OHR Multicart Compilation

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

That is a fantastic idea. For that I might be able to help out, after my game is done. Making a Web 1.0 Geocities-esque fake fan page would be within my abilities.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I've been doing some more work on Xoo and Ultra Frontier.

I'm adding lots of cool new items to Xoo. These new items in the shop will let me reduce the price of all the items since there are now many more things to spend money on (I don't want the player to run out of money before they have found all of the xenos). Some of the new items will let you find a few sweet new xenos too!

I made Ultra Frontier control better. I am going to try making it scroll a little slower (to help with eyestrain), but have much meaner obstacles. I'll whip up a few test levels to try out the concept!
Gizmog wrote:My ongoing family emergency has just doubled and I'm gonna be really lucky to even turn in menus. Really sorry, there was no way of foreseeing it and there's no way out of it. I'll still do my best but like.. temper expectations. I gotta go 110% to my family or I'll hate myself forever.
No problem! We'll keep working without you. Whenever you're ready, come back and lend a hand.
Foxley wrote:That is a fantastic idea. For that I might be able to help out, after my game is done. Making a Web 1.0 Geocities-esque fake fan page would be within my abilities.
This could be cool and fun. I'd be happy to plan a site map and write content for the page.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

More comments on Dr. Moonlight.

I beat it... I think.

I enjoy the concept of the game a lot, however there are a few weird design decisions I'm not sure I understand. I need to play it a few more times before I can really figure out how to offer you some advice. In the meantime, here are a few more quick suggestions.

Morpheus: I sent you a PM about this game. Check it out and tell me what you think!
Attachments
What is the special object in this room? When I pick it up, it does not appear in my inventory. Also, there should really be a message when you pick up an item that says, "You found XXX." Having to check in my inventory to see what I just picked
What is the special object in this room? When I pick it up, it does not appear in my inventory. Also, there should really be a message when you pick up an item that says, "You found XXX." Having to check in my inventory to see what I just picked
gameshow0000.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
When you come through this door from the north, the wolfman can immediately attack you since he spawns right by the door. His start position should move so that you can have time to avoid him.
When you come through this door from the north, the wolfman can immediately attack you since he spawns right by the door. His start position should move so that you can have time to avoid him.
gameshow0002.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
Bad wallmap here.
Bad wallmap here.
gameshow0001.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
The dust object is not visible inside this bin. When you pick it up, the only thing to indicate that you found anything is a single beeping sound. The player wouldn't notice this with the sound off. With all the items, there needs to be a text box when yo
The dust object is not visible inside this bin. When you pick it up, the only thing to indicate that you found anything is a single beeping sound. The player wouldn't notice this with the sound off. With all the items, there needs to be a text box when yo
gameshow0003.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
When you use the sandwich items, it targets your enemy by default. Change this so it targets the hero by default. If you aren't sure how, ask and I can help.
When you use the sandwich items, it targets your enemy by default. Change this so it targets the hero by default. If you aren't sure how, ask and I can help.
gameshow0005.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

kylekrack wrote:That actually sounds like good ammo for the website. Some extra reasons the compilation didn't make it through production. I mean, hell, maybe we should all be trying to make more controversial stuff in our games. Get juicy.
I like that idea, at least the first part. Regardless of whether or not the game was supposed to be a licensed release, Nintendo would still try to block its release. Perhaps we can say that a lawsuit was going on, but before it went to the courts, the company folded. Second part I'm not too fond of. The game wouldn't be aimed too far away from the regular NES audience, but if everyone else agrees to it, I'll go along with the tide. Could even try for an Accursed Toys route.
TMC wrote:The fake company website would be pretty amusing! Do you want to create a modern website for a defunct company, or a 1990's website (in lieu of the nonexistence of 1980's company websites)? A fansite about a 1980's company?
I like the fansite idea. Could even say they found one of the prototype cartridges and built an emulator exclusively for it. And instead of putting the interviews and other unreleased games in the manual, we could put those in the site.

@Willy:
Fixed most of the small things, cursors, menus, wallmaps. I'm going to get right on the title screen and the werewolf's position. Since the game is supposed to be winnable without killing any of the monsters, I'm going to adjust the other two certain fight monsters so you can dodge them. The items in the lounge are lead bullets. I'm not so sure I'm going to add text boxes to the item pick-ups, while it would certainly be useful to the player it would make the game less fast-paced in the beginning. And I do want the pace to be fast.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Not making swift progress, but I'm still going. I got a script to work which animates just the speaker in a conversation and it works without any bugs, amazingly.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 1.02.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 1.02.16 PM.png (28.39 KiB) Viewed 609 times
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Minor spoilers about my Zelda clone, in case anyone hasn't picked up on it yet: there's going to be vaguely unsettling themes in it bordering on psychological horror, which was my original impetus for making it. The juxtaposition of things that are familiar, like an old Nintendo game, and something inexplicably not-quite-right where the fabric of the game world is degrading and falling apart at the seams is something that fascinates me. A good example of a game that does this well is Super Plumber Bros.

