thought experiment: real time menu-based action/combat

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

thought experiment: real time menu-based action/combat

Post by SwordPlay »

I noticed there are quite a lot of options for alternate menus, and it got me thinking about a real-time action game where you select options from a menu.

For instance, one could replace the "main menu" with a custom menu with commands, a la kingdom hearts, or ff:crisis core
The player moves and avoids enemy npcs, projectiles, and things like that on the map

I can see a few ways it might work

-the player opens the menu to select an action, such as magic spell that freezes nearby enemy npcs
Opening the menu would prevent the player from moving at the same time
The menu might disable NPC movement, giving players time to choose an option

-the player opens the menu, but the menu is automatically controllled. It would be configured by the player beforehand, opening the menu is just a formality to access the option. The player doesn't select commands manually, but prepares them in advance. The player can move at the same time as NPCs.

-the game is configured to accept other inputs, and player movement/menu controls are separate and controlled simultaneously

I know there are bitsets for this kind of thing. I would like to know your thoughts.
I realise CUSTOM is not really made for action games, but could possibly be done in a simplified manner.

I am trying to make a prototype of various game systems for fun... I am still learning!

My ideal game is to be able to release all my games on android as well as pcs!
Therefore, using the normal controls is optimal. I think.

If anyone has ideas, wants to discuss, or has insight, I wouldn't mind talking/discussing it!
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

That sounds a bit similar to Tales of Phantasia. Granted, that one also did side-scrolling fighting during combat, but the menu thing sounds similar.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

I've kind of been working a bit with something like this but not real-time. With a little help from the forum I've made a code which makes NPCs on map only move when the hero moves kind of like a rogue-like. I then have game-mechanics/abilities which are accessed through the main menu and choosing an one of these from the menu will close the menu and carry out the function in game (using up a turn and allowing NPC's to move). Hence mine is more turn-based and puzzle-like requiring the player to be strategic in how they move the hero and when they carry out menu driven tasks.

I think real-time sounds neat and kind of makes me think of metal gear solid in the sense that scrolling through the weapons and items menus freezes the game and makes it possible to carry out ridiculous maneuvers.

I think what would be really neat is if you set things up so the menu didn't suspend gameplay. This actually gives me ideas for something more time-sensitive like a castle siege game. Perhaps the game plays out in real time and you just control variables based on menu selections to alter the outcome in some way.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
Xer0.the.Dark
Slime

Post by Xer0.the.Dark »

Actually...I've been experimenting with this in my potential Kingdom Hearts fan game! :D

I'm still a beginner...so...yeah...

My idea for doing the menu was to use certain keys (maybe W,A,S,D?) for menu control...(more like faking a menu, actually...). Like...I have the "menu" in the bottom left, and I was planning to put "(W) - Attack, (A) - Magic, (S) - Items, (D) - Drive Forms" on the "menu" (I'm doing more of a KH2 based thing...). Maybe there could even be a timed key that can be pressed for reaction commands (using slices)? I was planning on having "Summon orbs" as usable items. I haven't entirely planned out the combat yet...

To be honest, I haven't even seriously tested all this yet...I got most of the scripting to work, but haven't seriously figured this all out. xD This is just how I am/was planning on doing it.

I'm also using the "Zelda style" script for combat, which brings up a keyblade when you press (Z). It destroys npcs on touch. (Needs a lot of work for this purpose...) I also attempted to make munny "orbs" appear when a heartless is defeated...and it was sort of successful? I just made an npc with one orb and used "Create NPC" after the keyblade is "summoned" and had them run to the hero's position. It isn't perfect yet...but it's still experimental. :)