CAMPAIGN: The Unburning (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Cece

Cece makes for the nearest large Kitchen.

It is a ring of tents around a central courtyard. The whole circle is nestled up against the side of a hill, with pathways going up around it on both sides leading to other kitchens.

The place is bustling. Two different queues of porters are carrying away food. One queue has nicely dressed porters, and the food is covered with fancy metal tray-covers. The other queue has porters dressed more casually, and the food is being carried away in sacks and buckets.

The chefs and chefs assistants are easy to spot, as they are all wearing sky-blue aprons and hats, in contrast to the white garments worn by the chefs in most kitchens.

The two nearest tents to where Cece is standing seem to be devoted to making a giant cauldron of soup (on the left) and roasting a whole dire-boar (on the right)

The central courtyard seems to be largely unoccupied except for the occasional chef or assistant who hurries through carrying a spatula or a pot full of something. Right in the center is a sort of a stage made from tree-lobster crates with a wooden platform on top. Nobody is standing on it.

Sharn

Both teens stop short. The tall one looks completely confused. The polite one looks somewhat panicked.

"I'm sorry!" she says. "We just wanted to see where you are going!"

"Yeah," confirms the tall kid, "You're cool."

From behind her, Sharn can hear the magical voice inside the headquarters counting ominously down from 60

59...58... 57... 56... 55...

Normin

As the voice counts down, one of the students sprints ahead up the stairs and gets the door open.

Instructor Vulgate follows Normin up the stairs. She has to take the steps gingerly with her four tiny hooves.

Upstairs, Normin immediately recognizes two people. A thin aasimar woman is standing in the door of the washroom, looking alarmed. It is Silva

A heavy teifling woman is sprawled on one of the lower bunks. It is Elsinore. Her eyes are closed, but she clearly isn't sleeping. She looks very annoyed by the noise.

"45... 44... 43... 42..." declares the threatening magical voice from downstairs.

Caldon

For 2 silver, Caldon gets himself a half roast sandfowl, an assortment of batter-fried vegetables (still hot!) and some spicy scorpion sauce for dipping.

Upstairs, his apartment is thankfully empty, although yet another business card from Delibes Pitt is on the coutertop. She leaves a new one every single time she shows the apartment to prospective buyers.

The bathtub in this apartment is a bit of a luxury. Like all bathtubs in Great Bakak (which only exist in the upscale buildings), it is small, but it is contoured in a way that makes it comfortable to sit in, with feet extending into the air out one end, and head resting on a water-resistant pillow mounted on the wall.

The water is not hot, but it is pleasantly warm, from sitting in a black tank on the building's roof all day long.

Evangeline

Golgol nods politely to Evangeline. "Very good." It is impossible to see any expression in his masked face or hollow eyes.

On the way back towards her apartment in Marketday, Evangeline sees that many people are out in the streets and talking about the smoke and fire, and sharing rumors. Everyone seems to want to know if there were any fatalities-- if this is another Tragic Fire, like the big one last month.

In the street in front of the dress shop under her apartment, Evangeline runs into Contessa. Contessa is dressed for dancing, plus a coat over the top for modestly. The coat belongs to Evangeline, and was borrowed without asking.

"Evangeline! Ever since I saw the smoke I have been so worried! All I could think about was that firefighting job you said you were going for"

Contessa embraces Evangeline, but immediately pulls back. "Woof! You smell like the whole Smokefields!" she exclaims. "What happened?"

Kailyn

"Delphi... Delphi... not ringing a bell, she must be in someone else's department. If you say she is the right one to be a liason, I'll look up her file and see if I can get her assigned." says Arctor cheerfully.

"Getting some funds raised sounds wonderful. We here at the Executioners don't need any more equipment or personnel, but we are sorely in need of training. Most officers on the street only know how to write a citation for illegal cookfires, or how to confiscate contraband flammables. When an actual big fire breaks out, we just aren't prepared. I am ashamed to say that our slow response made a difference for the worst in last months inferno at the Shortbig House."

