Pokemon trainer-styled monster encounter menus

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Pokemon trainer-styled monster encounter menus

Post by jcenterprises »

Basically I want to make a game without random encounters, though leave that as an option with a usable item (similar to how Sword of Jade does this). I want to make it so that you have to go through NPCs instead, and they'll have a field of vision and if you talk to them or they see you, the music changes and they say something before you fight whatever encounter group you want the player to fight, then afterward the music returns to normal and the NPC is permanently destroyed. I know there are script options for this, but it would be kinda tiresome to have to add new scripts for every single encounter, so I think adding options for this in Custom would be faster and more convenient.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

So, is this just a feature request? Not asking for help on how to do this now?

I do actually want to see new NPC activation types including "activate within radius" and "activate on sight". You would be able to use those to script this more easily.
jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Post by jcenterprises »

Yeah, it's a feature request, sorry for the confusion.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, what's confusing is that this is the Q & A forum! There's a thread for feature requests, though you're quite welcome to create new threads too...

I don't see everything you described ever being possible without scripting, but with builtin 'on-sight' npc activation, it could be possible with a 5 line script that you can reuse everywhere.

But the problem with 'on-sight' activation is that there are heaps of variables for how that should be calculated, beyond just sight range: shape of the sight area (cone, rectangle, other, width of cone), and what counts as an obstruction or not (probably not all walls would be suitable). Hmmm, maybe this shouldn't be built-in afterall, but a script you can use easily.