I think that having at least some of these "rejected by Nintendo for a reason" would work out great thematically.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Foxley wrote:Minor spoilers about my Zelda clone, in case anyone hasn't picked up on it yet: there's going to be vaguely unsettling themes in it bordering on psychological horror, which was my original impetus for making it. The juxtaposition of things that are familiar, like an old Nintendo game, and something inexplicably not-quite-right where the fabric of the game world is degrading and falling apart at the seams is something that fascinates me. A good example of a game that does this well is Super Plumber Bros.

I think that having at least some of these "rejected by Nintendo for a reason" would work out great thematically.
Trytuges is too religious for a mainstream NES title. If I actually finish it.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Xoo: Xeno Xafari is undergoing more development.

I have added 6 new items to the shop and 5 brand new xenos that must be caught in interesting new ways. I'll post a new version when I have it ready. In the meantime, here are images of the main characters and all their cool outfits.
Attachments
Normal Outfit
Normal Outfit
outfit1.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
Fresh Outfit
Fresh Outfit
outfit2.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
Funky Outfit
Funky Outfit
outfit3.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
Furry Outfit
Furry Outfit
outfit4.png (1.78 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Nice. And hopefully they won't be $2000 anymore!

I'm progressing steadily, not as quickly as I'd like since it's only a few weeks 'til the end of the month, but I'm still fairly certain I can get a beta release done by March 1st. Hopefully I could do that and get playtesting/feedback/bug fixes for a couple of weeks before the multicart is ready to be assembled.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Today I added three of the four main attack spells: MagiMissile, Lightning, and Fireball.

MagiMissile has extremely random base damage, chains to itself 66% of the time and 34% of the time thereafter. While focused, you cannot select which enemy it targets. On the plus side, it never misses.

Lightning is a strong single-target spell and it has a chance of stunning an enemy for roughly the same length of time that Sleep would.

Fireball is a medium-power spell, which is focused on the first hit and chains to a spread attack with the same damage.

It's the setup I usually use for Fireball and Lightning in 90% of my games, because I feel like they should be more different than "spread attack with fire element, spread attack with electric element". It's not a lot yet, but it's something.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

How's everyone doing on this? Here's what I've been up to...

Xoo: Xeno Xafari is basically done. I'm having my someone playtest the new version and then I'll give you guys another chance.

Ultra Frontier QQYYZZ: I'm redesigning the first 12 levels for this. Then I'm going to make the rest of the levels. I've improved the controls slightly (not drastically). I also removed all the textures from the walls. It makes it look more bland but it is somewhat less straining to the eyes.

The game is still straining to the eyes though. I tried slowing it down, but the game was no fun. I'm going to put some blank screens between the levels that encourage players to rest their eyes. I'm not sure what else I can do to solve this problem, but I'll keep experimenting.

I'm also helping MorpheusKitani play test his game.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

My game is going well, I'm just hoping I'll have enough time to design 3-4 small dungeons that don't suck. Almost every game mechanic is working perfectly at this point. HUD and pause menu screen are perfect, all in-game items are drawn. Just need to draw a few boss sprites and maybe a couple more enemies and art assets will be totally done. Still need to compose about 4-5 short tunes in Famitracker.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I should have my game ready before March.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

After March 1st, we can all take some time for play testing and bug fixing. If we all play each others' games, we should get lots of feedback.
Foxley wrote:My game is going well, I'm just hoping I'll have enough time to design 3-4 small dungeons that don't suck. Almost every game mechanic is working perfectly at this point. HUD and pause menu screen are perfect, all in-game items are drawn. Just need to draw a few boss sprites and maybe a couple more enemies and art assets will be totally done. Still need to compose about 4-5 short tunes in Famitracker.
This is coming along quickly then. Looking forward to trying out the beta version! I'm delighted to hear "almost every game mechanic is working perfectly at this point". I know you were having some problems with the collision detection and stuff. It's great that you got it worked out.
Newbie Newtype wrote:I should have my game ready before March.
Excited to play this mysterious and beautiful-looking game.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Excited to play this mysterious and beautiful-looking game.
It is in a very playable state right now, I just need to finish having all of the triggers for enemies to appear and put everything together with a title screen on top of finishing up sound design and music.
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb