be the best choice.
Concerning splitting up the tileset into multiple parts I was thinking of using one tileset for interior and another for exterior.
But I agree that splitting it up even more into tilelayers is a good idea.

So maybe I'll create a structure like this:

Code: Select all

Interior Groundlayer
Interior Upplerlayer
Exterior Groundlayer
Exterior Upplerlayer
A three frame animation sounds good. I think we should reserve the bottom two rows for animated tiles. This would be sufficient for 10 animated tiles per layer.

By the way I intend to start the project somewhere this weekend.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Did we ever decide on whether stuff is scaled to walktall sprites or standard sprites?
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Wendigo
Red Slime

Post by Wendigo »

For this first simple Tileset I'd like to stick to normal sprite size.
In the next community Tileset we can then make tiles suitable for walk tall sprites.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Righto then.

Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I might make a contribution, but I need to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes with the turn order first
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

To reserve a spot, you just post in the thread declaring that you're currently working on it: first come, first served.
But naturally, people could request in advance that they'd like to have the file whenever they have time available.

BMR's additions look great; now it's starting to look like something.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Really nice tree!
Unfortunately I know that it is going to discourage some people from contributing, but I think that if you draw tiles for objects with straightforward forms, like barrels, signposts and flowers, then really basic shading will still fit in fine. So I hope to see more!

I think a second ccTcc in a really simple and easy style (maybe 8 bit and/or something abstract like sheamkennedy's art) could be a good encouragement though.

Note, the tileset is already over half full! We're going to need to split external tiles over at least two tilesets very soon, especially if we want to draw a town.

Also, after trying to place those trees I came up with a list of 9 improvements I should make the map editor -- a lot of annoyances.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wendigo
Red Slime

Post by Wendigo »

Yes that tree looks brilliant, although the colours look a little autumn like in contrast to the grass. But the pallet doesn't have any green colour range that would fit better. I experimented a bit and used shades of the grass colour for the tree. It looks ok too but the contrast isn't very good.

Do we still need my grass corner square at the top left of the Tileset?
I think BMR's tiles should be suited for more purposes than mine.
Attachments
tree.png
tree.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
Last edited by Wendigo on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I don't think the contrast is that poor. If you post it as part of a tileset at 1x zoom then people can always use it if they wish to. Maybe consider it supplementary material, or have summer/autumn variants of the tileset. If space on the tileset wasn't limited there wouldn't be a reason not to put it on. This is really motivating me to implement larger tilesets.

Well, the border tiles you drew are more general than BMR's dirt-to-grass ones, if you're willing to use two 'background' map layers, so would be useful if there are going to be other transitions needed (rather than create more transition tiles).
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

(Re: Wendigo/ccTcc1_07)

Cool! I don't think there's anything wrong with those columns. I anticipated that someone might want to make higher walls or even buildings out of my pretty low walls, but I didn't really provide anything for that.

Seems like we might be drawing ruins rather than a town? We could still have interiors of crumbling buildings and caves. Personally I didn't want to draw any buildings because I'm pretty bad at drawing them.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

If no one else wants to, then I'll take on buildings. Of course, if someone else is already working on them, then I'll defer to that person.

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

am I right in thinking this tileset is themed for civilisation/settlement?
I ask because that fence is not robust enough to keep animals/intruders out.

Therefore it suggests that it is some sort of formality, and it puts me in mind of villages where people stake out their land/territory/property, or erect rope fences to funnel people and crowds. It is very pretty and evocative! Would make a great fence in a tame/peaceful area.

So that would make it vaguely more towards "civilisation" than say "farmstead" or "wilds"
At least, that's what I think.

You could clone those posts to make a more "full" fence, or one might create a fence from boards, reinforced with a cross-post etc.
I tried to create a fence out of what was already there, but can't get it to tile properly vertically :(
Please don't add this in the tileset, I am just showing you what I mean.

I altered the fence design to make it more like planks, as opposed to posts...

That would also depend on the trees in the area, for example.
One would expect to use full poles if trees are in abundance and of the right size and shape.
In an area with large, sparse trees, one would expect to see fences composed of planks.
(I hope that makes sense)
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."