OHR Multicart Compilation

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Willy Elektrix wrote:Cool! The plotscripted intro is pretty sweet. The wagon tearing apart is a nice effect.

Noticed a bug. You probably already know about it, but when the enemies attack, the damage does not display on top of the target hero. See screenshots.

Also, the heroes miss WAY too much.
Haha... yeah, the damage display bug on enemies is one that still goes way over my head. The part that confuses me is why it works for "heroes" and not for enemies, even though they're all just NPC IDs.

Also I haven't even gotten into stat balancing yet. Nor do I really know how to do it, so we'll burn that bridge when we get to it, I guess.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Bob the Hamster wrote: Here are my un-implemented ideas for this game:

* Defeating all targets in a wave should drop a weapon upgrade, making weapon upgrades easy-to-get.
* Taking damage should remove a weapon upgrade, and taking a hit with no weapon upgrades means you die, meaning that your weapon upgrades are equivalent to your ship-health.
* The true goal of the game is not just to complete the level, and not just to destroy all the enemies.
* The current display of number of escapes was for debugging. In the final game I want the player to have to count escapes themselves
* The true goal would come at the end of each stage, where you appear before Lord Shiptaur, and have to apologize for letting enemies escape. He would ask you to estimate how many times you failed him, and you would have to select a number that was close enough (probably just within the right order of magnitude) Lord Shiptaur knows and sees all, so he would always know the correct number, and would thank you for your honesty, or blast you for your dishonesty.
Riffing off this, I got two ideas today while working today:
* If the player gets through the first level without ever pressing the fire button but dodging everything, Lord Shiptaur instructs the player on how the fire button works. If the player gets through another level without firing after this, he interprets this as active insubordination and incinerates him.
* If the player manages to shoot down everything in a straight path, but never presses the movement keys, Lord Shiptaur instructs the player on how to move the ship around.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Fine ideas. Unfortunately there presently isn't any fire button. Maybe add a "fire harder" button.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Alright, so.

Shops are working. All NPCs, flavor text and gettable items and subweapons are implemented. The HUD subscreen is totally done.

Main things that need to be implemented are: scripts for bosses (three of them), enemy projectiles, bigger variety of regular enemies, and a few additional music tracks.

I'll release a beta/playtest download sometime within the next 24 hours.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I lied, it was more like in the next 36 hours.

Just uploaded it to the Games list, please give it a try and let me know if anything isn't working. Hopefully it'll be stuff I don't already know about, including but not limited to:

Canoe doesn't do anything yet
Harp doesn't do anything yet
Blood doesn't do anything yet
Dungeons are pretty pointless/broken right now
No bosses
Enemy variety sucks
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I added maybe 20-30 new textboxes today I think, and altered some miscellaneous properties around the game.
Attachments
A clown who thinks rapitfire spouting of random words is the height of comedy.
A clown who thinks rapitfire spouting of random words is the height of comedy.
Trytuges0053.png (13.27 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Yeah, I already posted this joke.
Yeah, I already posted this joke.
Trytuges0054.png (14.18 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I've tried out most of the newly updated games and here are my thoughts:

Xoo:
Despite liking the original money balance, there's nothing wrong with the new one. One problem I just noticed, despite being in the original release, was that the first use of the computer mentions Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi was invented in 1998, which is a bit later than this compilation would've been fictionally made. I realize it's a minor thing, but once you realize it, it's difficult not to notice it.

Craptactics:
Not much to say that you probably don't already know. The selector thing seems a bit too quick, requiring a very light press in order to move just 1 tile.

Action 37:
Right now what little progress seems to be made is by grinding money. The current number of enemies+their difficulty and the drop rate makes it not so easy. But as long as you add some 1 HP enemies all over or a couple of money chests it should be good. I noticed a few bugs, some easy to fix, some seemingly not so much.
1)I got knocked off screen by one of the wolf enemies and while I could get back on screen, once I did I got stuck. I couldn't repeat this, unfortunately, so I don't know exactly what triggered it. See screenshot for where it happened.
2)The purchasable heart container will disappear if you try to buy it without having the money for it.
3)At the end of the purple swamp, there's a small area you're supposed to be able to get into, but if you go lower than the supposed entrance, you enter that area anyway, just in the trees.
4)Does the shield even do anything right now? I haven't noticed anything.
Another minor thing, the shopkeeper that says "We're all going to die", comes off less as horror-ish and more as melodramatic parody. Maybe have something a bit subtler.
On the plus side, it feels just as grand as a proper full-scale Zelda I clone. I hope the trend continues whenever it's finished.
Attachments
action370000.png
action370000.png (9.87 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Action 37

Despite the tile based movement, the controls actually feel pretty good! Also I laughed pretty hard at "BUY SOMETHING. DAMN IT."

