Another Void Pyramid Android bug

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Another Void Pyramid Android bug

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I’ve got a new bug reported on the Android version of Void Pyramid. After playing for about 2 or 3 hours, the player can no longer see their inventory of items in the items menu. If they uninstall and reinstall the game, they can play again for another couple hours before the bug appears again.

Several days later, they reported that opening the main menu no longer works at all. When they press B to open the menu main, an error message appears (see screenshot), and 2 purple squares appear (see other screenshot).

I asked the player to zip up the contents of the Void Pyramid folder and send it me. I also asked how much storage space they have. Could this be another bug related to insufficient storage space on their device? It seems like that to me.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-01-11-16-55-16.png
Screenshot_2017-01-11-16-55-16.png (519.13 KiB) Viewed 248 times
Screenshot_2017-01-11-14-30-37.png
Screenshot_2017-01-11-14-30-37.png (444.74 KiB) Viewed 248 times
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Yes, full external storage does seem like a very plausible explanation for the error message in that second screenshot.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Seems like we guessed right. His storage space was the issue.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

We ought to figure out a way to detect that situation an provide a better error message
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Seems like this problem happens often enough that it should be prioritised more highly. Luckily we only need to check for the out-of-space condition in a couple places, although not so easy.

Actually, I don't think it's possible to get that specific error message you posted when trying to open the menu. I believe it can only occur when first opening the game.

It also makes me realise that that error doesn't display the actual error message (which would be something like "out of space").
Last edited by TMC on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.