"Will fund-raising for the homeless from that fire be on the agenda for your event? If so, I say it can't happen soon enough. Some friends of mine and myself have been working on that-- off-duty-- as it were, and it is infuriatingly challenging to get most of our nobles to open their purses as much as they claim to open their hearts."

Everybody Else

Arcadia -- eating dinner. Cassia is still worried about where the money came from

Ebald -- still near the site of the fire

Petrol -- still near the site of the fire
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

"When I signed up for this fire fighting gig" Evangeline huffs "I didn't think a multiple story building would be our first gig."

"With the Unburning going on, I expected to just get dosh for some rinky dink little fires, but of course it's not that simple...there was panic, garbage flying everywhere, this crazy naked lady..."

Evangeline gives a pause, looking at Contessa's face slowly drain of comprehension.

"I...had a eventful day at work." Evangeline says. Contessa nods understandingly.

Evangeline glances at Contessa's coat. At least the girl has some sense of modesty, though must she raid her wardrobe without any forewarning? That coat belonged to...er...what's his face. The guy with the really nice smile and wicked cheekbones...Evangeline had walked off after a hookup wearing his jacket, and he was none the wiser. Perhaps he figured he'd get it again the next time they met. Just goes to show the benefits of having multiple alias's for those kinds of things.

"Er, Contessa, sweetie," Evangeline says "I dare say that coat looks splendid on you, but did we not agree to, ah, give notice when we borrow each others clothing? I thought we settled that after that time you went out with one of your dates and came back with my shredded bra..."

"Though, no matter. Knock their lights out hun!" Evangeline says reassuringly.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Sharn nodded. "I am cool," she agreed. The two teens didn't seem too threatening. Though if they were crafty assassins, they might gain the upper hand if she lets them stay behind her. "Here look, this is the guild hall! It sounds like there's some sort of celebration. Why don't you both join us." Sharn held in a cackle as she ushered the two would be assassins towards the other potential threat. "I must have been a tactical genius in another life," Sharn said far too loudly to herself.
They'll kill you in your sleep you know.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

ooc wrote:I'm ashamed to say I remember Elisnoire's name but I forgot who she was. I wish threads had a search feature.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

DM wrote:Ah, yes. Normin never knew Elsinore's name. She is the same injured woman that Caldon carried out of the buidling. Normin only saw her leave together with Silva. Here are the three places where Normin saw her:<a href="http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... 28">(1)</a> <a href="www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 81">(2)</a> <a href="http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... 81">(3)</a>
I believe that Sharn is the only person who actually knows Elsinore's name.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin asks quickly, "is it possible to temporarily arrange their names and remove them later? I'm sure these two are here to take shelter in the aftermath of the building collapse."
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

"Oh, absolutely. Many have been left homeless because of these fires, and that should certainly be included in this little fundraiser. I'm sure that we'll be able to talk these nobles into loosening their purse strings, given the right incentive. I fancy myself a diplomat of sorts, and I'm certain that working together we'll be able to convince them of the nobility of our endeavour, noblesse oblige and all that. With luck, we should have this thing up and running within the next few weeks or so."
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Sazae
Red Slime

Post by Sazae »

Arcadia brushes Cassia off. "No, nothing like that. I've got a job. Where's Cassius?" He was usually around, especially now that things were a bit more dire. This made her worried.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Evangeline

"Oh, I didn't realize it was yours", Contessa dismisses the pilfered coat, "It must have fallen on the floor and gotten hung up on the wrong rack."

"I am just so happy you are safe!" Contessa tries to give Evangeline a hug without actually touching her smoke-inundated clothing, then she hurries off.

"I'm dancing at the Prospector's Guild Party tonight, stop by if you have time!"

Upstairs, quite a lot of clothing is spread out on top of the beds and dressers. Only a little on the floor.

Sharn

"Cool! Thanks!" says the tall one

"What's that strange counting voice?" asks the polite one, suspiciously.

"It's music, duh!" says the tall one, leading her inside. "Counting down to the drop!"

As soon as they are inside, the voice says:

"UNAUTHORIZED PERSONS DETECTED"

"UNAUTHORIZED PERSONS HAVE ONE MINUTE TO EXIT THE PREMISES OR FACE PUNISHMENT"

It says this without ceasing its count-down, so the voice is jumbled together with itself saying:

"39... 38... 37... 36... 35... 34..."