The world seems nice and big. How many screens is it?

The 3 enemy types have different AI. I didn't expect that.

I'm not sure how much content there is to the demo currently. I played for about 20 minutes. I wandered all over the world map. I assume I'm supposed to be buy items to progress but they are way too expensive, which is frustrating because you lose all your money if you die. How much stuff is there to do right now? If I save up enough money is there more to see? Should I keep playing?

At one point, I hit one of the umbrellas back and knock him into a wall. He was then trapped there. That's a bug.

Saving and loading does not work, but I assume you know this.

A dying animation of some type would be good.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

MorpheusKitami wrote:Xoo:
Despite liking the original money balance, there's nothing wrong with the new one. One problem I just noticed, despite being in the original release, was that the first use of the computer mentions Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi was invented in 1998, which is a bit later than this compilation would've been fictionally made. I realize it's a minor thing, but once you realize it, it's difficult not to notice it.
I'll change the Wi-Fi text box.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Willy Elektrix wrote:Action 37

Despite the tile based movement, the controls actually feel pretty good! Also I laughed pretty hard at "BUY SOMETHING. DAMN IT."

The world seems nice and big. How many screens is it?

The 3 enemy types have different AI. I didn't expect that.

I'm not sure how much content there is to the demo currently. I played for about 20 minutes. I wandered all over the world map. I assume I'm supposed to be buy items to progress but they are way too expensive, which is frustrating because you lose all your money if you die. How much stuff is there to do right now? If I save up enough money is there more to see? Should I keep playing?

At one point, I hit one of the umbrellas back and knock him into a wall. He was then trapped there. That's a bug.

Saving and loading does not work, but I assume you know this.

A dying animation of some type would be good.
Thanks for the heads up about an enemy getting stuck in a wall. TMC may have some insights about why it bugs out sometimes - though considering it's really rare to have it happen, getting an occurrence of it for analysis is going to be tough.

There's not much to do. You can buy all of the buyable items and most of them are implemented: the torch burns stuff and the mattock can bust down some hidden wall-rooms.

And sorry but I actually forgot to uncomment the game's load feature, so basically nobody gets to progress much before dying. Believe me, I feel pretty stupid about it. Seriously considering fixing it really quick and reuploading.

To ease difficulty, I just remembered that Zelda 1 had fairy healing places where you could stock up on hearts for free. I'll put one or two of those in the game.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I had a lil playthrough of Action 37 and the tactics game and they look GREAT!!

I realise they're not finished yet, but they are really impressive.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Willy Elektrix wrote:Bare Minimum
*Title
*Name of Fictional Company
*Promotional Blurb
*At Least 5 Complete Games

Optional
*History of Fictional Company
Wintermute, LLC. Cosmic Climb 12-in-1:
Founded in 1990 by Percy Simple and Charlotte L. "Civil" Milton after finishing work on a contract game for a different company. The duo were childhood friends who frequently did contract work for various NES games back in the day, most infamously a licenced adaptation of the film "The Birth of a Nation". [feel free to change this to any other film that wasn't in the public domain then, but is now] With hearts full of determination and wallets brimming with cash, they hired a team and began working on a game that would've "changed the landscape of gaming as we know it".

The visions of the duo seemed to be unclear at first. Simple wanted a game featuring sweeping romance and rivaling literature epics, pushing the NES to the max; Milton wanted to make a game featuring fantastical and science fiction. Their confused visions led to the idea of creating a multi-cart, and thus the Cosmic Climb was born. "A climb to a higher perception of reality" as the unused advertising would've read. By the end of 1990 10 of the 12 were finished and the rest were quickly on the way.

But trimuph turned to tragedy when their financier Harold Walker, lost control of his car and crashed head-on into a semi-truck, and was only identified by his license plate. The effect on the company was devastating. Massive debts revealed to have been incured by Walker meant the company was deep in debt to the wrong people. The company folded and the staff began working for a organized crime syndicate. The former Wintermute employees were frequently arrested for murder and money laundering, with Simple himself being arrested and executed for killing 188 men as an apparent hitman.

Rumors still circulate about Walker merely faking his death and fleeing to Brazil, but beyond low-quality footage on the internet, it is unconfirmed. The remaining founder, Milton, could be found at video game protests, citing such titles as Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and Doki Doki Panic as training children into shooting enemies of the state. In late 2016 she died in a bizarre incident involving another former video game developer and a lightning strike. No further information has been released on the matter, and her remaining family, a niece, has asked me to stop calling her.

