Andy and Ollie Save Christmas!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Soda_piggy
Slime Knight

Andy and Ollie Save Christmas!

Post by Soda_piggy »

Just a little Christmas game I threw together for you guys. Have fun!
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126121

Last edited by Soda_piggy on Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="https://www.sodapiggymusic.com">Soda Piggy Website</a>
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Great looking game! First game I ever made (and it was a co-op with my brother) was a lot like this, piloting a sleigh and dropping presents or bombs ('cause coal would've just been a black pixel) down chimneys, so I'm getting a special dose of nostalgia from this.

I wish I could comment on the sounds but my headphones broke the other night. I love how on the third level the clouds can block some of the roofs and make you have to guess. I'm also pretty sure you can get two green presents down a chimney and darned if I didn't go nuts everytime I saw a green house to try.

My only disappointment is where you can't skip any cutscenes or pause the game, I had a phonecall right as I'd beaten it and had to leave before I could see the end. Does anything happen after the "Thanks for Playing" Message? And didja notice you spelled it "Congratualtion"? If it's any consolation, I've seen a lot of weird engrish misspellings of Congratulations on a lot of game over screens, but I've never seen that one and it might be my favorite.

Perfect game for a Christmas afternoon. You've got a magnificent style.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Cute, fun little game. The sprite animation frames and parallax scrolling look fantastic. Level 3 was kind of obnoxious though, the buildings where there's just a stripe of color at the top became completely obscured by a cloud every now and then, and as a result I had no way of knowing what color present to drop for them. Thanks for making this.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Thanks for the present and Merry Christmas :) Yes, this looks fantastic, and is fun too. Though actually I'm very bad at it; with some more practice maybe I'll be able to map colours to fingers without looking at the bottom of the screen!

(Foxley: I'm pretty sure the variable and maybe sometimes impossible difficulty was the point! (I'm not sure whether it really is impossible sometimes.) Missing a house has only a small penalty. I thought the dark clouds obscuring the buildings were quite clever. On the other hand, there's not much non-graphical difference between stages one and two.)

Typo in the intro: Santa Clause instead of Claus.

Another bug is that although it's possible to drop two presents on the same building with good timing, the second doesn't play a sound effect, so it's not clear that it worked without watching the score (I first assumed it didn't). This is probably because the sound effect is still playing, and the fix is as simple as passing 'true' as the third argument to 'play sound'.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soda_piggy
Slime Knight

Post by Soda_piggy »

Thanks so much for the kind words and bug reports!! Glad I was able to hit the nostalgia for you!

I wanted to add a bunch more features and spellcheck, but I got super behind schedule. I'll be going back and tweaking later. I'll make it so you can pause in stage select and skip cutscenes.

After the ending where it says thanks, nothing extra happens, sadly. I wanted to do more with the ending but felt compelled to get it up by this morning.

Level 3 was meant to be obnoxious, but maybe it was a bit too much. The harder levels use a higher multiplier so you get more points if you get good at it. I was planning to make multiple endings depending on how good you are and how fast you finish.

The game was actually hard for me too when I was programming and testing it. I intended for you to maybe fail once or twice and then get better and better until you could get the good and then great endings. Again, stuff for later updates.

Also, at this moment, it is partially playable on mobiyle, which was my original plan. Little Christmas game that you can whip out and play for a few minutes during down time between unwrapping presents and meals, etc.

Anyway, thanks again! I'll keep everyone updated on changes here. Happy holidays!!!
<a href="https://www.sodapiggymusic.com">Soda Piggy Website</a>
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

On my second attempt I got the good ending with a 2-3 minutes to spare; I'm mostly able to hit the correct button now! (And I didn't play for 15 minutes the first time, but I was nowhere near beating it regardless.)

How does the scoring actually work? I was disappointed that I had a max combo of 37, but my score was hardly higher than normal. Maybe combos don't give points at all? The end of level screen doesn't say anything, which doesn't seem right for a game where maximising points is necessary to win.

Stage three isn't really 'obnoxious'; clouds that cover most of a building are actually pretty rare. I think having to get used to identifying the colors from a small stripe at the top was a greater difficulty.

Hitboxes are a little confusing; it seemed like they're slightly forwards or backwards relative to the buildings (can't remember which right now).

So you'll be ready to release on Android soon? It's too bad you didn't make it for Christmas.
roboman
Red Slime

Post by roboman »

Best Christmas game I have played ever.