old ohrrpgce game search: penumbra?

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

rinkuhero
Slime

old ohrrpgce game search: penumbra?

Post by rinkuhero »

randomly today i thought of an old ohrrpgce game by the name of penumbra, and i wondered if all trace of it was gone off the internet; i googled a bit and couldn't find anything. anyone remember anything about this game? i'm not even sure if it was ever actually released, but i remember it being an early ohrrpgce game (around the time of the zantetsuken message boards, it was pre-castle paradox and probably even pre-operation ohr). i went through a few ohr game lists and didn't see it listed in any of them. so like if you remember anything about it, or can find any info about it (even old screenshots), or if you have a copy, let me know.
<a href="http://studioeres.com">Radical Poesis Games & Creations</a>
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

That name sounds SO familiar. Was it creepy/horror themed and had weird looking character portraits?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, hi.
I am working on a website archiving OHR games. That game is so obscure that the only place it is mentioned is Charbile's "biglist" of all OHR games (on Moogle1's first OHR site, whch has gone down). Not even Pepsi has a copy. It's never been mentioned on CP or SS aside from when MSB posted a copy of the biglist. The only information listed on the biglist is the name of the author, Sailor Solathei, and that it was "demo" status. Googling that name returns a few hits, including [1] giving some other nicknames that they still use today ("Last online 4 hours ago". Apparently hasn't used "Sailor Solathei" since ~2000). So you could contact her, though practically everyone loses their their old games after 18 years if it's not archived on a gamelist somewhere.
I found the website linked in that signature archived on archive.org, and there's some information about the game here. Mostly the website is about the "Children of Jenova" and other fanfics, which seem to be related to the game.

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... zhV9u29l_o
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
rinkuhero
Slime

Post by rinkuhero »

ah yes, i do remember that that was the name of that developer haha, good work finding as much info as you did. sorry for the delay in reply, i didn't have email notifications on for some reason (not sure how to set the forum to that) and forgot to check back until now. i'll see if i can email her or something and ask about it. edit: her old email seems to have failed. i did find out her real name though, but i don't want to go stalking everyone on fb with that real name over this or something. i really just wanted to see screenshots of that game again, to refresh my memory about it, but it seems that's impossible so far. ah well. maybe she'll google her old game one day and find this thread and then comment haha.
Last edited by rinkuhero on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I guess you could PM her on, what was it... myanimelist.net. I don't think I saw any other way to contact.

Oh wow, I see you put out a call for more betatesters yesterday for SD on Steam. So it's actually going to be released this year (before or after ID2?)
Last edited by TMC on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rinkuhero
Slime

Post by rinkuhero »

definitely before ID2; ID2 is still in the design document / prototype / dialogue writing stage, whereas SD is 99% done, just lacks bug fixing, cutscene illustrations (which i'm going to paint), and a final pass over the dialogue to improve it, as well as probably i'll need to port it from gm7 to gm: studio as well. hopefully this year yeah, depends on how hard those last final things are

oh, myanimelist still exists? didn't consider that, will try that. i think this game came to mind because of ID2 research actually. i was watching a documentary on astronomy, and they mentioned the word penumbra (which is the outer part of the shadow in a partial eclipse), so it reminded me of this game