The game's existence was unconfirmed for most of the '90s and '00s, but was mentioned on a few conspiracy websites as an experiment by the government. With the death of Milton, the game was finally found in an unmarked box by her niece, who has asked that me to stop calling her. She was gracious enough to upload the nearly finished game, the manual, and the box art. [eliminate/add items as necessary]

I don't know why I bothered with a new name though, HamsterVision is a fine name for a company.
The number the completed game is supposed to have is directly a reference to how many games were supposed to be made for the game, and the finished should well, be the ones finished. In theory we could do what we were discussing a few pages back, have the non-existent games give an error message and just go back to the menu.
*Trailer Video
*Screenshots
Ideally for screenshots the developer of the game would pick out one shot they think showcases their game the best and we'd use that.
Now for the trailer, I'm not going to throw out any definite ideas, but just general suggestions, such as: How long do we want it to be; What aspect of the games do we want to focus on, villains, heroes, etc.,; What kind of music do we want over it; Do we want narration? Now I'm envisioning a two minute trailer, giving us plenty of enough time to show about 10 seconds at least on each game, and focusing on the action aspects.
Also does anyone else here have experience working on videos? I have some, but keep in mind this was about eight years ago in Windows Movie Maker and they were not good. Mind you this was less so because of editing and pacing and more because they were of themselves, not good.

More things to say about Action 37:
1)It's only half as big as Zelda I. Zelda I is 8x16 while this seems to be 8x8.
2)2 down 1 right doesn't have the water properly walled, and via this I was able to glitch into 3 down.
3)Can I just say that the ordinary guy secret is really, really, great?
4)You don't seem to need to be stronger in order to get the blue armor. At least the visual effects of it.

5)The cacti don't seem to have walls, except for one of them.
6)The "Is something wrong?" rabbit has no wall maps on the sections that would normally be black.
7)Might be a good idea to block the player from going behind the talking characters.
8)At 8 down 6 right the purple tiles that are similar to the green tiles are walkable. Is this supposed to happen.
9)Are there any hidden burnable areas that aren't obvious? It feels better to ask instead of just throwing fire at every tree I see.
10)I didn't mention it last time, but outside of the aforementioned melodramatic shopkeeper the NPC dialog is well-written.[/spoiler]
Last edited by MorpheusKitami on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Foxley wrote:Thanks for the heads up about an enemy getting stuck in a wall. TMC may have some insights about why it bugs out sometimes - though considering it's really rare to have it happen, getting an occurrence of it for analysis is going to be tough.
I told you it was broken, but you didn't believe me! I would have to re-familiarise myslf with your scripts, and IIRC it would be a bit of a nuisance to fix. Haven't tried out your demo yet.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

This might sound crazy, but I could just.... leave it broken. I'm going to implement that idea I had where it'd check to see if the hero remains in a walled tile for a certain amount of seconds, then something weird happens and the game 'crashes'. Much easier (and more interesting) than fixing the scripts.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

MorpheusKitami wrote:Wintermute, LLC. Cosmic Climb 12-in-1:
Founded in 1990 by Percy Simple and Charlotte L. "Civil" Milton after finishing work on a contract game for a different company. The duo were childhood friends who frequently did contract work for various NES games back in the day, most infamously a licenced adaptation of the film "The Birth of a Nation". [feel free to change this to any other film that wasn't in the public domain then, but is now] With hearts full of determination and wallets brimming with cash, they hired a team and began working on a game that would've "changed the landscape of gaming as we know it".
Your story is considerably more wacky than Bob the Hamster's. The reasoning behind the title "Climb" was pretty great. We'll see if anyone else comes up with anything else then have a vote.
MorpheusKitami wrote: Now for the trailer, I'm not going to throw out any definite ideas, but just general suggestions, such as: How long do we want it to be; What aspect of the games do we want to focus on, villains, heroes, etc.,; What kind of music do we want over it; Do we want narration? Now I'm envisioning a two minute trailer, giving us plenty of enough time to show about 10 seconds at least on each game, and focusing on the action aspects.
Also does anyone else here have experience working on videos? I have some, but keep in mind this was about eight years ago in Windows Movie Maker and they were not good. Mind you this was less so because of editing and pacing and more because they were of themselves, not good.
I can shoot and edit videos. I can also capture high resolution video of games in action. I can make the trailer if no one else feels like stepping up.

I don't have a lot of ideas though. I was thinking about something like this...

Shot 1: Flashing NES "gray screen"

Shot 2: Someone blowing into cartridge.

Shot 3: Compilation title screen.

Shot 4: Short montage of game footage (10 seconds).

Shot 5: Title card with 2 sentence explanation of "lost multicart" concept

Shot 6: 5 seconds of each game along with their titles
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.