Normin

"Yes," says Instructor Vulgate. Just write their names on the "guest" page, along with how many hours they are allowed to remain.
DM wrote:I looked back through Normin's conversation with Silva in the stairwell, and neither of them knows the other's name.
"You said this place was safe, Hat-man!" says Silva, looking both angry and frightened.

Just then they hear the voice redoubled from below: "UNAUTHORIZED PERSONS DETECTED..."

When it has finished its spiel, it is counting, semi-overlapped like: "31-60 30-59 29-58 28-56"

Vulgate looks concerned. The student runs back down the stairs.

Kailyn

"That sounds wonderful!" says Arctor, "The sooner you can do it the better!"

"Is there any other way I can help you?"

Arcadia

Cassia breaks down into tears. "I'm sorry mistress! I shouldn't have helped him keep secrets from you! He has been sneaking out at night and taking side jobs. Please don't be angry with him! He wasn't being disloyal-- he has just be so worried about the money!"

Cassia pulls a rag from somewhere and blows her nose and tries to compose herself. "And now that you have a new job he has been doing it all for nothing! He won't tell me what he is doing, but he said he would be at the Caravan Depot all night long-- I think he is getting mixed up with dangerous people! Maybe smugglers, or worse!"

Caldon -- Filling his bathtub, enjoying the smell of his meal.

Cece -- Still taking in the sights and smells of the large kitchen-tent complex

Ebald -- still near the site of the fire

Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Sharn pushed passed the two teens and stormed inside when she heard the magic voice mention unauthorized persons."What is that?" Sharn demanded with murderous intent in her voice. Sharn knew something like this would happen. Other people were always claiming things that weren't theirs right out from under her. No this time though. Sharn begins to rant as loudly as she can, hardly breathing in between her questions to no one in particular. "Who here thinks I'm unauthorized?! I'm the most authorized! I put out most of that fire myself! Meanwhile, you were here scheming!?" As the students come back downstairs Sharn adds, "Who in Baator are all of you?!"
Sharn was finding it very hard not to give into the voice in her head telling her to kill everyone. The only thing that stopped her was the overwhelming number of combatants she currently faced. Best to use diplomacy for now...
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin lifts his hat, "Ah, very well so. Just a quick scribble of your name and this noise will go away soon enough, hrm?" Before handing over the guest sheet, he quickly writes under the guest panels for them to be allowed for three days.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Somewhere in the past...

There was a stranger in the neighborhood. His clothes were stylish and clean. Coin jingled in the pockets. He smelled of soap bubbles and naivete. It was obvious he was an outsider, dragged into town by some quest beyond the understanding of the common people. Yet he'd been sitting still for hours, spellbound by the leather parcel in his hands. Forgotten behind him was the real treasure, a stack of sandwiches as big as a child. Sustenance for a mission he no longer sought to accomplish.

He was left alone at first. It was too good to be true, a trap, a ruse. But as time wore on, hunger won out. The sandwiches, which had started eye level to a certain aspiring dancer with a terrible accent, were now down to her waist. If she waited much longer, there wouldn't be any left.

And so that aspiring dancer pranced casually by, another hungry hand, another pilfered sandwich from the man's dwindling supply. I wonder if he'll be in trouble for losing them.. she thought, turning a guilty eye back towards the scene of the crime.

Printed on the leather parcel, the object of the man's fascination was a title. An Amateur's Guide to Rousing the Rabble...

Later, in the present...

I should've stolen the book... Cece thought as stage-fright started to set in. All it would take is one gruff voice to put an end to this mission. And how was this going to earn her a meal? Yet she persisted towards that convenient platform, hoping to stay lost in the chaos until she could say what she wanted to say.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

"No, I believe that is all for now. I will get in touch with you as soon as I can with details regarding the fund raiser."

With that, Kailyn makes a deep bow.

"I bit you farewell, good sir, and wish you the best of luck and fortune in your endeavors. Here's to our success in keeping this fair city as beautiful as it can be."

