Blackeagle: For all your 4chan reaction image needs

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Blackeagle: For all your 4chan reaction image needs

Post by Mammothstuds »

Blackeagle is a strange bird. Described as a "surreal" game where all war propaganda is true, Blackeagle seems largely reminiscent, intentionally or not, of the kind of OHRRPGCE games you'd see in 2007 on Angelfire. Its graphics are what one would call "charming" if they were not already familiar with their ilk - ergo, not an OHRRPGCE afficionado like me. Its gameplay is functional yet somehow lacking, giving players a myriad of battle options, most of which do more or less the same thing. But while Blackeagle is by no means a stellar game, there is something to be said for the experience of Blackeagle.

Dumping players straight into a Star Wars-reminiscent scene of what appears to be burkha-clad militiamen standing on a podium above a crowd of onlookers, Blackeagle will quickly reveal its true purpose - as soon as one of them mentions "Our lord and savior Adolf Hitler", it is obvious that Blackeagle is and will continue to be a veritable gold-mine of quotes and images to be posted to the internet. That is the beauty of Blackeagle - it is exploitable, and so in spades.

The music, while obviously laughable, ties in perfectly with the game's statement - with each clashing, out-of-tune MIDI note, the game reminds you of just what it is. And, while not exactly pretty, presentable, or - for lack a better word - GOOD, it is right up my alley.

Blackeagle is not for the faint of heart. Blackeagle is not the kind of game that you will enjoy if your idea of "humor" is Family Circus or kitten memes, or even mainstream comedy. Blackeagle is a game that breathes irony, and exhales the veritable carbon dioxide of that same irony condensed into a blunt, biting weapon of satire upon satire...

...of itself.

And that, friends, is why I will always love Blackeagle.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Was the music really that bad? I was kind of expecting complaints about the graphical work since this was my first game to actually put my own work in the forefront and even then I was attempting to mimic stereotypical '90s comic book art. But it's hard to hear that the music is terrible, since I thought I was doing a good job. I guess I need to rethink my musical work.
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

MorpheusKitami wrote:Was the music really that bad? I was kind of expecting complaints about the graphical work since this was my first game to actually put my own work in the forefront and even then I was attempting to mimic stereotypical '90s comic book art. But it's hard to hear that the music is terrible, since I thought I was doing a good job. I guess I need to rethink my musical work.
Well, you did have quite a few good ideas with some of the melodies. There were, I admit, quite a few songs that I was genuinely impressed by, and the music did fit the moments it accompanied. You have potential; you should probably start by finding a better music program though. MIDI simply won't cut it.