just wanna make an infinite textbox

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

TabletopTimeTurner
Red Slime

just wanna make an infinite textbox

Post by TabletopTimeTurner »

I'm making a demo as a project for a class and I'm nearly done im just adding a little to be continued text thing but the thing is I don't want the box to go away so like, the moment you get the box youre stuck and that's the end of the demo.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

So weird you'd ask, I only now realize I haven't seen a game do this in years. Used to happen all the time in the day. The trick we always used then should still work now. Take that textbox you want to be the last one and link it to itself. Now it'll flicker every time somebody hits enter, that might not be what you want.

So what you'd want to do is, before that last textbox, run a script with the SuspendBoxAdvance command. The textbox will open, but nothing the player can do will get rid of it.

Code: Select all

plotscript,EndOfTheLine,begin
SuspendBoxAdvance
#The box is shown, but you can't do nothin about it!
Showtextbox (1)
end
If you wanted to be a little fancier, you could add some Waits and a GameOver so they won't have to close the window manually, but there is a certain thrill to trapping someone this way. [/code]
Last edited by Gizmog on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Well, the flicker is not entirely bad, it indicates your keypress was seen and is being ignored!

But of course if the textbox says END OF DEMO and you can't advance, it's pretty obvious why not.