When he's done, and after observing all the proper courtesies and protocols, Kailyn will make his way back to his apartment, of course, keeping an eye out for anything that he could twist or manipulate to his favor. Thus far, things seem to be going fairly well, with nothing too strenuous happening. At later, he'd be meeting with the lovely executioner Delphi, so there's that to look forward to.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Normin

Silva takes the pen.

"Don't sign it, Silva!" croaks Elsinore, opening her eyes. "You don't know what it is."
combative persuasion check wrote:Normin wins, Elsinore loses
"I'm uncomfortable with this" says Silva, "but I am doing it. Elsinore, you are in no shaped to be moved again so soon."

Silva scribbles on the page, and when she finishes, the letters re-arrange themselves slightly. Now right below the list of student names, the guest page reads:
guest page wrote:Silva Rottenmead 2days 23:59
Elsinore Rottenmead 2days 23:59
The voice downstairs stops double-counting over itself, and now it is just doing a single count-down

"53... 52... 51..."

"We should check on that." Says Instructor Vulgate, gesturing towards the stairs with muted urgency.

Sharn

Sharn can see at least a dozen people in the room, not counting herself and the two teens.

"We are Students!" says one, in a placating tone.

"From the University" explains another.

"Oh, cool! A college party!" says the tall teen.

"... 50... 49... 48..." says the magical voice.

"I don't think this is music." says the polite teen.

"We should have added a prestidigitation to highlight the targets" says the student standing nearest to Sharn. "That would have disambiguated the case where authorized and unauthorized persons enter the building at the same time." He and the tall teen are the only two people in the room who haven't noticed how dangerous Sharn looks right now.

"47... 46... 45..."

Cece
DM wrote:The magic tome "An Amateur's Guide to Rousing the Rabble" and its gameplay effects have now been added to my list of artifacts that exist in the city
Cece reaches the platform unmolested. This central courtyard, the direct center of the ring of kitchen-tents is like the eye of a culinary hurricane. All around her is the chaos of chefs and assistants, the whirlwind of steam and spices and spatulas. She is at the calm center, there atop the wooden platform.

Kailyn

Arctor returns Kailyn's bow, and they part as friends.
DM wrote:
BMR wrote:...of course, keeping an eye out for anything that he could twist or manipulate to his favor...
I'll just describe a string of things that Kailyn can see on the walk back to his apartment. You can choose to stop at one if you wish. (and if you stop, you may not see the subsequent ones at all)
Outside the walls of the Executioners guild, there are children playing games in the yards of quaint residential houses.

On the streets of the Marketday district, some people are gossiping about the recent fire. Others are going about shopping. Many stores are getting ready to close, and the busy hour at the taverns and restaurants is beginning.

On the streets of Temple Hill, a lone Mime is putting on a living statue performance. A few passers-by seem amused by this. Others seem offended. So gauche!

The doorman at Kailyn's building is staring curiously at the streak of steam and smoke in the sky as the gentle evening wind slowly dissipates it.

Evangeline -- In her apartment, it is a mess.

Arcadia -- Cassia is pouring her heart out, confessing her fears about Cassius.

Caldon -- Filling his bathtub, enjoying the smell of his meal.

Ebald -- still near the site of the fire.

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

"Targets!?" says Sharn and the voice in her head simultaneously. Sharn could feel the killing intent exploding out of her. Sharn's mind went blank.

Sharn was back home. Across the street, she could see herself. She was a young girl. A group a young boys were gathered around her throwing rocks. She was doing her best to avoid the throws and they were mostly bouncing away harmlessly. Sharn knew what was about to happen. "Stop!" she cried. They did not stop. "Run away! You're all in danger!" They did not run. Sharn tried to sprint towards the scene. She tried to get in between her younger self and the boys. It was too late though. She could see the eldritch energy welling up inside the younger version of herself. As it did, eldritch power swelled up inside of the present day Sharn too.

Back in the fire house, Sharn's eyes had glazed over. She turned towards the student near her that had mentioned targets and shot him with her eldritch blast.
Sharn instantly regretted it.